Author Topic: darwins/karma question  (Read 465 times)

Offline RubyLeo

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +13/-0
  • WWGHA Member
darwins/karma question
« on: October 27, 2013, 07:50:17 PM »
I've looked high and low for info on what it means to give someone a darwin, or what the minus sign means - and how to do so (and why).  I imagine it is somewhere right in front of my face, but will someone please have compassion on a confused newbie and explain please?

Thanks! :)
"Any system of religion that has anything in it that shocks the mind of a child, cannot be true. "
~ Thomas Paine

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +272/-77
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: darwins/karma question
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2013, 07:53:41 PM »
Touch the green/red buttons on a persons comment, it'll take to a page where you write the reason and hit submit, whola.

-Nam

Offline RubyLeo

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +13/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2013, 07:58:52 PM »
Thanks Nam.  I don't have the option of seeing green/red buttons at this point - I am betting that like my avatar, I have to hit a minimum post amount before getting the privilege of awarding Darwins and whatnot!
"Any system of religion that has anything in it that shocks the mind of a child, cannot be true. "
~ Thomas Paine

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +272/-77
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2013, 08:00:50 PM »
Thanks Nam.  I don't have the option of seeing green/red buttons at this point - I am betting that like my avatar, I have to hit a minimum post amount before getting the privilege of awarding Darwins and whatnot!

Well, when you see them they are under your avatar, or avatars/names in general.

-Nam

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +272/-77
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2013, 08:02:56 PM »
If you ever have the need to smite me in the future, go ahead, I can be an asshole at times[1].

-Nam
 1. most times

Offline RubyLeo

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +13/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2013, 08:05:21 PM »
If you ever have the need to smite me in the future, go ahead, I can be an asshole at times[1].

-Nam
 1. most times

ohhhh smiting sounds FUN!

thx for head's up to look under the avatar.  still don't have the option but I'm glad to know where to look for when I'm ready to smite!  8)
~ Thomas Paine

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +272/-77
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2013, 08:07:05 PM »
I'm mainly applauded for my humor, and mainly smited for being an asshole.

;)

-Nam

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +167/-71
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2013, 08:07:27 PM »
The option to give a darwin requires a minimum amount of posts, I think it might be either 50 or 100. At that time, the green and rec icons will appear below users avatars and can be clicked on. Probably the best way to test this is to keep an eye out for the icon as your post count increases, then find one of my posts and try hitting the green icon to make sure its working.

I've made this suggestion to a few newcomers, and one day one of them will reward my efforts by doing it. I anticpate you will be this person, and to show my appreciation I have composed a short verse:

Ruby Leo, thank God she joined
The phrase 'lurker' after her was coined
She hung out with some lutherans and occasionally a baptist
if you give me a karma I'll make a video and rap this

She home schools her kids, she hasn't yet said why
I'm hoping that she will because it's something we might try
She went crazy in college but has not elaborated
by this Australian theist shes been 'versed'...but not debated.
The 2010 world cup was ruined for me by that slippery bastard Paul.

Offline RubyLeo

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +13/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2013, 08:08:23 PM »

;)

-Nam

really and truly an asshole? Or just unwilling to candy coat?  Honest question.
~ Thomas Paine

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +272/-77
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2013, 08:14:45 PM »

;)

-Nam

Depends who you ask, I guess but I did recently state that a member who implied committing suicide, or dying in some way probably should have committed to that then coming here. Or something. I got a lot of smites for that.

-Nam

Offline RubyLeo

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +13/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2013, 08:18:40 PM »
The option to give a darwin requires a minimum amount of posts, I think it might be either 50 or 100. At that time, the green and rec icons will appear below users avatars and can be clicked on. Probably the best way to test this is to keep an eye out for the icon as your post count increases, then find one of my posts and try hitting the green icon to make sure its working.

I've made this suggestion to a few newcomers, and one day one of them will reward my efforts by doing it. I anticpate you will be this person, and to show my appreciation I have composed a short verse:

Ruby Leo, thank God she joined
The phrase 'lurker' after her was coined
She hung out with some lutherans and occasionally a baptist
if you give me a karma I'll make a video and rap this

She home schools her kids, she hasn't yet said why
I'm hoping that she will because it's something we might try
She went crazy in college but has not elaborated
by this Australian theist shes been 'versed'...but not debated.

BRAVO BRAVO!!!  I'm so impressed!  If I could give you a Darwin I would do so, lol.   ;D

p.s. I no longer homeschool. It was a total blast when I did so though (just my oldest, through the elementary years).
~ Thomas Paine

Offline RubyLeo

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +13/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2013, 08:21:59 PM »

;)

-Nam

Depends who you ask, I guess but I did recently state that a member who implied committing suicide, or dying in some way probably should have committed to that then coming here. Or something. I got a lot of smites for that.

-Nam

Ahhhh I see.  I'm not going to judge that because I didn't see it in context.  I shall wait and see and make my own opinion.  I'm known among friends and family as an "inappropriate laugher" -- in that I am known to laugh during extremely inappropriate times.  Like say, a funeral.  I am NOT proud of this, just stating the facts.  ;)
~ Thomas Paine

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +167/-71
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2013, 08:27:30 PM »

p.s. I no longer homeschool. It was a total blast when I did so though (just my oldest, through the elementary years).

My 8 year old has behavioural problems which are sometimes extreme. He's also pretty much off the charts in intelligence testing and is pretty much bored at school. We'd be interested in home schooling him, but its hard to manage with me working full time and my wife part time at University.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +272/-77
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2013, 08:29:11 PM »

;)

-Nam

-Nam

Ahhhh I see.  I'm not going to judge that because I didn't see it in context.  I shall wait and see and make my own opinion.  I'm known among friends and family as an "inappropriate laugher" -- in that I am known to laugh during extremely inappropriate times.  Like say, a funeral.  I am NOT proud of this, just stating the facts.  ;)

Just so people don't think I'm leaving anything out, she apparently has/had cancer but I haven't believed one thing she has ever said, and I don't like her, so me saying that about her (or to her) doesn't bother me, at all. Whether I am right or wrong about her (in concern with the "cancer") is irrelevant to me based on the fact I don't like her, at all. To everyone else it's relevant whether it's true or not thus the smiting.

-Nam

Offline RubyLeo

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +13/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2013, 08:43:05 PM »

My 8 year old has behavioural problems which are sometimes extreme. He's also pretty much off the charts in intelligence testing and is pretty much bored at school. We'd be interested in home schooling him, but its hard to manage with me working full time and my wife part time at University.

Feel free to message me off board if you'd like.  My son was off the charts smart but very "asperger-like" and not ready for school emotionally/socially. He was the square peg and school the round hole.  This is the son that stumped his youth minister by the way, lol. I'd wager a guess your son has "behavior problems" because school can be a nightmare for kids of very high intelligence. You can ignore me, I'm a bit opinionated on that! ;) Homeschooling worked beautifully for us; I understand your time constraints, however.  Anyway, I'll be happy to discuss with you via private message if you'd like!  :)
~ Thomas Paine

Offline RubyLeo

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +13/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2013, 08:49:42 PM »

Just so people don't think I'm leaving anything out, she apparently has/had cancer but I haven't believed one thing she has ever said, and I don't like her, so me saying that about her (or to her) doesn't bother me, at all. Whether I am right or wrong about her (in concern with the "cancer") is irrelevant to me based on the fact I don't like her, at all. To everyone else it's relevant whether it's true or not thus the smiting.

-Nam

Based on what you've shared that I've seen, you are comfortable calling a spade a spade. I'm far more of a wuss.  I won't touch the cancer thing, but I understand not believing someone online.  Whether you were right/wrong/asshole/deserving of a smite is irrelevant to me since I just "met" you.

~ Thomas Paine

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +167/-71
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2013, 08:55:01 PM »

Feel free to message me off board if you'd like.  My son was off the charts smart but very "asperger-like" and not ready for school emotionally/socially. He was the square peg and school the round hole.  This is the son that stumped his youth minister by the way, lol. I'd wager a guess your son has "behavior problems" because school can be a nightmare for kids of very high intelligence. You can ignore me, I'm a bit opinionated on that! ;) Homeschooling worked beautifully for us; I understand your time constraints, however.  Anyway, I'll be happy to discuss with you via private message if you'd like!  :)

He has been diagnosed ADHD, ODD and they are seriously investigating "Callous Unemotional". It's been a bit of a nightmare for us. Our 12 yo daughter has aspergers.

Anyway, thanks for sharing but seeing as home schooling really is out of reach for us at the moment probably just have to hope that the elimination diet he has just started bears (ironically) some fruit.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +272/-77
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2013, 08:56:36 PM »

-Nam

Based on what you've shared that I've seen, you are comfortable calling a spade a spade. I'm far more of a wuss.  I won't touch the cancer thing, but I understand not believing someone online.  Whether you were right/wrong/asshole/deserving of a smite is irrelevant to me since I just "met" you.

I can be pretty intense. Just warning you. Which means if you say something I don't like, I will say something that may be quite negative.

-Nam

Offline RubyLeo

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +13/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2013, 09:04:29 PM »

I can be pretty intense. Just warning you. Which means if you say something I don't like, I will say something that may be quite negative.

-Nam

Well I consider myself warned.  I can be sensitive, so I'll bear that in mind. However, I'm not shocked that you are intense, given that you had the courage to challenge people in positions of authority at a very young age.  My brother was/is like that.  It's fun to watch him until he sets his laser-sharp-criticism onto me, then it's not so fun.  :P
~ Thomas Paine

Offline RubyLeo

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +13/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2013, 09:05:57 PM »
Hey the red/green buttons finally appeared!  Thx for the help!
~ Thomas Paine

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +677/-1
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2013, 09:26:02 PM »
Nam is an a$$hole. But he is our very own a$$hole. :P
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline RubyLeo

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +13/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2013, 10:51:05 PM »

That's the feeling I'm picking up on!  :laugh:
~ Thomas Paine

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +272/-77
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2013, 10:55:13 PM »

That's the feeling I'm picking up on!  :laugh:

She only says that so I'll always be nice to her. Well, it won't work![1]

;)

-Nam
 1. maybe

Offline Jonny-UK

• Graduate
  • Darwins +31/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2013, 02:28:24 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCFowMpLmAc&feature=player_detailpage

Sorry Nam, I just couldn't resist the clip
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 02:30:21 PM by Jonny-UK »
"Do I look like someone who cares what god thinks" - pinhead

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +272/-77
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2013, 02:44:16 PM »

Hey, that asshole turned out to be a real bad guy. I'm not his type of asshole.

-Nam

Offline Jonny-UK

• Graduate
  • Darwins +31/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2013, 02:57:30 PM »

Hey, that asshole turned out to be a real bad guy. I'm not his type of asshole.

-Nam
Your right, he did.
I do apologise. ;D
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 03:47:04 PM by Jonny-UK »
"Do I look like someone who cares what god thinks" - pinhead

Online LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +119/-6
  • I'm Your Nurse, Not Your Waitress...
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2013, 05:07:25 PM »

World's Best Asshole Song...

It doesn't make sense to let go of something you've had for so long.  But it also doesn't make sense to hold on when there's actually nothing there.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +272/-77
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2013, 05:30:26 PM »
That's me! I always thought that Denis Leary was my long lost other older brother. Of course he may be more of an asshole than me, I would never shit on public toilet, or in one for that matter.

-Nam