Author Topic: Some great science history  (Read 120 times)

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +690/-3
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
Some great science history
« on: October 10, 2013, 10:28:16 AM »
I just found a blog series (9 posts) detailing the history of heliocentrism and its progress from ignorance to our current understanding of our planet as it moves around the sun and through the galaxy. It couldn't be more detailed, nor more understanding of why old science was wrong. Incredibly well written and illustrated, I suggest anyone interested in the history of science plow into this baby.

The author is sympathetic to those early wonderers who concluded that the earth stood still while everything else moved around it. And he details (and I do mean details) the march of science as we moved from ignorance to knowledge. A very impressive series. I haven't waded through all of it yet, but all I can say right now is wow. Just wow.

Here is the link to the first post:
http://tofspot.blogspot.com/2013/08/the-great-ptolemaic-smackdown.html

And here is a list of the nine blog posts:
http://tofspot.blogspot.com/2013/10/the-great-ptolemaic-smackdown-table-of.html

To me, the series explains why early humans had wrong explanations, and hence also suggests why religions arose, or at least why the part of religions that explain reality arose. And of course they were wrong. They had no other choice. Lacking actual input from their hoped-for deities, they had to make everything up. And  then add floods and such for drama. Which would all be as fascinating as the above series, except people today continue to believe such tripe. But it is easy to enjoy the march of science, since progress has been made, and will continue to be made. At least until all of our scientific instruments melt because of global warming.
Not everyone is entitled to their opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +290/-80
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: Some great science history
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2013, 10:36:00 AM »
People have small minds with large imaginations--of course we believe tripe. We all have our illusions, some just more vocal than others whether they are wrong, or not.

I'll bookmark it but I have other things I'm reading currently. Granted I've read them before but read repetitively what you enjoy, no?

-Nam
This is my signature "Nam", don't I have nice typing skills?