Author Topic: Oprah is an anti-atheist  (Read 2554 times)

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +678/-28
  • Karma mooch
Oprah is an anti-atheist
« on: October 18, 2013, 03:40:59 PM »
I'm not shocked.  Her horrible magazine is/was a bastion of unending woo.

She interviewed Diana Nyad, who is an atheist.  Apparently that could not compute with the Empress of Haufraus.

a reaction to that:
http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/our-humanity-naturally/201310/why-oprahs-anti-atheist-bias-hurts-so-much

In the interview she is chatting with endurance swimmer Diana Nyad, who recently swam from Cuba to Florida at age 64. Nyad unhesitatingly identifies as an atheist when asked about her beliefs, then adds that she sees no contradiction between her atheism and her ability to experience awe, or in her words to “weep with the beauty of this universe and be moved by all of humanity.”

Oprah, however, apparently found this description unsettling, for it seems that in her view atheists must be cold, emotionless rationalists. “Well I don’t call you an atheist then,” Oprah responded to Nyad's disclosure. “I think if you believe in the awe and the wonder and the mystery, then that is what God is.”

Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: Oprah is an anti-atheist
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2013, 03:47:27 PM »
Yeah, I get that a lot off/online. If I think the trees or sky is beautiful, or if something moves me in a positive manner, I'm either secretly a believer in Biblegod  or it's working through me whether I believe or not.

Complete nonsense. As if all humans are unfeeling, emotionless people who can only feel something with a "god" making us feel.

Nonsense.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +185/-8
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2013, 04:14:17 PM »
Yeah, if we were unfeeling we would be republicans.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2013, 04:52:27 PM »
Oh cool, so Oprah is into redefining someone based on her own misguided prejudices?  Bet her O-ness wouldn't go for anyone doing that to her...
If xian hell really exists, the stench of the burning billions of us should be a constant, putrid reminder to the handful of heavenward xians how loving your god is.  - neopagan

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2013, 04:54:06 PM »
Yeah, if we were unfeeling we would be republicans.

No, Tea Party Repubelicans.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Online Backspace

• Reader
  • Darwins +55/-0
  • IXNAY
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2013, 09:56:29 PM »
Puh... And how many decades has Oprah been shacking up with her man-friend?
There is no opinion so absurd that a preacher could not express it.
-- Bernie Katz

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +130/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2013, 06:18:15 AM »
Oh cool, so Oprah is into redefining someone based on her own misguided prejudices?  Bet her O-ness wouldn't go for anyone doing that to her...

... where does it stop? where do you dare me to draw the line?  ..

You got the body now you want my soul ...

...  I, I'll do anything that you want me to but

I can't go for that ... OOOOOOOOOOOOOOhh Noooo

John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +127/-6
  • I'm Your Nurse, Not Your Waitress...
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2013, 08:37:09 AM »

Hermes bags, anyone? SMDH!  >:(

Edited to add that I would have made that same observation both pre and post belief.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 08:39:13 AM by LoriPinkAngel »
It doesn't make sense to let go of something you've had for so long.  But it also doesn't make sense to hold on when there's actually nothing there.

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2013, 10:11:11 AM »
Excellent article.  Thank you for sharing.

I hope that Oprah reads it. 

It is clear that I am in the minority here, but I both like and admire Oprah.  Probably, more than anyone else in the "one percent." 

She is a rags to riches story.  As a survivor of childhood sexual abuse, born to a single teenaged mom, she managed to pursue both higher education, and her dream of working in media, at a time in which women, especially black women, were not a common sight on tv. 

She was bold enough to take the role of Sophie in The Color Purple.  That is when she first hit my radar.  I was scandalized that ET director Steven Spielberg was attempting to make a movie out of the groundbreaking book.  But I fell in love with the movie, and many of the cast.  Oprah took on what was perhaps the most difficult role in the whole film - that of a bright, self-aware woman with goals and dreams and a seemingly infinite amount of strength, who was broken, both physically and emotionally.  Oprah's performance was beyond spectacular.  Hauntingly, painfully, spectacular. 

I like her talk show.  It was her great rise to fame, and fortune.  I don't think it was the best thing on tv, but it was interesting and bold, and of course as her fame and power grew, the most interesting people in the world vied to be her guests. 

She promoted reading to an audience of many non-readers.  If Oprah promoted a book, it was on the NY Times best seller list immediately.  I'm pretty sure that I first read quite a few books, including The Red Tent and the Poisonwood Bible due to the Oprah hype.  The Poisonwood Bible is certainly still among my top ten favorite all-time favorite works of fiction.  If you haven't read it, you should!!!

Oprah rise to fame was so unlikely.  Women on tv are supposed to be pretty.  That is still true today, but it was even more true when she started out.  Famous black people were generally athletes in that era.   She was neither.  Her intelligence and her charisma, coupled with a whole lot of luck, were her only tools.

Oprah has dedicated a significant part of her life to fighting prejudice.  As this insightful article demonstrates, even the greatest champions in the struggle against marginalization can in fact, continue to carry their own biases.

Yeah.  I hope she reads he article.  I hope she thinks about it and learns.  And I hope that she takes what she has learned, and shares it with her followers. 

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +127/-6
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2013, 10:37:59 AM »
But Oprah has deep religious views.  So if she were to join this forum, would she be called stupid and an idiot like so many theists before her?  I always had accepted people and their views with them, as part of them, whether or not I agreed, regardless of whether they fit with mine.  Oprah did not do so with this woman.  She recast Ms. Nyad's views to fit her own SPAG, right to her face.  I find that disrespectful, condescending and offensive.
It doesn't make sense to let go of something you've had for so long.  But it also doesn't make sense to hold on when there's actually nothing there.

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2013, 11:04:42 AM »
Does O really have a dog in the fight to justify trampling on Nyad's stated views?  It's not like Nyad came out and said she thought child sexual abuse was good for little girls, and O felt compelled to take her on about her stupidity.

Now O's faithful masses have another arrow in their quiver to poke atheists with - blessed by the lack of critical thinking from the mighty O who has her own SPAG history.  I hope she gets some backlash and addresses this in a more thoughtful way.
If xian hell really exists, the stench of the burning billions of us should be a constant, putrid reminder to the handful of heavenward xians how loving your god is.  - neopagan

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2013, 11:27:32 AM »
Does O really have a dog in the fight to justify trampling on Nyad's stated views?  It's not like Nyad came out and said she thought child sexual abuse was good for little girls, and O felt compelled to take her on about her stupidity.

Now O's faithful masses have another arrow in their quiver to poke atheists with - blessed by the lack of critical thinking from the mighty O who has her own SPAG history.  I hope she gets some backlash and addresses this in a more thoughtful way.

Doubtful.

-Nam

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +408/-5
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2013, 05:24:23 AM »
(Oprah) recast Ms. Nyad's views to fit her own SPAG, right to her face.  I find that disrespectful, condescending and offensive.

Absolutely.  I get this a lot from believers for whom it is okay to rudely dismiss my beliefs and preferences because they want to stamp their own badge on it.

These days, I normally respond that "well, I don't call you a Christian because you don't fit my stereotype of a Christian - what would you like me to call you instead?"

If they refuse my self-label, to my face, I will do likewise.
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?

Offline Tero

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +18/-5
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2013, 06:32:30 AM »
Religin is feelings! If you have feelings, you are religious!

Offline Angus and Alexis

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
  • Residential Tulpamancer.
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2013, 07:03:42 AM »
Out of all the times i have heard this argument, i still cannot comprehend why some theists think that atheists have no feelings, love, awe, radda radda.
Rule 1: No pooftas. Rule 2: No maltreating the theists, IF, anyone is watching. Rule 3: No pooftas. Rule 4: I do not want to see anyone NOT drinking after light out. Rule 5: No pooftas. Rule 6: There is NO...rule 6.

Online jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2013, 07:42:21 AM »
Quesi - I agree, Oprah is an amazing success story.  There is a lot about her that I like.  But, this is another case of someone with so much influence, making a mistake and not even realizing it.  Hopefully, this will get around to her, and she can rethink her approach.

What she did has a harmful effect on the cause of allowing atheists to live openly and freely in societies.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +678/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2013, 08:56:00 AM »
Out of all the times i have heard this argument, i still cannot comprehend why some theists think that atheists have no feelings, love, awe, radda radda.

bigotry.  They have been told these things by other bigots.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline Angus and Alexis

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
  • Residential Tulpamancer.
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2013, 09:01:40 AM »
Yeah...

I still cannot believe that in this world there are such people.

Why cant our race just...you know...not be assholes? ;D
Rule 1: No pooftas. Rule 2: No maltreating the theists, IF, anyone is watching. Rule 3: No pooftas. Rule 4: I do not want to see anyone NOT drinking after light out. Rule 5: No pooftas. Rule 6: There is NO...rule 6.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +678/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2013, 09:32:46 AM »
Why cant our race just...you know...not be assholes?

Our species, not race.  We are assholes because we are just dumb animals.  We don't expect chimps or tigers to not be assholes, so let's not be so hard on ourselves.  We would need some form of selection to weed out the assholes - prevent them from breeding -  then in a few thousand years we'd be a kinder species.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline Mrjason

• Reader
  • Darwins +93/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2013, 09:53:55 AM »
We would need some form of selection to weed out the assholes - prevent them from breeding -  then in a few thousand years we'd be a kinder species.

Sadly the ones doing the selecting would be assholes, mercyfully we would have all died out in a few thousand years if this were to go ahead.

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +127/-6
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2013, 11:46:16 AM »
These days, I normally respond that "well, I don't call you a Christian because you don't fit my stereotype of a Christian - what would you like me to call you instead?"

This.  This was her opportunity to rethink her stereotype of an atheist and learn more but she apparently did not even glimpse it.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2013, 12:08:58 PM »

Our species, not race.  We are assholes because we are just dumb animals.  We don't expect chimps or tigers to not be assholes, so let's not be so hard on ourselves.  We would need some form of selection to weed out the assholes - prevent them from breeding -  then in a few thousand years we'd be a kinder species.

Not my type of asshole. People tend to not only like my type but also need my type from time to time. My services were required with certain family members just last week. If my type of asshole wasn't around to take care of these little problems then the world would be one giant pussy.

Frankly, I don't know if that's bad, or good.

;)

-Nam

Offline Jontom10

• Graduate
  • Darwins +14/-0
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2013, 12:16:53 PM »
Mebbe Oprah can cough up two billion or so out of her fortune and give it to the poor like her fkin god commands and then she can start to preach
Hasa Diga Eebowai

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +678/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2013, 01:14:37 PM »
One of the things I don't like about O is not just how disconnected she is from reality, but how condescending she is about it.  That whole thing about her telling people they should have their staff put clean, pressed, 600 thread count sheets on their beds, every day.  Or when she went on the "totally not lesbian road trip" with Gail and realized that for the last 20 years she'd had a driver and had forgotten how to pump gas. 

Oprah should be BBQ'd and fed to poor people.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2013, 01:18:29 PM »

Skeptic reads this he'll presume you're being literal.

;)

-Nam

Offline stuffin

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2013, 12:23:42 PM »

That could solve world hunger.
When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

Offline Truth OT

• Reader
  • Darwins +88/-7
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2013, 02:02:21 PM »
To me I think this could be a case of Oprah being beholden to her (seemingly) deistic or pantheistic beliefs and expecting that if others knew what she knew, they'd be beholden as well. It sounds as if Oprah was patronizingly saying that she felt someone else was misguided and that Oprah knew better an was an authority of sorts in that she had the right to correct poor little misguided atheist.

Rather arrogant and presumptous she was, and she delivered her 'correction' as if she was a teacher and swimmer was her student. She tends to take that approach with quite a number of her guests as many of them allow themselves to be beholden and somewhat in awe of the mighty O and I think that that type of worship can definately go to someone's head.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 02:16:29 PM by Truth OT »

Offline Truth OT

• Reader
  • Darwins +88/-7
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2013, 02:05:09 PM »

Not my type of asshole. People tend to not only like my type but also need my type from time to time. My services were required with certain family members just last week. If my type of asshole wasn't around to take care of these little problems then the world would be one giant pussy.

Frankly, I don't know if that's bad, or good.

;)

-Nam

So in some respects bad is not only needed, but it is in fact good? I'll buy that.

edit - fixed quote
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 02:10:46 PM by screwtape »

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +678/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2013, 02:10:06 PM »
Rather arrogant and presumptous in she was and she delivered her 'correction' as if she was a teacher and swimmer was her student.

you've heard of "mansplaining".  This was O-splaining.

Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials