Author Topic: Krokodil  (Read 515 times)

Offline shnozzola

Krokodil
« on: October 11, 2013, 07:27:53 PM »
The home-made drug that Oleg and Sasha inject is known as krokodil, or "crocodile". It is desomorphine, a synthetic opiate many times more powerful than heroin that is created from a complex chain of mixing and chemical reactions, which the addicts perform from memory several times a day. While heroin costs from £20 to £60 per dose, desomorphine can be "cooked" from codeine-based headache pills that cost £2 per pack, and other household ingredients available cheaply from the markets.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/krokodil-the-drug-that-eats-junkies-2300787.html

"She won't go to hospital, she just keeps injecting. Her flesh is falling off and she can hardly move anymore," says Sasha. Photographs of late-stage krokodil addicts are disturbing in the extreme. Flesh goes grey and peels away to leave bones exposed. People literally rot to death.

horrendous, disgusting, graphic, stomach-turning image remove. 

Come on, man, you cannot put pictures like that here without a warning!
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 11:35:30 AM by screwtape »
“I wanna go ice fishing on Europa, and see if something swims up to the camera lens and licks it.”- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +817/-5
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
Re: Krokodil
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2013, 07:55:22 PM »
Now that is nasty. I think if a person is addicted to that, it would be perfectly reasonable to hit them over the head with a bat and drag them off to the nearest medical facility.  :o
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2013, 08:20:02 PM »
Never understood how people could do that kind of stuff to themselves even after being shown the evidence and pics.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +817/-5
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2013, 08:41:25 PM »
Clearly, this drug does something to the person's brain that is so profound that it overrides even the basic survival instinct. Like, it's eating away your body right before your very eyes, hello!

I saw a video on people addicted to smoking coca paste[1] in South America. All the addict does is seek out the stuff, prepare it and smoke it. Non-stop. No food, no water. It eats away the brain and the person ends up a babbling lunatic.

This stuff is so awful that young addicted people who are wealthy enough have submitted to experimental neurosurgery, where the pleasure centers of the brain are severed. They are willing to risk never feeling pleasure again in life, in order to quit the stuff and regain some control over their lives.

This krokodil appears to be even worse. Like volunteering to give yourself leprosy or to become a walking zombie. Yech.
 1. kind of a by product of processing coca leaves into cocaine powder

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2013, 07:16:14 AM »
I'm sure someone is praying for God to cure him/them.

Offline hickdive

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +32/-0
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2013, 07:20:45 AM »
Well, that fair gied me the dry boak.
Stupidity, unlike intelligence, has no limits.

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2013, 08:21:10 AM »
It makes you wonder who comes up with the ideas for these concoctions in the first place... let's see, if I mix some really nasty shit together, toss in some drain cleaner and battery acid - why not inject it?

Read some of the experience reports over at erowid.org to see how messed up some folks can be about what they introduce into their body. http://www.erowid.org/experiences/exp.cgi?New
I doubt krocodil is on there, hard to type with arms rotting off.
If xian hell really exists, the stench of the burning billions of us should be a constant, putrid reminder to the handful of heavenward xians how loving your god is.  - neopagan

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +124/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2013, 11:20:44 AM »

John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Online Zankuu

• Reader
  • Darwins +126/-2
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2013, 11:39:29 AM »
Chronos, if not for this thread I would have thought that video was viral marketing for an edgier Requiem for a Dream type movie. It's hard to believe people inject that.
Leave nothing to chance. Overlook nothing. Combine contradictory observations. Allow yourself enough time. -Hippocrates of Cos

Offline Angus and Alexis

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
  • Residential Tulpamancer.
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2013, 11:56:04 AM »
Gah, fuck...

Its like they are giving themselves necrosis!

No seriously...that image...*shivers*...
Rule 1: No pooftas. Rule 2: No maltreating the theists, IF, anyone is watching. Rule 3: No pooftas. Rule 4: I do not want to see anyone NOT drinking after light out. Rule 5: No pooftas. Rule 6: There is NO...rule 6.

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +278/-36
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2013, 12:06:06 PM »
I have to ask... Why would someone start using this substance, knowing full-well what its effects are? I can understand people who are forced to use this substance. Hell, I can even understand people who are ignorant of its effects. What I don't understand is people who know what it will do to them and still choose to use it. Are people just that desperate for drugs? Have people really become so depressed they'll take anything if it will help them forget their lives?
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline Angus and Alexis

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
  • Residential Tulpamancer.
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2013, 12:09:58 PM »
Are people just that desperate for drugs? Have people really become so depressed they'll take anything if it will help them forget their lives?

I have heard of students here ingesting hand sanitizer for its alcohol...sooo...yes?
Rule 1: No pooftas. Rule 2: No maltreating the theists, IF, anyone is watching. Rule 3: No pooftas. Rule 4: I do not want to see anyone NOT drinking after light out. Rule 5: No pooftas. Rule 6: There is NO...rule 6.

Online Zankuu

• Reader
  • Darwins +126/-2
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2013, 12:25:26 PM »
OAA, from what I understand it's mostly heroin users making the switch to krokodil. Maybe they want a higher high, maybe they're strapped on cash, maybe they don't know what it does, probably a combination. But if the effects are 3x or more greater than heroin like I've read then I'd guess the mental and physical dependence is probably too much for a junkie to overcome. That next hit will make them forget all about that rotting flesh.
Leave nothing to chance. Overlook nothing. Combine contradictory observations. Allow yourself enough time. -Hippocrates of Cos

Offline pianodwarf

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +207/-6
  • Je bois ton lait frappé
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2013, 12:39:43 PM »
The first thing that goes thru my head when I see this is, "Holy mackerel.  What in the world must this stuff feel like that people are still willing to risk having that happen to them to try it?"
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Online Zankuu

• Reader
  • Darwins +126/-2
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2013, 12:45:24 PM »
piano, perhaps you could write your thesis on it? Krokodil and Kant: Deep (Veined) Philosophical Quandaries.

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +817/-5
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2013, 02:28:49 PM »
People still take up smoking all the time, even after seeing relatives die gasping to breathe in an oxygen tank. I know a woman whose mother died exactly like that, and she smokes-- to stay thin. :P

Doctor and nurses smoke at high rates, and they witness first hand the nasty black hard crusty lungs and people breathing through a tube in the neck.  :?

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2013, 06:07:39 PM »
People still take up smoking all the time, even after seeing relatives die gasping to breathe in an oxygen tank. I know a woman whose mother died exactly like that, and she smokes-- to stay thin. :P

Doctor and nurses smoke at high rates, and they witness first hand the nasty black hard crusty lungs and people breathing through a tube in the neck.  :?
Nicotine is one of the most powerful drugs on the planet.

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +124/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2013, 07:03:55 PM »
I have to ask... Why would someone start using this substance, knowing full-well what its effects are? ... What I don't understand is people who know what it will do to them and still choose to use it.

In America, we have little or no affordable mental health care. Those who don't get the care they need will find some way of relieving themselves of the depression or psychosis they suffer. People use drugs to cause themselves to stop feeling other things -- the other things that bother or torment them. Compounding the problem is that substance abuse actually worsens mental health causing a downward spiral.

Are people just that desperate for drugs? Have people really become so depressed they'll take anything if it will help them forget their lives?

Once the pattern of abuse starts, it only gets worse. Those who bypass alcohol and pills for their relief and jump straight to injectibles have already reduced the number of choices available. Like an economy of its own, they go for whatever is the cheapest high because they progressively have less and less money to buy what they need.

The first thing that goes thru my head when I see this is, "Holy mackerel.  What in the world must this stuff feel like that people are still willing to risk having that happen to them to try it?"

I think there comes a point at which the abusers do not care if they live any longer or not.

Some people with mental health issues turn to religion for their self-medicating substance. (edit)

Woman loses her mind, starts screaming to God on flight to Tampa

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/crazy-video-shows-woman-losing-mind-flight-tampa-article-1.1482922#ixzz2hYeJ1uQG

« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 07:36:51 PM by Chronos »
John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +298/-82
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2013, 07:32:00 PM »
I have to ask... Why would someone start using this substance, knowing full-well what its effects are? I can understand people who are forced to use this substance. Hell, I can even understand people who are ignorant of its effects. What I don't understand is people who know what it will do to them and still choose to use it. Are people just that desperate for drugs? Have people really become so depressed they'll take anything if it will help them forget their lives?

They're nuts to begin with.

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey