Author Topic: Serious MlP: FiM questionnaire.  (Read 6779 times)

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +286/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
Re: Serious MlP: FiM questionnaire.
« Reply #116 on: January 06, 2014, 02:19:34 PM »
Molesting kids is a crime, correct?
Thus is over the line.

What about when homosexuality was a crime?

Come to think of it...
Why are we debating this in a pony thread...this happens more often than i previously thought...

We're debating it because it was brought up.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline Angus and Alexis

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
  • Residential Tulpamancer.
« Reply #117 on: January 06, 2014, 02:23:38 PM »
What about when homosexuality was a crime?

If I was magically teleported into 1700's Europe and was raised with their knowledge, then yes, i would say Homosexuality is over the line, and would probably start stoning them.

Fortunately we live in 2014, and with the help of science (it works bitches), we strive for equality and stuff.

We're debating it because it was brought up.

I know, but being a brony this comes up too often everywhere.

You know?

Just like *posts innocent pony thread*.

"radda radda perverts, radda radda pedophiles, furries, radda....my opinion".
Rule 1: No pooftas. Rule 2: No maltreating the theists, IF, anyone is watching. Rule 3: No pooftas. Rule 4: I do not want to see anyone NOT drinking after light out. Rule 5: No pooftas. Rule 6: There is NO...rule 6.

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +286/-37
« Reply #118 on: January 06, 2014, 02:26:17 PM »
If I was magically teleported into 1700's Europe and was raised with their knowledge, then yes, i would say Homosexuality is over the line, and would probably start stoning them.

Fortunately we live in 2014, and with the help of science (it works bitches), we strive for equality and stuff.

So, in other words, there's no objective way to define what is "over the line". Good to know.

You know?

Wanna trade? Being a bisexual, I get shit from both heterosexuals and homosexuals, saying I'm either a closeted homosexual, or a "curious" heterosexual. I'll stop there before the mods warn me.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

Offline Angus and Alexis

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
« Reply #119 on: January 06, 2014, 02:30:02 PM »
So, in other words, there's no objective way to define what is "over the line". Good to know.

Pretty much, just like art, morals and taste of food...
I find arguing such things is as futile as fighting the Borg.

Wanna trade? Being a bisexual, I get shit from both heterosexuals and homosexuals, saying I'm either a closeted homosexual, or a "curious" heterosexual. I'll stop there before the mods warn me.

I know that feels.

Although, i must stress how does one think a fandom is perverted, if they watch a show as innocent as this:
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 02:32:19 PM by Angus and Alexis »
Rule 1: No pooftas. Rule 2: No maltreating the theists, IF, anyone is watching. Rule 3: No pooftas. Rule 4: I do not want to see anyone NOT drinking after light out. Rule 5: No pooftas. Rule 6: There is NO...rule 6.

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +286/-37
« Reply #120 on: January 06, 2014, 02:35:04 PM »
Pretty much, just like art, morals and taste of food...
I find arguing such things is as futile as fighting the Borg.

So this boils down to opinions. In that case, why is screwtape wrong to distrust bronies, or whoever?

I know that feels.
<snip>

Again, I'll shut up before the mods warn me.
We choose our own gods.

Offline Angus and Alexis

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
« Reply #121 on: January 06, 2014, 02:37:41 PM »
So this boils down to opinions. In that case, why is screwtape wrong to distrust bronies, or whoever?

Because the opinion does not relate to the fandom at all.
Its like saying that i distrust the Remote control jet fanbase, and that i am afraid of them being perverts. There is no correlation of pervert and the fans.

Again, I'll shut up before the mods warn me.

Huh?
Why would the Mods warn you?

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +685/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #122 on: January 06, 2014, 02:41:13 PM »
The line is drawn when the person belonging to the "insert fetish/fandom here" is no longer just that, but is now a pervert/other generally bad thing.

unhelpful.  That is effectively saying, "it's bad when it's bad," without giving any kind of indication as to how one would know it was bad.  It is not as if a pervert is going to come right out and tell you that. 

I have no quarrels with any fandom or fetish,

I don't either.  And I am generally very liberal toward what consenting adults do with each other in private.  My point is that we look for indicators of danger, we make judgments (because we must) based on what we can know.  It is not as if we can look into anyone's mind and know them.  We have to go by visual and behavioral cues.

You generalized all Furries and Crossdressers as perverts.

I really don't think I did.  In fact, what I said was:

I know being a furry is not necessarily a bad thing, and that it is just a fetish.  We all have our own bedroom proclivities, so who am I to judge? 

...which looks to me like I explicitly avoided making that kind of generalization.  On the topic of cross dressers, I simply asked whether that particular... preference[1] would indicate some disqualifier to supervise children. 

Agreed, but when you look at a select few, and take only the bad side to make a generalization, it is NOT a good thing to make.

Not to be pedantic and beat this to death, those would be inaccurate generalizations.  Errors.  Not problems with generalization in general.  heh.

Of course neither are true, but by your logic, it is...

I think you misunderstood.

for what it is worth, I only brought this up because we had talked about this topic a couple months ago.  I've thought about my position on bronies a lot since then and I've not really been able to put my finger on why they bother me.  I should have a lot in common with bronies.  I like cartoons.  I enjoyed watching Power Puff Girls and Adventure Time.  I am a gamer.  I have attended conventions.  I am even considering wearing a costume for the next convention I attend.  But bronies creep me out and the link I posted sort of revealed something I thought was relevant to the topic. 

If you want to drop the subject, we can. 

1. I don't want to blanketly characterize it as a fetish, though for some it is
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +286/-37
« Reply #123 on: January 06, 2014, 02:44:10 PM »
Because the opinion does not relate to the fandom at all.

We're once again back to the fact that "pervert" is subjective.

Its like saying that i distrust the Remote control jet fanbase, and that i am afraid of them being perverts. There is no correlation of pervert and the fans.

See above.

Huh?
Why would the Mods warn you?

I can't say that, since it will also get me warned.
We choose our own gods.

Offline Angus and Alexis

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
« Reply #124 on: January 06, 2014, 02:53:47 PM »
unhelpful.  That is effectively saying, "it's bad when it's bad," without giving any kind of indication as to how one would know it was bad.  It is not as if a pervert is going to come right out and tell you that. 

Can you help then?
When does a person belonging to a fanbase (or the fanbase itself) subjectively be "bad".

I really don't think I did.  In fact, what I said was:

Ohh i think you did.

Ahem.
Pervert stuff.  Whatever.  Not the point.  There are red flags to be heeded, no?  And that is the question I asked.  What exactly is a red flag?  Where is the line drawn?

Which you posted to:
I mean, seriously, what is a Furry/Crossdresser/Whatever going to do?

I think that is a generalization, as i know for fact that not all crossdressers/furries are perverts.

Not to be pedantic and beat this to death, those would be inaccurate generalizations.  Errors.  Not problems with generalization in general.  heh.

Obviously it is inaccurate, but no more inaccurate as saying all cross-dressers and furries are perverts...

But bronies creep me out and the link I posted sort of revealed something I thought was relevant to the topic. 

Hmmmm...perhaps its the brightly colored girly magical ponies?

If you want to drop the subject, we can. 

I would like that, but it still bugs me to know that you are creeped out by such a trivial thing.

We're once again back to the fact that "pervert" is subjective.

Technically speaking, doesn't that mean that anything that is objective can be viewed in any way possible?
Like, i don't know, movie viewers deemed satanic, or vegans viewed as child molesters?

But simply put, the only criteria of a "Brony" is one that watches the show, no stings attached, thus by default, a brony is not a pervert.

I can't say that, since it will also get me warned.

PM me?

Edit: Cheezus! That is a massive post...(for me atleast...)

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +286/-37
« Reply #125 on: January 06, 2014, 02:57:17 PM »
Technically speaking, doesn't that mean that anything that is objective can be viewed in any way possible?
Like, i don't know, movie viewers deemed satanic, or vegans viewed as child molesters?

I think you meant "subjective" there.
Yes, anything subjective can be viewed in nearly every imaginable way.

But simply put, the only criteria of a "Brony" is one that watches the show, no stings attached, thus by default, a brony is not a pervert.

And we're back (again) to the fact that "pervert" is a relative term. I'd give examples, but I'm fairly certain they'd be against the rules.

PM me?

Would still be breaking the rules, so no.
We choose our own gods.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +325/-84
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #126 on: January 06, 2014, 03:05:38 PM »
In the course of interviewing you would be looking for indicators of problems, yes?  Red flags.  The question I am asking is, what are red flags?  Is being a furry a red flag?  A brony?  A leather slave?  And yes, some of the things they do in their personal life would definitely be of concern to you if they were watching your kids.  For example, if they were cannibals, or heroine users, or watched Fox "news", etc.

Why would it be mentioned by either party? When, in the past, I got interviewed for a position the interviewer didn't ask me things that had nothing to do with the job. There are actually laws, at least where I live, where you can't ask certain questions especially if it has nothing to do with the job at hand. Why would I ask, "So, are you into S&M? Do you like to dress up as a furry animal and dry hump others? Oh, are you a brony by chance?" -- who asks those questions? You interview the person based upon their application (or if no application just interview), do a background check (and/or credit check) and proceed from there -- why the unnecessary questions?

If you find out later they are a "brony", or into S&M, or a "furry" and fire them based on that alone then you're no better than those who fire atheists for being atheists, or homosexuals for being homosexuals. You're judging them not by their profession but what they do as a hobby or lifestyle.

Unless they turn out to be child molesters, rapists, murderers, thieves, etc., or served time for those things, that's one thing but since you get an "ick" from it, well, that's okay? Sure it is. Your children. You want to teach them to be prejudice that's a route to go.

-Nam
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 03:08:05 PM by Nam »
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +685/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #127 on: January 06, 2014, 03:30:56 PM »
When does a person belonging to a fanbase (or the fanbase itself) subjectively be "bad".

why are you making this a fanbase question?  It is not about a fanbase.  It is about how a person's preferences reflect on that person and how they are interpreted by others.

If the babysitter showed up wearing a t-shirt with a picture of Ron Jeremy on it, I would say that is a red flag.
If the babysitter showed up wearing a t-shirt with a White Power message on it, I would say that is a red flag.
If the babysitter showed up wearing a t-shirt with a sexually suggestive message on it, I would say that is a red flag.

Ohh i think you did.

ah, I see.  My response was inadequate.  I was not saying all furries and crossdresser were necesarily perverts.  I was responding to what the given person in question might do.  My apologies for the incomplete and misleading explanation.

Hmmmm...perhaps its the brightly colored girly magical ponies?

no.  It was the full pony costume in pink.  Reminded me of furries.

I would like that, but it still bugs me to know that you are creeped out by such a trivial thing.

That is not in my control.  Lots of things bug me.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +685/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #128 on: January 06, 2014, 03:36:38 PM »
Why would it be mentioned by either party? When, in the past, I got interviewed for a position the interviewer didn't ask me things that had nothing to do with the job. There are actually laws, at least where I live, where you can't ask certain questions especially if it has nothing to do with the job at hand.

Nam, what the flip are you talking about?  We were talking about hiring a babysitter, yes?  Not corporate employment.  Go back and read the thread.  I am pretty sure you can ask a babysitter pretty much anything you want.

You're judging them not by their profession but what they do as a hobby or lifestyle.

Yes, absolutely.  I judge people who are coming into my home on many things which I may consider to be red flags.   

Unless they turn out to be child molesters, rapists, murderers, thieves, etc.,

I'd rather not wait to find out my babysitter is one of those things after I've hired him.

You want to teach them to be prejudice that's a route to go.

Yes.  I would absolutely want my kids to be prejudiced against pedophiles, rapists, and murderers.  I'm kind of a bigot that way.

Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +408/-5
« Reply #129 on: January 06, 2014, 03:45:00 PM »
Nam, Angus, or anyone else who wants to answer.

A pedophile, when being interviewed for the job sitting your kids, is very unlikely to say "yes, I am a pedo - is that a problem?"  Nor are they likely to do anything to your children while they are there.  So it is very unlikely there will be any direct sings that a person is a pedophile.

So are there any warning signs you might heed that - while not definitely indicating of child molestation - you might prefer NOT to see in a prospective babysitter?
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +325/-84
« Reply #130 on: January 06, 2014, 03:58:43 PM »
Nam, what the flip are you talking about?  We were talking about hiring a babysitter, yes?  Not corporate employment.  Go back and read the thread.  I am pretty sure you can ask a babysitter pretty much anything you want.

I know what we're talking about. The same applies, legalities aside or not. Why would one ask questions that have nothing to do with the hiring process? Would you ask, "Do you like oral sex, or no? Do you swallow, or spit?" You wouldn't ask that because it's an inappropriate question. We're going by your standards of "I am pretty sure you can ask anything you want." -- if that's true then asking whether they like oral or spit/swallow, in your mind, is appropriate? Oh, but, that would make you the pervert, right?

You get it yet? Apparently not.

Yes, absolutely.  I judge people who are coming into my home on many things which I may consider to be red flags.

And that's fine, as I said but also as I said that makes you the prejudiced one; and, perhaps that's okay but you're mind is already made up on the issue: bronies, furries, etc., are perverts in your mind and no better than child molesters--hell! they must be to be into those things. Because they are "red flags" to you.

I'd rather not wait to find out my babysitter is one of those things after I've hired him.

But you're presuming that that's what bronies and furries are, are you not? Seems like it. I would think Angus would have a problem with that, because, it seems to me: that's what you're likening him to.

But it's good to know you're not a sexist.

Yes.  I would absolutely want my kids to be prejudiced against pedophiles, rapists, and murderers.  I'm kind of a bigot that way.

That's not what you're saying here. You're saying since you find bronies and furries to be "icky", then, in your mind how could they be any different than those types of people. I'm not saying you'd be teaching your children to be prejudiced against rapists, murderers, child molesters, I'm saying that you'd be teaching them to be prejudiced against bronies, furries, and the like.

Let me ask a question:

If you knew absolutely nothing about me as you do here, and I interviewed to babysit your kids, and I told you I like "Strawberry Shortcake" but that I didn't dress up as any of the characters or go to conventions on the cartoon but I did have some collectables, and the complete original series on DVD, and after finding out I have never been arrested, been to jail, or somuchas commit a crime, ever -- would you hire me?

-Nam
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 04:05:32 PM by Nam »
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Offline EV

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +52/-1
  • Philosopher, Atheist, Musician, Philanthropist
    • My Website
« Reply #131 on: January 06, 2014, 04:01:39 PM »
Hey all, I would just like to contribute to this thread by adding that on a quick internet research trip I made R.E this thread, I found that 'Bronies' with a sexual attraction to 'My Little Pony' are known as 'Cloppers'.

Not sure why that term unsettles me, but it's a strange phenomenon nonetheless!

A&A, I personally enjoy the series 'Avatar: The Legend of Aang', so am not adverse to watching children's shows. From what I could gleam on the internet, and from what you put, it is evident that the creators of MLP:FiM add in content and references from other shows to make the 'unexpected adult fandom' happy, so there is a small excuse for liking it, as it is now targeted somewhat towards an adult agegroup.

IMHO, I think it's a slightly strange thing to spend your time doing, although obsessing over a show can be quite common. I just think that the object of vast amounts of time being a show about magical rainbow ponies is a little bit strange.

So in that regard, I share Screwtape's view that it is unsettling, but I cannot figure out why either. I'll try and clarify my thoughts below.

You know?

You have not really got much of a leg to stand on here, because it is a fact that a small percentage of 'Bronies' are 'Cloppers', which have sex with stuffed toys in the shape of very youngly depicted horses. Many people will have this as a preconception, which is why if you post a thread about this you will get a few very strange looks. To those who are not in the fandom, it is a very strange thing to be doing, so will be met with confusion, hostility and exasperation.

Finally, perversion is defined as sexual behaviour that is considered abnormal and unacceptable. Currently in today's society having sex with a cuddly childrens toy is probably going to be considered abnormal and unacceptable. It carries connotations of being sexually attracted or obsessed with something related to children, and psychologically could lead to further incidents of a worse sort.
"Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative."
- Philosopher John Stuart Mill, from a Parliamentary debate (May 31, 1866);

Offline Angus and Alexis

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
« Reply #132 on: January 06, 2014, 09:59:39 PM »
You have not really got much of a leg to stand on here, because it is a fact that a small percentage of 'Bronies' are 'Cloppers', which have sex with stuffed toys in the shape of very youngly depicted horses. Many people will have this as a preconception, which is why if you post a thread about this you will get a few very strange looks. To those who are not in the fandom, it is a very strange thing to be doing, so will be met with confusion, hostility and exasperation.

I have as much of a leg to stand on as you have a leg to stand on with someone claiming all Atheists are dictators.

Finally, perversion is defined as sexual behaviour that is considered abnormal and unacceptable.

That is A definition, not THE definition.

So are there any warning signs you might heed that - while not definitely indicating of child molestation - you might prefer NOT to see in a prospective babysitter?

*shrugs* Not having children...
Although i am fairly certain that the watching of children shows could be viewed as good when it comes to baby sitting.
I mean, all they would have to do is watch what they like, and it would keep the kids quiet xD.

Edit: Because this is just a slug-fest of objective things, may the subject be dropped? Perhaps answer the OP or something? Raise new subject?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 10:01:13 PM by Angus and Alexis »

Online Bereft_of_Faith

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +39/-2
« Reply #133 on: January 07, 2014, 02:13:58 AM »
Two cents regarding the creepy factor

I'm desperately in 'love' with Sarah Walker from the TV show Chuck.  It's a mad crush, really.  I've mentioned this in perhaps one or two posts since I've been here.  Falling in love with a TV character seems/is 'kinda creepy'.  The thing is, I know it.  I don't follow Yvonne Strahovski's twitter page, nor do I start a thread in an atheist forum trying to reach out to other people, to discuss how amazing Sarah Walker is/was.  Why?  Because I realize how odd my fixation would seem to most people.  To me, it is an innocent fascination that brings me a fair measure of joy.

If anyone asked me "What do you think of Sarah Walker", I'd tell them.  If instead, I went as far as creating my screen name to reflect my devotion, had my avatar reference her in some way, posted large images of Sarah's face, admitted that I have a fictional character on TV as some sort of alternate personality and created a number of threads in her honour, I would consider it a self-indulgence, a conceit, and an indiscretion. To me, doing those things might seem an appropriate expression of my so-called 'love', but in truth, I doubt that anyone would fully understand.

A&A:  A bit of advice from someone much much older:  I'm sure for you, there are excellent reasons for enjoying MLP.  In your exuberance, you wish to share your perspective with others so that they may enjoy its merits as well.  I think this may be a mistake, at least in a forum such as this one.  Enjoy MLP, perhaps even with those who share your excitement but forget about getting others to come aboard.  The creepy factor arises not so much from the admission that one likes MLP (or Sarah Walker for that matter) but from the proselytizing.  Pushing MLP or anything too hard may be seen as obsessive, and it is that perception that brings in the creepy.

Offline EV

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +52/-1
  • Philosopher, Atheist, Musician, Philanthropist
    • My Website
« Reply #134 on: January 07, 2014, 02:21:55 AM »
I have as much of a leg to stand on as you have a leg to stand on with someone claiming all Atheists are dictators.

Oh, none of us have any legs to stand on in this world! Apologies if you construed my post as an attack, I didn't mean it that way. (By the way, nice to meet you A&A :) )

I'm taking the argument to the potential viewpoint of someone who is not in the fandom, has not seen the episodes and so is only going on what they have heard, it's supposed to be a possible explanation for the reaction you said you regularly get.

That is A definition, not THE definition.

Yes, well THE definition doesn't really exist. Words mean them what humanity deems them to mean them, and the word 'Pervert' has been employed over time, currently quite often by exasperated females against that kind of man who ogles and hoots at women in the street. That behaviour is sadly considered quite normal in some places in the world, but still applies quite validly to the pervert in question, without fitting the standard definition of being abnormal.

Having sex with toy ponies is NOT something that I am implying that you do, it is a fact that it appears to happen though, and it can fit the definition of the word 'perverse' to someone who does not have sex with toy ponies.

Make sense? Just clarifying some points!

Although i am fairly certain that the watching of children shows could be viewed as good when it comes to baby sitting. I mean, all they would have to do is watch what they like, and it would keep the kids quiet xD.

Yeah that bit makes sense! It's a free country my friend, you are welcome to do what you will, just don't go clopping ;)

A&A:  A bit of advice from someone much much older:  I'm sure for you, there are excellent reasons for enjoying MLP.  In your exuberance, you wish to share your perspective with others so that they may enjoy its merits as well.  I think this may be a mistake, at least in a forum such as this one.  Enjoy MLP, perhaps even with those who share your excitement but forget about getting others to come aboard.  The creepy factor arises not so much from the admission that one likes MLP (or Sarah Walker for that matter) but from the proselytizing.  Pushing MLP or anything too hard may be seen as obsessive, and it is that perception that brings in the creepy.

This is excellent advice from BoF.

I would think that now you've identified some people on this forum who enjoy the show and some who find it a bit strange. Maybe continue talking about it with those who wish to via PM?
"Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative."
- Philosopher John Stuart Mill, from a Parliamentary debate (May 31, 1866);

Offline Angus and Alexis

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
« Reply #135 on: January 07, 2014, 02:31:08 AM »
Pushing MLP or anything too hard may be seen as obsessive, and it is that perception that brings in the creepy.

Bronies are infamous for doing this.

*shrugs*

What about this?
I personally find it true...

Oh, none of us have any legs to stand on in this world!

I beg to differ.

(By the way, nice to meet you A&A :) )

Likewise.

I'm taking the argument to the potential viewpoint of someone who is not in the fandom, has not seen the episodes and so is only going on what they have heard, it's supposed to be a possible explanation for the reaction you said you regularly get.

The reactions that bronies get (the bad ones), come from people who are no better than gay bashers.

Having sex with toy ponies is NOT something that I am implying that you do, it is a fact that it appears to happen though, and it can fit the definition of the word 'perverse' to someone who does not have sex with toy ponies.

Actually, very few seem to do that.
Something to do with how rare such toys are, and how it is illegal in some cases (especially to sell them).

Yeah that bit makes sense! It's a free country my friend, you are welcome to do what you will, just don't go clopping ;)

What is wrong with "clopping", may i ask?

I would think that now you've identified some people on this forum who enjoy the show and some who find it a bit strange. Maybe continue talking about it with those who wish to via PM?

Nyet, I enjoy seeing other peoples opinions (well, logical ones that is), i find that this thread allows many people to give opinions on a innocent                                                                    topic that is often demonized for no reason.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +685/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #136 on: January 07, 2014, 10:42:34 AM »
Why would one ask questions that have nothing to do with the hiring process?

One wouldn't if one was intersted in not wasting one's own time. 

Would you ask, "Do you like oral sex, or no? Do you swallow, or spit?" You wouldn't ask that because it's an inappropriate question.

I would not ask it because I do not see that as an indicator that someone might be a danger to my child.  In this day and age, oral sex is not considered exotic or deviant behavior and is commonly practiced.  It is not a red flag by any means.   

Oh, but, that would make you the pervert, right?

I know you relish being an asshole and all, but at least keep the assholishness to having a point.  This is just an egregious shot at me personally and does not even serve your basic argument.  Unless your basic argument is I'm a dick. If that's the case, pick one point and be clear about it.

And that's fine, as I said but also as I said that makes you the prejudiced one;

Not all prejudice is bad prejudice.  I am also prejudiced against white supremacists.  I've known some Illinois Nazis who were very charming and generally fun to be around, provided the topic of race and nazism did not come up.  But they were Nazis, and so we could not be friends. So, sure, I have prejudices.  But not the way you think I have prejudices.

but you're mind is already made up on the issue: bronies, furries, etc., are perverts in your mind and no better than child molesters

eh, no.  That would be you putting words in my mouth.  You have either completely misunderstood or you are intentionally mischaracterizing what I said.  If the former, please go back and take another look at my posts.  If the latter, cut it out.

But you're presuming that that's what bronies and furries are, are you not?

No, I'm not presuming that.  I am presuming they are weird and, in the case of furries, deviants.  That does not automatically may them pedophiles.  I find them suspicious, not necessarily guilty.  I am questioning whether I should consider their proclivities red flags.  Your answer appears to be "no".  To echo Anfauglir's question, is there any observable behavior you would deem a disqualification?

That's not what you're saying here.

No, that is what I am saying. You keep trying to put words in my mouth.

Let me ask a question:
...-- would you hire me?

I cannot say.  You are giving me absolutely no context and asking for an answer based on one single thing.  I've seen your picture, so probably not.  I generally do not think males are fit to supervise other people's children in private settings. 

Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +325/-84
« Reply #137 on: January 07, 2014, 11:04:25 AM »
You're an idiot Screwtape. It's okay, we all are to some degree. You just need to recognize you are.

-Nam
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 11:06:08 AM by Nam »

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +408/-5
« Reply #138 on: January 07, 2014, 11:10:10 AM »

*shrugs* Not having children...
Although i am fairly certain that the watching of children shows could be viewed as good when it comes to baby sitting.
I mean, all they would have to do is watch what they like, and it would keep the kids quiet xD.

A&A had been unable to identify any warning signs in prospective babysitters - Nam, what (if any) indicators would you use when searching for a sitter?

Actually, broader question - what potential warning signs does anyone use in other circumstances - for example, you are walking towards your car in a near empty underfloor garage late at night.  You see a person standing near your car.  What about that person might make you turn and head back for the entrance?  What would make you feel more comfortable about proceeding to your car? 
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?

Offline Mrjason

• Reader
  • Darwins +93/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #139 on: January 07, 2014, 11:24:57 AM »

Actually, broader question - what potential warning signs does anyone use in other circumstances - for example, you are walking towards your car in a near empty underfloor garage late at night.  You see a person standing near your car.  What about that person might make you turn and head back for the entrance?  What would make you feel more comfortable about proceeding to your car?

To be perfectly honest the age and gender, and to some extent the attire, of the person would play a large part in my decision.
I know that I shouldn't be prejudiced and more than likely won't come to any harm but my adrenal glands don't seem to agree.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +685/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #140 on: January 07, 2014, 12:00:59 PM »
You're an idiot Screwtape. It's okay, we all are to some degree. You just need to recognize you are.

-Nam

So, you concede the point and graciously bow out of the discussion.  Thanks for that.

To add, we have evolved to make quick decisions with scant knowledge because it kept our primitive forefathers alive.  While I agree we do not face the same dangers they faced and that prejudice based on appearances is generally inappropriate, this type of process is still useful and necessary in evaluating who might pose a danger to us.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 12:04:44 PM by screwtape »
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +325/-84
« Reply #141 on: January 07, 2014, 12:08:22 PM »
Oh, Screwtape the picture you probably saw recently of me was with long hair and a beard, here's me without all that:

My resume includes Child Counselor at the YMCA, Attraction Host, Entertainment Division at Walt Disney World, Ride/Show attendant at Universal Studios Also, briefly, worked Security (in between my regular job at Universal) and I worked at Shamu Stadium at Sea World.

Based on my resume alone, and how "normal" I look, most people would hire me.

:P

-Nam

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +325/-84
« Reply #142 on: January 07, 2014, 12:09:44 PM »

-Nam

So, you concede the point and graciously bow out of the discussion.  Thanks for that.

To add, we have evolved to make quick decisions with scant knowledge because it kept our primitive forefathers alive.  While I agree we do not face the same dangers they faced and that prejudice based on appearances is generally inappropriate, this type of process is still useful and necessary in evaluating who might pose a danger to us.

No, I realize I'm talking to a wall, which makes you an idiot.

;)

-Nam

Offline Angus and Alexis

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
« Reply #143 on: January 12, 2014, 08:36:25 AM »
So...why exactly are cloppers bad?

I never got an answer directly.

Online Aaron123

• Fellow
  • Darwins +77/-1
« Reply #144 on: January 12, 2014, 11:56:40 AM »
So...why exactly are cloppers bad?

I never got an answer directly.

Mainly, it's the idea that those people are sexualizing cartoon horses and consider/using it as a turn-on.  It's considered an unhealthy fixation, rather than focusing their efforts on real-life people. (or at least something that looks like a human being)

I'm not sure if they consider 'cloppers' to sexualize real-life horses, but that might be the case.
Being a Christian, I've made my decision. That decision offers no compromise; therefore, I'm closed to anything else.