Author Topic: Why won't God heal amputees? Because he can make you win at life without it.  (Read 16625 times)

Offline Lectus

• Graduate
  • Darwins +18/-0
  • The messiah of mental freedom
That was a pastor response to that question:

Question: Why won't God heal amputees?
Answer: Because God can make you win at life without legs or arms. He doesn't need you to be perfect. He can do anything.

What do you think about this argument?
Religion: The belief that an all powerful God or gods created the entire universe so that we tiny humans can be happy. And we also make war about it.

Offline Dante

• Reader
  • Darwins +76/-9
  • Hedonist Extraordinaire

Answer: Because God can make you win at life without legs or arms. He doesn't need you to be perfect. He can do anything.

It's a non answer.

Why wont god make you win at life with terminal cancer? Dementia? Alzheimer's?

The pastor's trying to evade the point of the question, assuming he believes god heals other afflictions.
Actually it doesn't. One could conceivably be all-powerful but not exceptionally intelligent.

Online Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +196/-7
  • Official WWGHA Harpy, Ex-rosary squad
I think it would be reasonable to have the pastor who gave that answer go ahead and run it by an amputee to see what they think.

If God can make you a winner regardless of the number of limbs you have, why take some away in the first place? Why not give one or two back to the ones who ask?

And how does one "win" at life?

Pfft. Cop-out. I'd expect better from an Ambassador for the Lord.  ;D
"It's hard to, but I'm starting to believe some of you actually believe these things.  That is completely beyond my ability to understand if that is really the case, but things never cease to amaze me."

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
Ask him to remove a couple of his legs...

I don't think he's an Ambassador... more like an embassy motor pool driver :)
If xian hell really exists, the stench of the burning billions of us should be a constant, putrid reminder to the handful of heavenward xians how loving your god is.  - neopagan

Online Aaron123

• Fellow
  • Darwins +77/-1
Ask him how this situation is any different than one where no god exists.  In both cases, we're trying to "win at life" on our own.  So what's the difference?
Being a Christian, I've made my decision. That decision offers no compromise; therefore, I'm closed to anything else.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +189/-8
Simple, you win in life by drinking the koolaid and spreading the word...by which the church gets $$$.  The people get the message, "man, if an amputee can have faith, then I can also".
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline William

• Fellow
  • Darwins +92/-2
The word "pastor" has another meaning ... "smooth talking tithe-dependent parasite".

Think about it - these parasites (any clergy really) literally feed and live and prosper and party off people who need comfort and hope.
Not surprising they're slick at dispensing comfort and hope.  It's false hope and fake comfort - but the vulnerable are the softest targets and look so good on the books.

Git mit uns

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +189/-8
And as if that is not enough they come up with these "revivals" to make sure the flock is worked up and ready to "give".  One going on this weekend in my little town.  Saw the flier for it at the post office today.  Called "Simple Jesus".
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +703/-28
  • Karma mooch

It is either dodges the question or misunderstands it.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +798/-6
  • If you are religious, you are misconcepted
I'm thinking back to the guy I went to high school with, who was hurt bad about a year after we graduated. Like, put into a coma, where he stayed until his death five years later.

I happened in less than a second, via a bad car wreck.

Apparently god didn't need him to be perfect. Or need him to be anything else either. Life is a bitch when you've been t-boned by a guy who ran a stop sign. Especially if there is indeed a god who doesn't care.

Of course, if he is real, he stopped caring way back when he made rattlesnakes and grizzly bears and mosquitos.

If he isn't real, all of the above simply falls into the "sh*t happens" category, which makes a lot more sense.
Jesus, the cracker flavored treat!

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +294/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
And how does one "win" at life?

Quote from: Illyria
To never die, and to conquer all... That is winning.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken/Lucifer/All In One/Orion.

Offline Benny

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +16/-1
  • Hugs And Love
    • My YouTube channel
It is either dodges the question or misunderstands it.

Definitely not a misunderstanding.  Rephrasing the answer:

"Why won't God heal amputees?"
"Because he doesn't feel like it."

Dodging the question is a generous way to put it.  I think it's at the intersection of "intentional ignorance" and "spitting in the face of amputees."

(Edit: hit send button too early)
I'm here every now and again.
We're gonna rock down to Alexis Avenue, he makes the score go higher!

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +927/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
My teen daughter, looking over my shoulder, just asked, "Hey, why won't god heal amputees?" I will tell her to ask her Sunday school teacher this week. Heh heh heh.
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline Angus and Alexis

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
  • Residential Tulpamancer.
To OP.

The argument is horridly invalid.
As while some amputees do not care about their loss of a limb, some do, so why don't these people get their limbs.
After all, if they pray for it, god must answer regardless of the person asking.
As long as you have the faith of a mustard seed he must answer...according to the bible, heh.
Rule 1: No pooftas. Rule 2: No maltreating the theists, IF, anyone is watching. Rule 3: No pooftas. Rule 4: I do not want to see anyone NOT drinking after light out. Rule 5: No pooftas. Rule 6: There is NO...rule 6.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +703/-28
  • Karma mooch
Definitely not a misunderstanding. 

eh, I'm a little more generous.  People are lazy thinkers.  It is how we evolved.  It takes practice and discipline to really think through questions.  Mainly what happens is our intuitive brain comes up with an easy answer and then puts the rational brain to work justifying it.  So I think it is likely they did not think about the question very hard because they came with with an answer they liked fairly easily.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +337/-85
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched

If Biblegod  can "do anything" then, it can give back arms and legs.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Offline Lectus

• Graduate
  • Darwins +18/-0
  • The messiah of mental freedom

-Nam

It's not his will. -- A christian would say.

&)
Religion: The belief that an all powerful God or gods created the entire universe so that we tiny humans can be happy. And we also make war about it.

Offline skeptic54768

• Fellow
  • Darwins +53/-444
  • Christianity is the most beautiful religion.
Silliness.

God never said life will be an easy breezy walk in the park. The Bible says that the sun shines on the just and unjust and the rain falls on the just and unjust.

Believers don't get a free pass out of suffering. Suffering is a test of our faith. Look at how many atheists use the problem of evil as a reason for God not existing. These people failed the test. There are amputees out there who praise God every single day and don't care about their missing limbs. These passed the test.

The question is based on a false assumption that God is supposed to never allow anyone to suffer. This is simply not true. Bible is flooded with examples of believers suffering hardships. True believers see it as a hill to climb. Non-believers see the hill and don't even bother to climb it.

I have seen amputees with one hand work a job better than someone with 2 hands. Look at how many people are collecting disability payments for no reason. These people need to suck it up and quit whining. There's people with one hand working 9-5 jobs and others are on the couch all day watching TV collecting free money with 2 hands with remote in one hand and chips in the other.

Just pure silliness.
Matthew 10:22 "and you will be hated by all for my name’s sake. But the one who endures to the end will be saved." - Jesus (said 2,000 years ago and still true today.)

Offline skeptic54768

• Fellow
  • Darwins +53/-444

-Nam

God spreads the gifts out to species. Salamanders can regenerate limbs. Humans can't. That's how God made it. other species have stronger jaws than us. Humans have sentience, other species don't.

This is God spreading out his gifts over different species.

of course God could regenerate limbs if he wanted to, but then the process would most likely be the same way he does it for salamanders. Then atheists would say "No miracle! it's a natural process!" This is what they already do with the salamanders.....
Matthew 10:22 "and you will be hated by all for my name’s sake. But the one who endures to the end will be saved." - Jesus (said 2,000 years ago and still true today.)

Offline natlegend

• Reader
  • Darwins +66/-0
  • Polyatheist
There are amputees out there who praise God every single day and don't care about their missing limbs.

Name one.

As while some amputees do not care about their loss of a limb... <snip>

Name one.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Offline Angus and Alexis

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
Name one.

Okay...after a bad google search i got nothing.
But surely there must be one person out there?
__/o_o\__

I still cant believe that theists think all amputees do not care about having missing limbs.
Rule 1: No pooftas. Rule 2: No maltreating the theists, IF, anyone is watching. Rule 3: No pooftas. Rule 4: I do not want to see anyone NOT drinking after light out. Rule 5: No pooftas. Rule 6: There is NO...rule 6.

Offline natlegend

• Reader
  • Darwins +66/-0
  • Polyatheist
Name one.

Okay...after a bad google search i got nothing.
But surely there must be one person out there?
__/o_o\__

Not even one? Then you are talking out your arse.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Offline Angus and Alexis

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
Not even one? Then you are talking out your arse.

Nope, not even a single one (i must admit i rushed google...).

So i guess there is no such thing.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +337/-85
pure silliness.

What is "pure silliness" is that a person has to suffer their entire lives just to get a prize at the end. That is silly.

You go on and suffer, I'm going to live my life in peace.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Offline skeptic54768

• Fellow
  • Darwins +53/-444
pure silliness.

What is "pure silliness" is that a person has to suffer their entire lives just to get a prize at the end. That is silly.

-Nam

We all suffer my friend. All of us suffer in different ways.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +337/-85
There are amputees out there who praise God every single day and don't care about their missing limbs.

Name one.

As while some amputees do not care about their loss of a limb... <snip>

Name one.

Isn't tbright an amputee? I know he's missing part of his brain. Of course, he hasn't been here in awhile.

-Nam

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +337/-85
pure silliness.

-Nam

We all suffer my friend. All of us suffer in different ways.

1. I'm not your friend and
2. Periodic suffering is not the same as what the Bible states is suffering

-Nam

Offline skeptic54768

• Fellow
  • Darwins +53/-444

-Nam

You are very hostile. I love everyone. Why don't you?
It seems that you are the type of person that gives atheists a bad reputation.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +337/-85

-Nam

You are very hostile. I love everyone. Why don't you?
It seems that you are the type of person that gives atheists a bad reputation.

I wonder if atheists here agree with that? Why don't you ask them.

-Nam