Author Topic: Bill Maher's New Rules - Bachmann, Scalia and the Devil  (Read 359 times)

Online DVZ3

• Reader
  • Darwins +41/-8
Bill Maher's New Rules - Bachmann, Scalia and the Devil
« on: October 12, 2013, 09:07:36 AM »
Start watching the video at about 2:35

http://rackjite.com/new-rules-bill-maher-oct-11-2013/

And finally, New Rule, I know we can't establish a religious test for office, but if you believe we're living in the end times, like Michele Bachmann does, we get to take away the car keys. Yes, let Jesus take the wheel.

If you think the world is about to end, that's your right, but you don't get to vote on next year's budget, because it doesn't concern you!

Don't we wish. She's finally going to scurry out of office now that she's under investigation and might not have been reelected anyway, but not before she's got a chance to inflict more damage on the American public.

He wrapped things up by going after Scalia and his remarks about the devil being "a real person running around, getting people not to believe in god." As Maher noted, a lot of "reasonable people" see Bachmann as a "total lune, but Scalia as a serious intellectual, when actually, they're the exact same idiot." Maher cited some of Scalia's idiocy about the devil making pigs run off of cliffs before letting him have it.

MAHER: Pigs running off cliffs? Hey, leave the debt ceiling deniers out of this. And what is Justice Scalia's theory as to why we don't see the devil anymore? Is it the logical answer that fictions like the devil are in the Bible because it was written before the age of science, when humans didn't know where the sun went at night, and is obviously a reflection of mankind's thinking in his intellectual infancy?

Of course not! That makes sense. What Scalia said about the devil is, “He used to be all over the New Testament... What happened to him?... He got wilier.”
Motherf**ker! Of course! Wilier. He may be evil, but he's always looking to improve himself. Antonin Scalia once said that people like him, who adhere to a traditional belief, were “regarded as simple minded.” We are, he said, fools for Christ.

You know, whether you're fools for Christ, or coo coo for Cocoa Puffs, I really don't care why someone acts like a fool, just that they do and when they do, we keep them away from decision making.

It would be one thing if Mr. Scalia sold pizza for a living, but this is a man we go to to interpret our laws. It's like smelling a gas leak and calling an exorcist. Antonin Scalia put George Bush in the White House and he believes the devil went down to Georgia.

He gets to decide when life begins and he thinks evil is a person, you know, like a corporation. Here's the problem with believing the devil exists. It means you see the world divided into teams of good and evil and suspect the wily one, may be on the side of them, and when you start seeing compromising with your opponent as a compromise with evil, well, there's your tea party.
Hguols: "Its easier for me to believe that a God created everything...."

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +185/-8
Re: Bill Maher's New Rules - Bachmann, Scalia and the Devil
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2013, 09:27:04 AM »
Bill knows how to state things so even the people on the right should be able to see and understand....ha, just joking. ;)
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Foxy Freedom

• Reader
  • Darwins +99/-12
  • Why is it so difficult to say you don't know?
    • Foxy Freedom on Doctor Who
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2013, 09:29:57 AM »
Antonin Scalia put George Bush in the White House and he believes the devil went down to Georgia.

You can assure him that I never went down to Georgia. It was an imposter.
Neither Foxy Freedom nor any associates can be reached via WWGHA. Their official antitheist website is http://the6antitheist6guide6.blogspot.co.uk

The 2nd edition of the free ebook Devil or Delusion ? The danger of Christianity to Democracy Freedom and Science.       http://t.co/2d1KcJ9V

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +130/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2013, 11:14:43 AM »
You know, whether you're fools for Christ, or coo coo for Cocoa Puffs, I really don't care why someone acts like a fool, just that they do and when they do, we keep them away from decision making.

It would be one thing if Mr. Scalia sold pizza for a living, but this is a man we go to to interpret our laws. It's like smelling a gas leak and calling an exorcist. Antonin Scalia put George Bush in the White House and he believes the devil went down to Georgia.

I have never liked Scalia and I have always thought he was an idiot. Regardless of his ability to make some sound judgments, the true problem is not that his judgments do not always agree with mine but rather that his sound judgments are random at best. He makes decisions like it is still 1920. You never know what is going to come out of that man's mouth. On the other hand, Morris Bachmann routinely has it coming out his mouth.

John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Offline MadBunny

• Fellow
  • Darwins +113/-0
  • Fallen Illuminatus
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2013, 11:59:40 AM »
I'm perpetually astonished that Bachman is held in any form of positive regard whatsoever.  There really seems no bottom of the barrel where her opinion is concerned.

As for Scalia.. He doesn't have any excuse.  My suspicion is that he's allowed himself to become surrounded by fundamentalists to the point where it's affected his thinking.  Now when he speaks, he isn't simply stating his opinion, but rather making a performance for his benefactors.
Give a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night.  Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +191/-7
  • Official WWGHA Harpy, Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2013, 01:22:25 PM »
Making a performance for benefactors appears to be what politics has devolved into. Pretty much the same story of the fall of every empire to date though, isn't it?

Then again, this will be the first one to go down with nuclear weapons available...
"It's hard to, but I'm starting to believe some of you actually believe these things.  That is completely beyond my ability to understand if that is really the case, but things never cease to amaze me."

Offline MadBunny

• Fellow
  • Darwins +113/-0
  • Fallen Illuminatus
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2013, 01:32:15 PM »
Sure, but the whole point of the SCOTUS, and their lifetime appointments is that they're supposed to be insulated from the need to do that.
Give a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night.  Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +185/-8
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2013, 06:04:45 PM »
Making a performance for benefactors appears to be what politics has devolved into. Pretty much the same story of the fall of every empire to date though, isn't it?

Then again, this will be the first one to go down with nuclear weapons available...
Look how quickly the USSR fell apart in the 90s.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +130/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2013, 07:22:21 PM »
I'm perpetually astonished that Bachman is held in any form of positive regard whatsoever.  There really seems no bottom of the barrel where her opinion is concerned.

There are lies ... there are damn lies ... and then there is Michele Bachmann.

Ignorance is bliss. Don't care to ask questions? Don't care to find out what is on the other side? Don't care to read books or understand basic math and science?  Vote for Michele Bachmann because she's just like you!

As for Scalia.. He doesn't have any excuse.  My suspicion is that he's allowed himself to become surrounded by fundamentalists to the point where it's affected his thinking.  Now when he speaks, he isn't simply stating his opinion, but rather making a performance for his benefactors.

As with Bachmann, there are a certain number of people in our country who think the bible is 100% right on everything -- or at least in the few passages that they care to read or reference. The bible-god is salvation and the government is the devil. Bachmann does not view herself as a US Representative from MN-6 but rather an emissary to the occupying force governed by Obama Beelzebub.

Scalia may have seemed sane at one time, but I am not inclined to think so. As he has gotten older I think Scalia has simply arrived at the point where he is comfortable with being Crazy Uncle Tony at the Sunday dinner table. He is no longer self-censoring anything. Age is no friend in that circumstance.

In fact, Scalia and Thomas have been the driving forces behind being more outspoken instead of keeping their mouths shut which was the tradition of many a Supreme Court Justice. Once Alito arrived (Alito is not a wallflower), Scalia and Thomas no longer felt like bastard stepchildren who have to keep their mouths shut or be struck with a rod. This is the consequence of appointments made by fundy-loving presidents.

John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2013, 07:29:27 PM »
I've been up to Georgia several times, never been down to it.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.