Author Topic: Serious MlP: FiM questionnaire.  (Read 7721 times)

Offline Mrjason

• Reader
  • Darwins +103/-2
  • WWGHA Member
Re: Serious MlP: FiM questionnaire.
« Reply #58 on: October 17, 2013, 08:13:59 AM »
I'm not saying you are a peado A&A, in fact I will go as far to say I'm as sure as I can be (having never met you IRL) you're not. But if you were a peado, what type of image would you have on, say, a facebook profile pic?

Hmmm...
I would assume whatever is not suspicious?

what do you mean by this?

Offline Angus and Alexis

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
  • Retired Residential Tulpamancer.
« Reply #59 on: October 17, 2013, 08:15:03 AM »
If i was a pedophile, i would choose an avatar that is not suspicious.
Rule 1: No pooftas. Rule 2: No maltreating the theists, IF, anyone is watching. Rule 3: No pooftas. Rule 4: I do not want to see anyone NOT drinking after light out. Rule 5: No pooftas. Rule 6: There is NO...rule 6.

Offline Mrjason

• Reader
  • Darwins +103/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #60 on: October 17, 2013, 08:20:20 AM »
If i was a pedophile, i would choose an avatar that is not suspicious.

Peadophillia isn't about the avoidence of suspicion.

Offline Angus and Alexis

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
« Reply #61 on: October 17, 2013, 08:22:06 AM »
But if you were suspicious, your "prey" would block/report you, leaving you starved, no? ;D
Rule 1: No pooftas. Rule 2: No maltreating the theists, IF, anyone is watching. Rule 3: No pooftas. Rule 4: I do not want to see anyone NOT drinking after light out. Rule 5: No pooftas. Rule 6: There is NO...rule 6.

Offline Mrjason

• Reader
  • Darwins +103/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #62 on: October 17, 2013, 08:29:29 AM »
But if you were suspicious, your "prey" would block/report you, leaving you starved, no? ;D

you've got to catch them in the first place though. hence the "do you want to look at some puppies" reference earlier.

besides Savile, despite looking like and acting like a peadophile got away with it for decades.

Offline Angus and Alexis

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
« Reply #63 on: October 17, 2013, 08:47:26 AM »
Who is Savile?

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +709/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #64 on: October 17, 2013, 08:55:00 AM »
They're sex offenders just because they watch a little girl cartoon?  This is the sort of comment that's so 'out there', that I really don't know what to say.

It was tongue in cheek.  They do creep me out, though. 

Well, aside from that it reminds me of how some people say that, by definition, homosexuals are pedophiles.  Do you consider that to be true? 

No, not at all.  I don't know how you would jump to that. 
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline Angus and Alexis

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
« Reply #65 on: October 17, 2013, 08:58:01 AM »
So, Screwtape, what part of bronies, exact, creep you out?

Offline Mrjason

• Reader
  • Darwins +103/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #66 on: October 17, 2013, 09:01:22 AM »
Who is Savile?

A prolific peadophile and Knight of the Britsh Empire. Jimmy SavileWiki

Offline Angus and Alexis

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
« Reply #67 on: October 17, 2013, 09:05:33 AM »
Ohh.
Hes British, that explains it, i do not care much about Britain (I hate monarchy...), so i know little of it.
Other than monocles, crumpets, tea and pudding.

Offline Mrjason

• Reader
  • Darwins +103/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #68 on: October 17, 2013, 09:06:38 AM »
Ohh.
Hes British, that explains it, i do not care much about Britain (I hate monarchy...), so i know little of it.
Other than monocles, crumpets, tea and pudding.

You forgot warm beer, fish n chips and bad teeth.

Offline Angus and Alexis

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
« Reply #69 on: October 17, 2013, 09:08:52 AM »
Indeed...
I might add loyalty to the Queen, tophats and pubs...

Offline Mrjason

• Reader
  • Darwins +103/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #70 on: October 17, 2013, 09:14:01 AM »
Indeed...
I might add loyalty to the Queen, tophats and pubs...

Top hats and pubs yes. I frequent both regularly.
Loyalty to someone who's motto is Dieu et mon droit? Never in this life.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +709/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #71 on: October 17, 2013, 09:30:48 AM »
So, Screwtape, what part of bronies, exact, creep you out?

Their heads. 

Their GI system comes in a distant second.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline Aaron123

• Fellow
  • Darwins +80/-1
« Reply #72 on: October 17, 2013, 01:31:23 PM »

Well, aside from that it reminds me of how some people say that, by definition, homosexuals are pedophiles.  Do you consider that to be true? 

No, not at all.  I don't know how you would jump to that.

It strikes me as the same sort of knee-jerk reaction.

"They're gays, so they must be pedophiles"
"They're bronies, so they must be pedophiles"

I really can't see what the fundamental difference here is.

Again, I don't have a problem if you don't like the show, or saying you don't see the appeal.  I just don't see why this talk about pedophiles and "creepiness" needs to be added in to the mix.
Being a Christian, I've made my decision. That decision offers no compromise; therefore, I'm closed to anything else.

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
« Reply #73 on: October 17, 2013, 02:11:46 PM »
I'm becoming much more aware of the wide differences in gender expression lately, and am trying to rid myself of expectations of gender norms. With that in mind, who cares who the target audience is? If someone likes My Little Pony, and they're not harming anyone, I say, more power to them, and good on them for following their own interests instead of societal "shoulds."
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +709/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #74 on: October 17, 2013, 03:29:28 PM »
I just don't see why this talk about pedophiles and "creepiness" needs to be added in to the mix.

Needs?  What have needs to do with it?  Why do I need to comment at all?  Why do my little ponies need to be discussed here in the first place?  Why does there need to be a wwgha forum? 

I have a certain emotional reaction when I see adult men three-way fist bumping over my little pony.  I feel creeped out.  Red flags go up.  My lizard brain says "danger".  I would not trust any of them alone with a child for more than about 30 seconds. 

I could be wrong about all that.  It may be totally fine.  They may be harmless dopes who just take it a little farther than most. 

But I don't think I can help the way I feel.  And I think I have as much right to express that - as long as we're talking about such topics - as people who love mlp and cannot get enough of them.  What's the problem?  I've not had anyone arrested or burned at the stake. Why are my opinions uneeded in the mix?  Without my uneeded opinions, would it even be a mix?

Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +355/-85
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #75 on: October 17, 2013, 09:49:12 PM »
You know who creeps me out? That Nam dude, he's creepy. Dude needs a haircut, too...a good shave...maybe to lose a bit of weight...stop speaking as if he's talking about himself in the 3rd person...or 2nd....hell, first person is just as bad.

Dude just creeps me out. (shivers}

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Offline Angus and Alexis

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
« Reply #76 on: October 18, 2013, 01:56:02 AM »
You know who creeps me out? That Nam dude, he's creepy. Dude needs a haircut, too...a good shave...maybe to lose a bit of weight...stop speaking as if he's talking about himself in the 3rd person...or 2nd....hell, first person is just as bad.

Dude just creeps me out. (shivers}

-Nam

I know...What manner of person is like that? *shivers*

Needs?  What have needs to do with it?  Why do I need to comment at all?  Why do my little ponies need to be discussed here in the first place?  Why does there need to be a wwgha forum? 

To be fair, i did say negative aspects can be discussed, so go ahead.
But could you describe why so in more detail?

I have a certain emotional reaction when I see adult men three-way fist bumping over my little pony.  I feel creeped out.  Red flags go up.  My lizard brain says "danger".  I would not trust any of them alone with a child for more than about 30 seconds. 

Honestly, i would say this is incorrect, unless your child resembles a 2D fictional pony and has pink skin, to add, only the darker side of the fandom is that bad....

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +412/-5
« Reply #77 on: October 18, 2013, 04:21:27 AM »

And I agree.

In purely practical terms we KNOW that children are groomed (and I just noticed the pony link there!) by predators, and a big part of that is pretending to be interested in the things the child is interested in.  So I have an automatic parental defence against any adult who professes a great interest in a product that is specifically aimed at children. 

And I have that reaction despite being an avid Whovian, Star Wars fan, and with a big collection of Doctor Who Character-Building toys on his desk.  Frankly, if I didn't know me, I'd want to know more before I allowed me near my kids.  But I've been a school governor, and I'm CRB-checked in two schools.....chances are, everyone in that photo is in actuality a great person who I could trust with my kids 100%.

But I think the point is, it IS right and proper to be alarmed at certain behaviours with respect to the defence of our offspring.  Whether that alarm proves to be baseless or not is posibly not the issue - as I said in my first paragraph there are very definite reasons why out warning bells should sound.
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?

Offline Angus and Alexis

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
« Reply #78 on: October 18, 2013, 04:54:16 AM »
And I have that reaction despite being an avid Whovian, Star Wars fan, and with a big collection of Doctor Who Character-Building toys on his desk.

We have already ponified that...

Edit, holy shit, that image is too massive O.o.

edit - giflippingnormous photo removed because it was giflippingnormous.
~screwtape
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 09:07:38 AM by screwtape »

Offline Aaron123

• Fellow
  • Darwins +80/-1
« Reply #79 on: October 19, 2013, 01:21:20 PM »
In purely practical terms we KNOW that children are groomed (and I just noticed the pony link there!) by predators, and a big part of that is pretending to be interested in the things the child is interested in.  So I have an automatic parental defence against any adult who professes a great interest in a product that is specifically aimed at children. 

And I have that reaction despite being an avid Whovian, Star Wars fan, and with a big collection of Doctor Who Character-Building toys on his desk.  Frankly, if I didn't know me, I'd want to know more before I allowed me near my kids.  But I've been a school governor, and I'm CRB-checked in two schools.....chances are, everyone in that photo is in actuality a great person who I could trust with my kids 100%.

But I think the point is, it IS right and proper to be alarmed at certain behaviours with respect to the defence of our offspring.  Whether that alarm proves to be baseless or not is posibly not the issue - as I said in my first paragraph there are very definite reasons why out warning bells should sound.

Well, I don't know what to tell you.  I can only say that the concerns here are unfounded.  Being a brony has nothing to do with "interest" in little kids (again, are we only talking about male fans here?), it only has to do with liking a show called My Little Pony.  Certainly, some fans goes overboard with expressing themselves, but as said earlier, that happens in any large fandom.
Being a Christian, I've made my decision. That decision offers no compromise; therefore, I'm closed to anything else.

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +355/-85
« Reply #80 on: October 19, 2013, 01:59:30 PM »
I color in coloring books.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Offline Zankuu

• Reader
  • Darwins +135/-3
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #81 on: October 19, 2013, 02:51:52 PM »
Aaron, I'm going to ramble as it comes to me, but I've thought it over and I still can't nail down the exact reason why I find adult MLP fandom unsettling. And while I don't share the same concerns as screw or Anf (the predatory grooming line of thought), I believe our thoughts stem from a similar social perspective. I watched the Brony documentary, I've read brony threads on dedicated MLP forums, I've watched brony youtube videos, and common denominators for the majority of these adult males are: low confidence, immaturity, and poor social skills. My concern is that the Brony movement is encouraging and enabling what I consider shitty human traits. This, for me, is what sets apart bronies from many of the other types of fanatacism you listed. From the study I cited it was something like 90% of heterosexual brony males were single and roughly 60% wanted to be in a relationship. Guess what's more than likely stopping them? Low confidence. Immaturity. Poor social skills. The very characteristics that are being reinforced by brony-ism.

And you know, for kids like Angus- that's fine I suppose. He's young so I guess that's a valid excuse to watch My Little Pony. But men my age? They're celebrating a show that teaches surface level deep lessons about the magic of friendship. Yeah, it's a great thing to reinforce with children 2-11. But it's bewildering that a 20 or 30 year old man actually takes anything away from these little life lessons? It just isn't admirable to me. I guess that's my issue with it. Their obsession with little, colorful female ponies is socially harmful to themselves.
Leave nothing to chance. Overlook nothing. Combine contradictory observations. Allow yourself enough time. -Hippocrates of Cos

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +355/-85
« Reply #82 on: October 19, 2013, 03:40:13 PM »
The factor that many here aren't stating is that My Little Pony, and other such cartoons are all mainly created by adult men[1]. So, my question would be: Do you think they don't like their own creation(s), and do you find them as distasteful as "bronies"?

-Nam
 1. My Little Pony may be an exception, though men are involved but to a lesser extent,
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 03:43:33 PM by Nam »

Offline Angus and Alexis

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
« Reply #83 on: October 19, 2013, 09:02:18 PM »
Actually Nam, the recent generation was made by Lauren Faust, but now IIRC it is made by an adult male, and animated to by adult males.

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +355/-85
« Reply #84 on: October 19, 2013, 09:54:42 PM »
Actually Nam, the recent generation was made by Lauren Faust, but now IIRC it is made by an adult male, and animated to by adult males.

Yeah, left a note--see it in fine print?

;)

-Nam

Offline Angus and Alexis

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
« Reply #85 on: October 19, 2013, 09:57:07 PM »
I know, just clarifying.

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +412/-5
« Reply #86 on: October 21, 2013, 04:12:04 AM »
So, my question would be: Do you think they don't like their own creation(s), and do you find them as distasteful as "bronies"?

Do you think everyone who works for the railway is a trainspotter?  Is everyone who works for a bank a firm supporter of their lending policy?  Does everyone who works for the government have a deep interest in politics?

Almost certainly the answers are "no", for all those questions.  There is a big difference between doing something as a job, and doing something as a passion.  I'm sure that an awful lot of people involved in the production of MLP are doing it because it is a commodity that pays the bills.  So I'm not sure that the comparison you are making is a meaningful one.
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?