Author Topic: Man Is Back From The Dead. Facebook Goes Wild. Is It A Miracle?  (Read 1163 times)

Offline median

• Reader
  • Darwins +192/-15
  • Yahweh: Obviously not obvious.
    • Talk Origins
Re: Man Is Back From The Dead. Facebook Goes Wild. Is It A Miracle?
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2013, 03:27:07 PM »
It is not possible for a brain to go 45 minutes without oxygen and have that person live by any definition.
Indeed.  The doctors worked on him for 45 minutes[1], and pronounced him dead at the end of that time.  Notably, air can get trapped in the lungs by resuscitation efforts, and when they stop, it lets the air get to the heart again.  Heart activity started five to seven minutes later, at which point the doctors started working on him again.  Also, his body was cooled by them, which increased the amount of time his brain could survive without oxygen.  In other words, if it hadn't been for the doctors and everything they did to keep him alive, he wouldn't be.

Something to point out to your former friends, median, is that they, in their ignorance, would ignore what these doctors actually did that kept this man alive, instead giving the credit to God.
 1. contrary to what was reported in the media, he was not dead for 45 minutes

Thanks Jaimehlers, I will make a note of this and post it to my FB. In fact, I was already planning on posting the responses here as they come through :P It should be fun hearing the rationalizations. What's even more hilarious though is how Christians are eagerly seeking out these kinds of events in order to bolster their assumptions. One would think they really didn't have that much 'faith' in the first place!
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. Carl Sagan

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2013, 03:57:59 PM »
Damn doctors just got in the way.  If they had backed off this guy would not have needed days to recup.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Willie

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +71/-1
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2013, 10:23:49 PM »
2) Why is this guy so annoying to god, that god could only stand his company for 45 minutes before throwing him out of heaven?
Haha, or maybe he was sent to hell and the devil sent him back up here to cause havoc and solidify people's belief in a false god. Yep, it's a Satanic recruitment drive, there. Post that on facebook.  8)

The dude's a diesel mechanic. God just needed his truck fixed.

Offline median

• Reader
  • Darwins +192/-15
  • Yahweh: Obviously not obvious.
    • Talk Origins
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2013, 12:26:31 AM »
2) Why is this guy so annoying to god, that god could only stand his company for 45 minutes before throwing him out of heaven?
Haha, or maybe he was sent to hell and the devil sent him back up here to cause havoc and solidify people's belief in a false god. Yep, it's a Satanic recruitment drive, there. Post that on facebook.  8)

The dude's a diesel mechanic. God just needed his truck fixed.

lol, He must have changed his mind!
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. Carl Sagan

Offline natlegend

• Reader
  • Darwins +63/-0
  • I shall smite thee, in HIS honor
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2013, 02:47:47 AM »
Well, there's this sort of thing...

lhttp://www.news.com.au/technology/sci-tech/british-baby-girl-brought-back-to-life-after-being-frozen-for-three-days/story-fn5fsgyc-1226015463826

...and this sort of thing...

http://www.wisn.com/Doctors-Amazed-As-Frozen-Woman-Comes-Back-To-Life/-/9374034/8077318/-/h19umsz/-/index.html

So, shit happens...[1]
 1. I admit I didn't read the original article posted by the OP so I don't know how the guy 'died', but I reckon being dead for 90 minutes beats 45 minutes by, oh, lemme see, 45 minutes?
"When we landed on the moon, that was the point where God should have come up and said hello. Because if you invent some creatures, put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, you fucking turn up and say well done." - Eddie Izzard

You keep using that word. I do not think it means

Offline Anfauglir

• Darwins +407/-5
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2013, 03:47:10 AM »
"The doctors were all wrong, and/or everything they did was useless!" cry the believers.  "God brought him back, its god that is in control!"

And watch them scurry to the doctor's next time they or someone they love is injured, rather than staying at home and trusting in god to sort things out.  If doctors are so wrong, so useless, why bother with them?

In fact, lets get those defibrillators out of public buildings, and ban anyone learning CPR.  Its all unnecessary if god is around to take a hand.

- - - - -

Alternative tack: if this was TRULY a miracle, then their god has clearly and demonstrably shown that he can and will bring people back to life, can and will intervene directly in the world.  Which means that EVERY person who dies and does NOT come back, died because god wanted them to.  Every person who gets raped or beaten or starved or abused, has it happen to them because god specifically decided to stand back and let it happen. 

This "miracle" pisses all over the "god can't reveal himself because of free will" argument.  There is a big part of me that says we should accept this event as a genuine miracle from god, agree with the believers that that is what it was - and then push them on the questions that arise from it.    A genuine miracle gives them nowhere to go with a lot of their apologetic excuses.
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +618/-23
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2013, 10:53:04 AM »
What's even more hilarious though is how Christians are eagerly seeking out these kinds of events in order to bolster their assumptions.

This is a human trait. The people who do not do this are special in that their confirmation bias was made known to them and they have practiced overcomming it.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.