Author Topic: Camping vs Politics ~ An Analogy.  (Read 185 times)

Offline MadBunny

• Fellow
  • Darwins +110/-0
  • Fallen Illuminatus
Camping vs Politics ~ An Analogy.
« on: October 31, 2013, 01:57:41 AM »
http://www.religiondispatches.org/archive/atheologies/5983/a_year_after_the_non-apocalypse%3A_where_are_they_now/

For a while, their message was everywhere. They paid for billboards, took out full-page ads in newspapers, distributed thousands of tracts. They drove across the county in RVs emblazoned with verses from the books of Revelation and Daniel. They marched around Manhattan holding signs. They broadcasted day and night on their network of radio stations. They warned the world.

http://www.amazon.com/When-Prophecy-Fails-Leon-Festinger/dp/1578988527

“Although there is a limit beyond which belief will not withstand disconfirmation, it is clear that the introduction of contrary evidence can serve to increase the conviction and enthusiasm of a believer.”

When the world failed to end, they clung more tightly to their belief. Rather than folding, they doubled down.

More than anything, I think this particular event illustrates a lot of the problems we have in this country.  The idea that we have so much invested in a particular thought or ideology that when confronted with actual evidence, people are inclined to simply double, or triple down on their ideology in order to not be wrong.

Now, in the real world we know that doesn't work, but within the sphere of politics, magically it... can.

What I find myself wondering is; is there a real consequence for the people who foster these kinds of manufactured crisis?  It doesn't really seem to be that there is.  Sure, they may lose a bit of 'credibility' but in return they've collected their fortune, and when they leave their followers are quickly forgotten about.

Give a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night.  Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +290/-80
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: Camping vs Politics ~ An Analogy.
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 02:45:30 AM »
We are in a nation of Capitalism, and sadly the population is filled with dupes.

-Nam
This is my signature "Nam", don't I have nice typing skills?

Offline MadBunny

• Fellow
  • Darwins +110/-0
  • Fallen Illuminatus
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2013, 02:02:58 PM »
Sure, but what I'm after is the correlation between the ideology of people in politics who have 'gone too far' for a reasonable position to be pulled out of their stance.

They've basically run down the slippery slope of self projection and their only course is to metaphorically face downhill and run full speed.

Campings cult following was the most obvious recent example of this, but if we look at today's politics; we see that otherwise smart people have staked out a position where failure to be right puts them in a terrible position.

Normally it's fairly easy to see if an idea or political position is balanced; and thats through the simple expedient of being able to explain the opposing view without resorting to rhetoric or fallacies.  When it becomes impossible to state something reasonably, it's fair to say that it's an unreasonable position.
Give a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night.  Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Dante

• Reader
  • Darwins +70/-8
  • Hedonist Extraordinaire
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2013, 02:09:36 PM »
Sure, but what I'm after is the correlation between the ideology of people in politics who have 'gone too far' for a reasonable position to be pulled out of their stance.

Good analogy, MB. I've noticed it too, that trait in many of my friends. To try to talk about gun control[1], or Obamacare, or abortion, or gay rights, or anything that goes against their pre-conceived notions illicits an automatic "lalala, I can't hear you!" response, and reasonable discussion is right off the table. It usually escalates in to some sort of shouting match, with the shouter unable to even grasp the basics of the other side of the argument.

Sure, I may do it sometimes as well, but I like to think I am able to at least understand the stance of the competing sides of an issue.
 1. contrary to what screwtape might believe of me
Actually it doesn't. One could conceivably be all-powerful but not exceptionally intelligent.