Author Topic: I do believe in God! [#690]  (Read 775 times)

Offline DL

• Fellow
  • Darwins +0/-0
I do believe in God! [#690]
« on: November 16, 2008, 06:03:08 PM »
I'm writing to you just to tell you. That I'm praying for you!
I do believe that God loves you as He loves me.
God bless you!

"Tudo o que é verdadeiro, honesto, justo, amável e de boa fama, se há alguma virtude, e se há algum louvor, pensem nessas coisas" ( Filipenses 4:8 )
<><

[name]

Offline WellManicuredMan

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
Re: I do believe in God! [#690]
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008, 06:08:04 PM »
God bless you!

Likewise, Mr. (or Mrs., or Ms.) [name], I'm writing to you just to tell you that I'm praying to the Flying Spaghetti Monster for you.
I do believe that the Flying Spaghetti Monster loves you as He loves me. May he touch you with His noodly appendage! RAmen.

Offline tomthecool

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2008, 06:09:17 PM »
I'm praying for you!
So... God knows we don't believe in him, and chooses not to help us. He then asks you to ask him to help us, which he has already decided not to do.

Good luck with that.
Some say I am the cool Tom... others wouldn't.

Offline Irish

• Fellow
  • Darwins +18/-0
  • Moraxella catarrhalis on BA
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2008, 06:11:00 PM »
God bless you!

You can talk to yourself all you want... it hasn't affected me at all.

As for God's love:

Micah 5:15 And I will execute vengeance in anger and fury upon the heathen, such as they have not heard

And also: http://www.evilbible.com/Murder.htm
La scienze non ha nemici ma gli ignoranti.

Offline Hermes

• Professor
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • 1600 years of oppression ends; Zeus is worshiped.
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2008, 06:20:03 PM »
That's too bad you believe in God.  The Hindus expect you will return as a cockroach.
Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons. --Michael Shermer

The history of religion is a long attempt to reconcile old custom with new reason, to find a sound theory for an absurd practice.  --Sir James George Frazer

Offline bgb

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +8/-0
  • That felt great.
    • BGBART SHIRTS AND GIFTS
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2008, 06:27:33 PM »
And god will answer yes, no or wait.  I guess that about covers it.
"A dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way." -Jules Winnfield

Offline Dissenter

• Graduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • Quid, Me Anxius Sum?
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2008, 10:39:57 PM »
God bless you!

"Tudo o que é verdadeiro, honesto, justo, amável e de boa fama, se há alguma virtude, e se há algum louvor, pensem nessas coisas" ( Filipenses 4:8 )
<><

[name]

Excellent.  How about you pray for me and I'll think for you?
What is above all needed is to let the meaning choose the word, and not the other way around.

-George Orwell

Been caught making shit up again? Attend the I don't know 12 step program for help.

Offline oneking

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2008, 08:36:21 PM »
What an unfortunate thread.  A well-meaning but unhelpful post, followed by scornful responses.  Give the person a break, guys.  I didn't sense anything mean-spirited in their post, did you?  Christians don't always represent themselves well.  I agree.  But Atheists have their less-than-stellar moments, too, as I think this thread demonstrates.  I think both sides need to step up their game, with all due respect. :)

Offline singlecrochet

• Graduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2008, 08:45:31 PM »
I would like to say that I do agree with oneking.  Yes, the impulse to say these sarcastic remarks is definitely there, however, it's not likely to entice someone to join in the conversation.  Having come from a Christian background I know, I was THERE.  The whole "I'm praying for you" bit is out of a genuine concern for another, not a mean, spiteful thing. 

I'm on the other side now, but I remember being a Christian and at that time there's no way I would have ever gotten on these forums because of the "talking down to" that sometimes happens.  (Yes, sometimes it is called for, but not always.)

FWIW

"All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power and profit."
Thomas Paine

"P.S. I pray God sees to it that you get presents this year." - Deelvrd

Offline oneking

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2008, 08:59:29 PM »
Well put, my friend.  Frankly, no matter which side you're on, if you truly believe what you say you do, it would seem that your desire would be to help the other person who's terribly misguided.  Either they're misguided for believing in Santa Claus and allowing themselves to miss out on life because of an old book that holds them down, or they're misguided for believing that something comes from nothing and that existence has no ultimate purpose.  Either way, it appears that both sides would seem sad and unfortunate to the one looking from the opposite end.  So efforts to reach out and bridge the gap, I think will ultimately do the most good.  Fair enough?

Offline Boots

• Reader
  • Darwins +101/-0
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2008, 07:53:49 AM »
If you want to actually "do" something for me, I beg you don't pray.  Instead, enjoy the simple beauty of something in the world (sunset, sunrise, mountain, a single leaf, children if you have any) for what it is, nothing more and nothing less.  Enjoy your life TODAY, this moment, without wasting your time and energy on superstition, even for just a single moment, for me, in lieu of prayer.  OK?
It's one of the reasons I'm an atheist today.  I decided to take my religion seriously, and that's when it started to fall apart for me.
~jdawg70

Offline singlecrochet

• Graduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2008, 03:15:11 PM »
That is fair.  Certainly.
"All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power and profit."
Thomas Paine

"P.S. I pray God sees to it that you get presents this year." - Deelvrd

Offline mac2x

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2008, 10:45:40 PM »
That's too bad you believe in God.  The Hindus expect you will return as a cockroach.

how about you what are are you expecting to be?????

Offline Hermes

• Professor
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • 1600 years of oppression ends; Zeus is worshiped.
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2008, 10:49:35 PM »

Your question doesn't follow mine.  Do you want to re-state it so that I understand what you're really interested in?
Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons. --Michael Shermer

The history of religion is a long attempt to reconcile old custom with new reason, to find a sound theory for an absurd practice.  --Sir James George Frazer

Offline tomthecool

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2008, 12:37:11 PM »

You're using Pascal's Wager. You think that "by believing in a God, your chances of believing in the correct God are better than that of an atheist, therefore it is more likely you will go to heaven".

What if God exists, but hates theists - so he'll only send atheists to heaven?
Looks like your entire reason for belief has failed.
Some say I am the cool Tom... others wouldn't.

Offline Ambassador Pony

• You keep what you kill.
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +71/-4
  • illuminatus
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2008, 01:01:06 PM »
What an unfortunate thread.  A well-meaning but unhelpful post, followed by scornful responses.  Give the person a break, guys.  I didn't sense anything mean-spirited in their post, did you?  Christians don't always represent themselves well.  I agree.  But Atheists have their less-than-stellar moments, too, as I think this thread demonstrates.  I think both sides need to step up their game, with all due respect. :)

I sensed lots of implicit mean spiritedness, you did not?
You believe evolution and there is no evidence for that. Where is the fossil record of a half man half ape. I've only ever heard about it in reading.