Author Topic: U.S. Gov. Shutdown and Science  (Read 273 times)

Offline shnozzola

U.S. Gov. Shutdown and Science
« on: October 17, 2013, 05:32:53 PM »
Here are website screen shots of parts of agencies involved and the amount of scientific research the United States does that was idle through the shutdown, such as the Department of Agriculture, Center for Disease Control, The US National Library of Medicine, The National Cancer Institute, EPA, NOAA, The National Human Genome Research Institute, The National Institute of Allergies and Infectious Diseases, National Institute on Aging, NIH (Mental Health and Medical Services), NIDDK, National Weather Service, National Park Service (had you heard?), U.S. Food and Drug Administration,  The Dept. of Energy, The Smithsonian Museums,  The US Department of Health and Human Services, US Forest Service, National Science Foundation,  Research in Antarctica.

And some still say, what a waste of funds - but which ones can we do without?  Many have helped the world for decades.  Americans should be much more angry.  How naïve, how stupid,  the people are that we have elected.

https://plus.google.com/photos/103101121348859087349/albums/5929920507941837585?banner=pwa

http://phylogenomics.blogspot.com/2013/10/the-government-shutdown-of-science.html
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 05:36:08 PM by shnozzola »
“The best thing for being sad," replied Merlin, beginning to puff and blow, "is to learn something."  ~ T. H. White
  The real holy trinity:  onion, celery, and bell pepper ~  all Cajun Chefs

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
Re: U.S. Gov. Shutdown and Science
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 06:14:13 PM »
Amazing... both in quantity of scientific effort of the agencies involved, and the abject stupidity of the current batch of nimwits in DC.

Where I sit in "god's country" I will not vote for an incumbent... these folks have to go.
If xian hell really exists, the stench of the burning billions of us should be a constant, putrid reminder to the handful of heavenward xians how loving your god is.  - neopagan

Offline Vinz Clortho

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • Keymaster of Gozer
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2013, 06:53:22 AM »
As someone involved with the Antarctic Program, I can tell you just how tragic the government shutdown was for some of the hardworking scientists and teams. Several projects that had been in the planning stages for years were suddenly cancelled, with others that had been ongoing for decades put in serious jeopardy of losing critical data sets.

The primary support contractor, Lockheed Martin, ran out of funds early in October, and had begun to transition the three main U.S. research stations, McMurdo, Amundsen-Scott South Pole Station, and Palmer Station, into "caretaker status", essentially leaving a skeleton crew at each location to maintain basic functions. This decision nearly cost 1,000 support workers their seasonal jobs, not to mention the irreparable damage of cancelled grants and projects. Luckily, after the shutdown ended, the "caretaker" decision was reversed, but it is now a mad scramble to prioritize which projects will be allowed to continue their research, as well as to complete the immense logistical preparation and planning involved with each on an already overburdened support staff due to the sequestation cuts that kicked in earlier this year. The weather has also not been kind so far this season, with numerous flight delays and cancellations. It has not been easy so far this season, but things are finally starting to get kicked into gear....hopefully we do not have to do this all over again in January....

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +180/-8
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2013, 09:09:49 AM »
The wing nuts don't look at it as "which one to cut or not".  They see it all as a waste.  That science stuff is a waste.  All part of the religious nuts trying to compete for most crazy with the Muslims.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2013, 10:45:32 AM »
Look on the bright side, shutting down all these government programs will lead us all back to the Bible - the only science book we need bother with (in the stone age)
If xian hell really exists, the stench of the burning billions of us should be a constant, putrid reminder to the handful of heavenward xians how loving your god is.  - neopagan

Offline Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +182/-7
  • Official WWGHA Harpy, Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2013, 11:11:24 AM »
The true scope of the waste is staggering. Setting aside the actual dollars involved, so much research was disrupted as a result of this, some of what was already done will be virtually worthless due to the interruption, completely wasted work and money already spent. The true extent of the damage will never be fully understood, especially apart from the economic factors that will be tabulated and widely discussed. The degree of irresponsibility is shocking.

How much did this set back cures for disease? How many more people will be using the very same medical services that the GOP was trying to keep out of reach? How much more will the system be burdened as a result of a relatively short amount ofdown time? Just one small sector, and the ripples are almost never-ending.

The depth of their betrayal is just sickening. I have no words to express how I feel about these .... congress organisms.
My tolerance for BS is limited, and I use up most of it IRL.