Author Topic: How to delete a forum account.  (Read 925 times)

Offline eddy_ydde

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-1
  • WWGHA Member
How to delete a forum account.
« on: October 26, 2013, 05:31:28 PM »
Hello,

Does anyone know how I would go about deleting my account from this forum?

Kind Regards

E.

Offline Zankuu

• Reader
  • Darwins +125/-2
    • I am a Forum Guide
Re: How to delete a forum account.
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2013, 05:39:18 PM »
Why? I'm not sure if it's possible or not.
Leave nothing to chance. Overlook nothing. Combine contradictory observations. Allow yourself enough time. -Hippocrates of Cos

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +123/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2013, 06:09:19 PM »
Hello,

Kind Regards

E.

That is not easy to do and we routinely refuse to do it. The automatic deletion of posts associated with the account makes conversations in threads look odd and disconnected (because they are). If you don't want to be on the forum any longer, just walk away.

John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2013, 06:23:30 PM »
Once you are part of the collective there is no escape. haaaaaaaaa.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +408/-5
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2013, 02:09:43 AM »
As Chronos said, not something we do without good cause.

And as he also says - if you don't want to be here any more, just don't log in.   If you find temptation too much, try this.

In Notepad, type a string of random characters without looking.  Double click on the string to select, then hit Ctrl and C to copy.  Then go into your profile, and account settings.  In the "choose" and "verify" password boxes, hit Ctrl and V to paste in that nonsense string.  Type your current password at the bottom, and hit the Change Profile button.

You will now have a password for the site that you cannot use, which will help you to stay away.  Although password resets and reminders ARE still available, it requires a little more deliberate effort to "come back" than it does to just log in.
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +175/-73
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2013, 04:17:03 AM »
Burn all Internet devices and move to the jungle. It's the only escape.
The 2010 world cup was ruined for me by that slippery bastard Paul.

Offline Jonny-UK

• Graduate
  • Darwins +31/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2013, 04:20:53 AM »
pray to god to do it for you  &)
"Do I look like someone who cares what god thinks" - pinhead

Offline hickdive

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +32/-0
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2013, 07:47:41 AM »
I suspect you're just upset that your arguments gain no traction here.

It happens quite frequently that people arrive here, highly-impressed with their own intellectual superiority and wielding arguments that are all-too-familiar and easily rebutted, as yours have been.

They then flounce off, denouncing atheists in general and users of this forum in particular as stupid because we don't see the self-proclaimed brilliance of those arguments and instead reduce them to ashes.

The smarter ones leave quietly to hopefully take on board what they've learned. Others engage in theatrical departures. The really poor engage in flouncing off and then return.
Stupidity, unlike intelligence, has no limits.

Offline eddy_ydde

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2013, 08:59:19 AM »
I suspect you're just upset that your arguments gain no traction here.

It happens quite frequently that people arrive here, highly-impressed with their own intellectual superiority and wielding arguments that are all-too-familiar and easily rebutted, as yours have been.

They then flounce off, denouncing atheists in general and users of this forum in particular as stupid because we don't see the self-proclaimed brilliance of those arguments and instead reduce them to ashes.

The smarter ones leave quietly to hopefully take on board what they've learned. Others engage in theatrical departures. The really poor engage in flouncing off and then return.

What is it with half the people on this site? I only asked was it possible to delete an account and you go all deep and philosophical.  Answer the question if you like but keep your subjective opinions to yourself dude!

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +267/-31
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2013, 09:12:11 AM »
So why no responses to the people who offered what you say you wanted?  Why only respond to Hickdive?

Keep in mind that Hickdive posted after the helpful posts were already made.  You'd already been given the answer to the question you asked.  What's left but commentary?
The highest moral human authority is copied by our Gandhi neurons through observation.

Offline hickdive

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +32/-0
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2013, 09:51:58 AM »
What is it with half the people on this site? I only asked was it possible to delete an account and you go all deep and philosophical.  Answer the question if you like but keep your subjective opinions to yourself dude!

I thought you'd gone. Evidently simply not coming back isn't good enough and you have to someone else help you.

Anyway, your question has already been answered several times by other posters. Your reaction is not to simply leave but to leave with a theatrical flourish. I doubt I could add to the previous answers and you're not smart enough to understand the ones you've been given. So why add to them?

If you don't want to read the opinions of others then perhaps you shouldn't participate in internet forums, dude?

Offline eddy_ydde

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2013, 10:15:03 AM »
So why no responses to the people who offered what you say you wanted?  Why only respond to Hickdive?

Keep in mind that Hickdive posted after the helpful posts were already made.  You'd already been given the answer to the question you asked.  What's left but commentary?

The previous posts made it clear that it isn't possible to delete an account and I thank the individuals for pointing this out.  The last post had nothing to do with the question and was posted after the question was answered, so as far as I was concerned it was just posted by someone who has nothing better to do but browse around the forum attacking anything that doesn't fit with their logic.

If anyone still requires a response to their posts above please let me know and I would be glad to do so otherwise we can take it that this case is closed :)

Offline eddy_ydde

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2013, 10:23:15 AM »
What is it with half the people on this site? I only asked was it possible to delete an account and you go all deep and philosophical.  Answer the question if you like but keep your subjective opinions to yourself dude!

I thought you'd gone. Evidently simply not coming back isn't good enough and you have to someone else help you.

Anyway, your question has already been answered several times by other posters. Your reaction is not to simply leave but to leave with a theatrical flourish. I doubt I could add to the previous answers and you're not smart enough to understand the ones you've been given. So why add to them?

If you don't want to read the opinions of others then perhaps you shouldn't participate in internet forums, dude?

Look guys, would you snap out of it and stop jumping to conclusions. I never said anything about deleting the account that I'm currently posting from!

Move on to some other thread.

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +275/-34
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2013, 10:32:26 AM »
Look guys, would you snap out of it and stop jumping to conclusions. I never said anything about deleting the account that I'm currently posting from!

Liar, liar, pants on fire.

Bold mine.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline eddy_ydde

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2013, 10:45:01 AM »
Well guys, if you're all so smart, try and work out what other account I own on this forum ;)

Offline hickdive

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +32/-0
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2013, 11:11:16 AM »
You did read the forum rules, didn't you?

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +297/-82
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2013, 02:04:54 PM »
As Chronos said, not something we do without good cause.

And as he also says - if you don't want to be here any more, just don't log in.   If you find temptation too much, try this.

In Notepad, type a string of random characters without looking.  Double click on the string to select, then hit Ctrl and C to copy.  Then go into your profile, and account settings.  In the "choose" and "verify" password boxes, hit Ctrl and V to paste in that nonsense string.  Type your current password at the bottom, and hit the Change Profile button.

You will now have a password for the site that you cannot use, which will help you to stay away.  Although password resets and reminders ARE still available, it requires a little more deliberate effort to "come back" than it does to just log in.

That doesn't work unless you also get rid of you're e-mail account. I tried that once at another website, it sent me a "we miss you" automatic message 6 months after I left, and told me, in the message, my name and password.

Unless this website doesn't do that?

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +267/-31
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2013, 02:18:23 PM »
... as far as I was concerned it was just posted by someone who has nothing better to do but browse around the forum attacking anything that doesn't fit with their logic. ...

Sounds like internet forums in general...
The highest moral human authority is copied by our Gandhi neurons through observation.

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +408/-5
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2013, 01:52:16 AM »
Well guys, if you're all so smart, try and work out what other account I own on this forum ;)

Thank you for advising us that you are breaking the rules that you read and signed up to when you joined.  We will begin the process of banning this account, and have some very good tools to identify (and then ban) your other account/s.
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?

Offline Ambassador Pony

• You keep what you kill.
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +71/-4
  • illuminatus
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2013, 06:44:27 PM »

Not the type of challenge you want to throw around on the internet, Patrick.

You believe evolution and there is no evidence for that. Where is the fossil record of a half man half ape. I've only ever heard about it in reading.

Offline Mooby

• Reader
  • Darwins +69/-24
  • So it goes.
    • Is God Imaginary?
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2014, 12:46:50 PM »
I only asked was it possible to delete an account
Yes, it is possible. 

Deleting an account is a "permission" in the forum software.  Admins are part of a "group" that has every permission, so they have the permissions to delete accounts and to change permissions (i.e. determine who else can delete accounts).  Mods may or may not have the permissions to delete accounts and/or change permissions, depending on how the admins configured their group.  You and I are members of post-count based groups that likely all use the "regular members" permissions, and we do not appear to have the permissions to delete accounts or change permissions.

Will the admins/mods delete your account for you on request?  Their answer in this thread seems to be a resounding "no."

Is that a clear enough answer?
"I'm doing science and I'm still alive."--J.C.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +297/-82
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2014, 01:44:32 PM »
Mooby,

His comment was from five months ago.

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline Mooby

• Reader
  • Darwins +69/-24
  • So it goes.
    • Is God Imaginary?
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2014, 08:10:12 PM »
Hrm, why did I see this thread as bumped?

Methinks a post was deleted.  :police:
"I'm doing science and I'm still alive."--J.C.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +297/-82
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2014, 09:18:28 PM »
Hrm, why did I see this thread as bumped?

Methinks a post was deleted.  :police:

It happens.

-Nam