Author Topic: Women in Israel  (Read 268 times)

Offline churchgoingatheist

• Freshman
  • Darwins +2/-0
Women in Israel
« on: October 23, 2013, 10:52:28 AM »
http://www.npr.org/blogs/parallels/2013/10/22/239347445/ultra-orthodox-towns-election-puts-gender-rules-to-the-test

I heard this news story on NPR yesterday.  It's about a town in Israel where orthodox women are defying norms by running for town council. 

I know I don't really know what life is like over there, but I tend to have the impression of Israel as a pretty progressive, advanced place.  I've always been particularly impressed that decades ago they elected a female Prime Minister (Golda Meir), whereas so many nations--the USA most conspicuously--have not done so yet. 

But this news story points out that even in such a modern nation, religious norms still serve to oppress.  They even made women sit in the back of the bus!  The more I learn about orthodox Judaism the more it infuriates me.  It may not breed the same kind of violence as fundamentalist Islam--at least, not at the moment--but it is as backwards and oppressive in many ways. 

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +307/-82
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: Women in Israel
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, 10:59:53 AM »
Wasn't their first PM a woman?

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +657/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2013, 01:58:31 PM »
They even made women sit in the back of the bus!  The more I learn about orthodox Judaism the more it infuriates me.  It may not breed the same kind of violence as fundamentalist Islam--at least, not at the moment--but it is as backwards and oppressive in many ways.

they try to enforce their stupid rules everywhere.
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/20/nyregion/bus-segregation-of-jewish-women-prompts-review.html?_r=0
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/22/nyregion/hasidic-jews-turn-up-pressure-on-city-to-accommodate-their-traditions.html

Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +180/-8
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2013, 09:46:25 AM »
In a lot of ways some in Israel treat women the same as Islam does.  Seems that Abraham should have killed both sons and we might not be dealing with all this BS today.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Dr H

• Student
  • Darwins +14/-0
  • Irritant
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2013, 03:08:52 PM »

-Nam

David Ben-Gurion was trans?

Whoa... who knew?  :o

Dr H

"I have nothing to say and I am saying it and that is poetry."
                                                           -- John Cage

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +307/-82
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2013, 04:25:40 PM »

-Nam

David Ben-Gurion was trans?

Whoa... who knew?  :o

I was thinking of Golda Meir, my bad.

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey