Author Topic: The Jesus Christ Show  (Read 1489 times)

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +130/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
The Jesus Christ Show
« on: October 13, 2013, 10:18:44 AM »
The Jesus Christ Show is available every Sunday morning on XM-244 "America's Talk" and on other terrestrial radio stations. The host is always introduced as "Jesus Christ" with hip-hop background music and an apparent black chorus singing "Are you ready? ...  Are you ready?!". The host just says "This is the Jesus Christ show with your holy host."  But, naturally, the host is white ...

In the FAQ (the only FAQ coincidentally), states "the show is interactive radio theater designed to teach people more about themselves and the historical person of Jesus Christ."

On today's show a woman called because she was trying to get help with some personal issue -- I'm not sure which and it really doesn't matter. Here is the response from the host (speaking slowly but dramatically in a soft voice):

"It's not about you   ...   it's about God."

"It's about trusting God's grace and ability to love and cleanse."

"God's will is perfect and better for you than the will you setup."

^ What personal problem is solved or even just helped a little with this response? It's this kind of claptrap that essentially tells people to "get over it, you're screwed". There is nothing helpful in these responses.

Callers even say "Thank you, Jesus, for your help today."

The show is like sugar for a diabetic.

However, I did hear the holy host state that marriage in America is a civil matter. It has nothing to do with religion or almost nothing to do with religion.

^ That was the hosts only ... redemption ... during today's show.

John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Offline Angus and Alexis

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
  • Residential Tulpamancer.
Re: The Jesus Christ Show
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2013, 10:31:45 AM »
Ahh America, ohh how sad it seems from here in Australia...
Rule 1: No pooftas. Rule 2: No maltreating the theists, IF, anyone is watching. Rule 3: No pooftas. Rule 4: I do not want to see anyone NOT drinking after light out. Rule 5: No pooftas. Rule 6: There is NO...rule 6.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +189/-8
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2013, 11:24:41 AM »
Jesus has really let Himself go.  Use to have long flowing hair...now bald.   ;)
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Benny

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +16/-1
  • Hugs And Love
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2013, 11:35:32 AM »
Here's my question: does the host think he is Jesus, or he is a messenger for Jesus' responses, or he just knows what Jesus would say because they got high in high school a few times and he seems like a cool dude?  I'd like to see someone call in and ask that.  Backup question: who died and gave YOU an XM radio show?
I'm here every now and again.
We're gonna rock down to Alexis Avenue, he makes the score go higher!

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +130/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2013, 04:42:39 PM »
Who knows? It is incredible that someone thinks they can respond on behalf of Jesus Christ.

John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +337/-85
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2013, 10:38:28 PM »
Jesus has really let Himself go.  Use to have long flowing hair...now bald.   ;)

It is a sin.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Offline Mrjason

• Reader
  • Darwins +97/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2013, 07:48:25 AM »
It is incredible that someone thinks they can respond on behalf of Jesus Christ.

surely anyone can respond on behalf of a fictional character. like getting a letter from santa thanking you for the mince pie you left him...

Offline Benny

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +16/-1
  • Hugs And Love
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2013, 08:50:52 AM »
surely anyone can respond on behalf of a fictional character. like getting a letter from santa thanking you for the mince pie you left him...

Relevant anecdote: One time when I was little, I left a note for Santa: "Are you real? Check yes or no."  I think callers into the Jesus Christ show are about that logical.

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +927/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2013, 03:36:06 PM »

Relevant anecdote: One time when I was little, I left a note for Santa: "Are you real? Check yes or no."  I think callers into the Jesus Christ show are about that logical.

What would you have thought if Santa checked no? Santa likes logic puzzles? :o
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +189/-8
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2013, 03:37:21 PM »
There is a Jesus call in show on South Park also. ;)
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline MM747

• Freshman
  • Darwins +3/-0
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2013, 06:26:10 AM »
Ahh America, ohh how sad it seems from here in Australia...

You're absolutely right! I'm originally from the States. I've been in Australia for over five years now and I must say...one thing that I do not miss is every 4th radio station streaming Christian nonsense.

I have family members that listen to shows just like this...and they really believe that god is communicating to them through these intermediaries. It's mind numbing.

Who knows? It is incredible that someone thinks they can respond on behalf of Jesus Christ.

I suppose the question is, does it really matter what the guy calls himself or who he claims to be? His audience seeks only to bolster their own deluded view of reality. He could claim to be a piece of wood rotting away in the forest and refer to himself as Bark. And then go on to profess that he's been commanded by Jesus to disseminate the message of deforestation across North America so that we have more open land for gigachurches...and people would eat it up.
Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.
Marcus Aurelius

Offline Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +196/-7
  • Official WWGHA Harpy, Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2013, 09:02:32 AM »
Every time I read things like this I have to reconsider my stance of refusing to take advantage of people's incredulity for personal monetary gain.
"It's hard to, but I'm starting to believe some of you actually believe these things.  That is completely beyond my ability to understand if that is really the case, but things never cease to amaze me."

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2013, 09:52:58 AM »
Do callers start their questions with "I'm not worthy to call or even speak to you, as I'm a worthless, dirty sinner..."?  Seems like this DJ (Dumb Jeezus) could really abuse the gullible.
If xian hell really exists, the stench of the burning billions of us should be a constant, putrid reminder to the handful of heavenward xians how loving your god is.  - neopagan

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +927/-6
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2013, 10:50:29 AM »
Every time I read things like this I have to reconsider my stance of refusing to take advantage of people's incredulity for personal monetary gain.

I heard that.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline Benny

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +16/-1
  • Hugs And Love
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2013, 04:01:32 PM »
What would you have thought if Santa checked no? Santa likes logic puzzles? :o

I'd have probably started taking depression pills then instead of waiting five years.

Offline ItsaMadhouse

• Novice
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2013, 07:06:25 PM »
Just another example of how religion persuades people into taking a backseat in their own lives. So sad how so many are brainwashed into not living their only life.

Offline Spit

• Student
  • Darwins +8/-3
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2013, 08:54:47 PM »
LOL. You try carrying that cross and taking those lashes!

Offline median

• Reader
  • Darwins +201/-16
  • Yahweh: Obviously not obvious.
    • Talk Origins
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2013, 03:45:56 PM »
Just another example of how religion persuades people into taking a backseat in their own lives. So sad how so many are brainwashed into not living their only life.

Actually, it's more of an example of how religion latches onto people by use of emotional sensationalism. It sucks in unsuspecting credulous victims and gets them to lower their critical/rational defenses in order to sell them an idea which they will later assume and try to defend. In that way, it's really like a virus!

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. Carl Sagan

Offline stuffin

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2013, 03:40:18 PM »

Can someone be arrested for impersonation of a fictional character?
When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +927/-6
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2013, 03:57:02 PM »

Can someone be arrested for impersonation of a fictional character?

People respond to letters that kids write to Santa. And there was report on NPR about Italian volunteers who answer letters of heartbreak that people write to Juliet (of Romeo and-).
http://www.npr.org/2013/04/16/177027206/letters-of-heartbreak-find-some-love-in-verona-italy

I'd write to Thor if I thought he would write back! But I'm not sure he's interested in running off with a middle-aged, married black college professor with a teenaged daughter. And I don't think he can write.....

He's just a big, dumb, sexy Nordic boy toy with awesome muscles and really nice hair. Totally unlike that scrawny, wimpy, unemployed homeless bipolar Mexican Jesus guy with the S/M fetish. :P