Author Topic: Serpents  (Read 274 times)

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +124/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
Serpents
« on: October 05, 2013, 07:43:57 AM »
No new info here, just new personalities:

Snake-Handling Preachers Open Up About 'Takin' Up Serpents'

Snake handlers dwell at the edge of the spiritual frontier — a community of people who are willing to die for their faith three times a week in church. Members of the Pentecostal Holiness Church take up venomous serpents to prove their faith in God. The practice is still widespread in Appalachia, though mostly hidden.
John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +124/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
Re: Serpents
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2013, 05:26:49 AM »
CHEATERS!!

Serpent Experts Try To Demystify Pentecostal Snake Handling

The herpetologists at the Kentucky Reptile Zoo have been following the activities of Pentecostal snake handlers for years.

"The animals that I've seen that have come from religious snake handlers were in bad condition," says Kristen Wiley ... "They did not have water. The cages had been left not cleaned for a pretty long period of time. And the other thing we noticed is there were eight or 10 copperheads in a container that was not very large."

What's more, she says there was no fecal material in the container, which indicated the snakes were not being fed. Riley says a snake that may be dehydrated, underweight and sick from close confinement is less likely to strike than a healthy snake. Moreover, the venom it produces is weaker.

John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +509/-18
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2013, 06:24:04 AM »
http://www.npr.org/2013/10/18/236997513/serpent-experts-try-to-demystify-pentecostal-snake-handling

An entirely different view of religious snake handling comes from Whitfield Gibbons, an authority on snakes of the Southeastern U.S. at the University of Georgia.

"I think most snakes, a rattlesnake or a copperhead, if you are gentle with them after they've been in captivity and [you] pick them up gently, they won't bite you. So, it wouldn't matter what [your] religious belief was," Gibbons says.

He does not recommend that anyone try this.

However, I take a more robust view. I feel that every professing Christian should be locked in a small room with a few yellow-jackets and a 20 or 30 snakes.
RELIGION, n. A daughter of Hope and Fear, explaining to Ignorance the nature of the Unknowable. Ambrose Bierce

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2013, 06:27:32 AM »
How???  Just how stupid can people be???
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +298/-82
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2013, 10:21:50 AM »
How???  Just how stupid can people be???

Pretty damn stupid, Nick.

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey