Author Topic: New and ready to learn  (Read 1150 times)

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
Re: New and ready to learn
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2013, 11:06:52 PM »
Hi neopagan, thanks so much for the warm welcome! I'm so happy to be here. :)

Sounds like we have a similar background of hanging on for a loooong time.

About my husband, I'll be happy to respond, as best as I can.  His parents were both atheist, therefore he knew nothing else.  When dating, religion just wasn't something we talked about (I was so off and on even at that point - it didn't bother me that he didn't have a belief system). 

He had no problem with the times I wanted to attend church; we both liked the idea of the fellowship and family-friendly activities - he was willing to just go with the flow; but when we both realized that the church we were attending was promoting creationist theory and near-literal interpretation of the bible, we were both sufficiently freaked out to stop going. And by mutual agreement, we made the decision to never go back to any church.

My husband is a perfect complement to me - he is extremely laid back and goes with the flow; I'm very passionate and intense.  Together we make a great team. 

I'd describe him as an atheist by default who is not concerned in the least with these matters. I'm the one fascinated with it to the point of near obsession - to him, it's no big deal, it's all he has known, he's totally comfortable with it.  I love that he was always willing to support me - and I have to say he admitted great relief at my transformation into atheism.   ;D

Thanks! Glad to hear it has worked out well for you both - I love a happy ending!

Sadly, I spent a looong time in those religions actually listening and buying in (fundy-lite).  My family is still heavily into it, so the struggle now is not going bonkers listening to it. lol
If xian hell really exists, the stench of the burning billions of us should be a constant, putrid reminder to the handful of heavenward xians how loving your god is.  - neopagan

Offline RubyLeo

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +13/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2013, 11:22:23 PM »

Thanks! Glad to hear it has worked out well for you both - I love a happy ending!

Sadly, I spent a looong time in those religions actually listening and buying in (fundy-lite).  My family is still heavily into it, so the struggle now is not going bonkers listening to it. lol

That's most unfortunate, ugh - I'm sorry to hear it. I hope you don't get a lot of flak about it?
"Any system of religion that has anything in it that shocks the mind of a child, cannot be true. "
~ Thomas Paine

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2013, 11:26:30 PM »

That's most unfortunate, ugh - I'm sorry to hear it. I hope you don't get a lot of flak about it?

Nah, only when I am awake.   ;)
If xian hell really exists, the stench of the burning billions of us should be a constant, putrid reminder to the handful of heavenward xians how loving your god is.  - neopagan

Offline RubyLeo

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +13/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2013, 11:31:11 PM »
^well that sucks.  :(   At least you have this place for a refuge!
"Any system of religion that has anything in it that shocks the mind of a child, cannot be true. "
~ Thomas Paine