Author Topic: Multiple Universes  (Read 557 times)

Offline hickdive

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +33/-0
Multiple Universes
« on: October 25, 2013, 11:47:24 AM »
Stupidity, unlike intelligence, has no limits.

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +294/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
Re: Multiple Universes
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2013, 11:51:42 AM »
Interesting.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken/Lucifer/All In One/Orion.

Offline shnozzola

• Reader
  • Darwins +110/-2
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2013, 06:36:46 PM »
Thank you Hick.  Good Stuff.

From the article:
In this way of thinking, the universe we see is merely a bubble in a much larger cosmos. This cosmos is filled with other bubbles, all of which are other universes where the laws of physics may be dramatically different to ours.

I see the physics of this being like dropping stones in a lake causing circles that meet.

What if the "nothingness" that is the black space of our universe is eternal (in age and distance)?  On one of the lectures we post from time to time - Krauss or Weinberg or whoever - someone says, " in the very, very far future, our universe  will have expanded so far, a more local area (such as only our expanded milky way galaxy) is all a being looking through a telescope would see."

What if, in that very very far future, our milky way is the expanded universe that is seen, with millions of big bangs having started what the future beings will see as galaxies?  If the theory that any area of "nothing" in black space is unstable is true,  possibly every 100,000 years (a drop in the bucket of a eternal universe " filled with" black space) or so a galaxy can be "big-banged" into existence anywhere.  You know, in our small, say, 2500 years of science, we know so little.  14 billion years is a drop in an eternal bucket.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 06:44:48 PM by shnozzola »
“The best thing for being sad," replied Merlin, beginning to puff and blow, "is to learn something."  ~ T. H. White
  The real holy trinity:  onion, celery, and bell pepper ~  all Cajun Chefs

Online wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +83/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2013, 08:09:05 PM »
Whoa. Still too soon for a definitive answer, according to the link, but fascinating nonetheless.

I'm sorry my late stepfather didn't live to hear this; he'd be electrified by it. Thanks, hickdive.
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +354/-85
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2013, 10:07:08 PM »
I never thought about it in those lines but I have thought perhaps this wasn't the first or only Universe.

I've been writing a novel for the past 3 years (series) that deals with such a question.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Offline Backspace

• Reader
  • Darwins +56/-0
  • IXNAY
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2013, 08:59:16 PM »
More problems for the Genesis account of creation

What, more than pure preposterousness?[1]
 1. Not sure if that's a real word or not, but given the subject, I think it fits
There is no opinion so absurd that a preacher could not express it.
-- Bernie Katz

Offline Mrjason

• Reader
  • Darwins +103/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2013, 08:05:28 AM »
Good article. Sadly the the answer as to why the universe looks like this is because goddidit. Oh yes he did.

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +551/-19
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2013, 08:39:26 AM »
So, these "bubbles"... how many are there? Finite or infinite? Finite and will grow to a limit, or finite with the capacity of infinite growth? Is there more matter than antimatter in our universe because the antimatter sheered off and became another universe with equal but opposite characteristics? If the physics in another universe are different, is the "fine tuning" simply one of several possible settings? Or are the physics the same but we are dealing with a different sort of matter? Another universe must have "universal laws.", mustn't it?

Anyway, another universe, even one, would explain why I can't find my small cross-point screwdriver anywhere.

Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +817/-6
  • If you are religious, you are misconcepted
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2013, 09:28:55 AM »
There are some that think black holes spawn whole new universes, while still being black holes in our own universe. And presumably, if that is true, those universes have black holes that spawn other universes. Here are a couple of links:

http://www.universetoday.com/104863/

You have to sign in to National Geographic to read this one, but that's not a bad thing...
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2010/04/100409-black-holes-alternate-universe-multiverse-einstein-wormholes/

If science ever figures out exactly what is going on, it will be a bit disappointing, because we'll have to discard some pretty cool theories. My favorite is that we are some sort of hologram. Not because I like it or think it true, but because it is so strange to think about. Sadly, and the new agers have jumped on the idea and think it proves everything about vibrations and all the stuff that they have ever believed.

But here is a link anyway:
http://news.techeye.net/science/scientists-plan-test-to-see-if-the-entire-universe-is-a-simulation-created-by-futuristic-supercomputers#ixzz2EvauuhC7

As long as we aren't going to know in my lifetime, I love it that I get to think about so many scenarios. Keeps me from being bored.
Jesus, the cracker flavored treat!

Offline median

• Reader
  • Darwins +201/-16
  • Yahweh: Obviously not obvious.
    • Talk Origins
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2013, 03:37:57 PM »

Awesome article.

Looking back, I just can't see how I believed the religious nonsense for so many years! Reality is SO MUCH BETTER (and stranger, and extraordinary, and breathtaking, and...you get it) than fiction! I live near the Hubble Telescope and my girlfriend and I go there regularly, just to have lunch, talk to the scientists there, and ponder great things. I just really can't ask for more. Who needs religion when we have reality!
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. Carl Sagan