Author Topic: Duolingo and Language Learning  (Read 418 times)

Offline Benny

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +16/-1
  • Hugs And Love
    • My YouTube channel
Duolingo and Language Learning
« on: October 16, 2013, 02:29:37 PM »
(Note: I am not making any money from this advertisement, and I'm not a bot.  I just really, really like this thing.)

I've been using this website called Duolingo.  It's a game that helps you learn a language.  (They have Spanish, French, German, Italian, and Portuguese, with more to come soon.)  I'm having a lot of fun with it, and I think it would be cool to see a few of you guys on there, too.  It has something like 10 million users through word-of-mouth only in just 15 months.  If anyone here is interested in learning a second (or third, etc.) language, PM me your e-mail so I can send you a referral link.  (Or just go to Duolingo.com to sign up, but then I won't get referral points, and that's no fun!)

In the interest of this sparking a discussion and not just being an advertisement: Has anyone here tried to learn a language, in school or otherwise?  How did it go?
I'm here every now and again.
We're gonna rock down to Alexis Avenue, he makes the score go higher!

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +354/-85
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: Duolingo and Language Learning
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2013, 04:15:43 PM »
I know old English.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +354/-85
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 04:17:06 PM »
Well, I did. I haven't practiced it in 4 years. I have a tendency to forget things if I don't remind myself of it.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Offline Benny

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +16/-1
  • Hugs And Love
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, 05:52:08 PM »
Well, I did. I haven't practiced it in 4 years. I have a tendency to forget things if I don't remind myself of it.

-Nam
(Again, this sounds like a paid advertisement, but it's not.)

Duolingo is fantastic for getting things into your long-term memory.  It uses spaced-repetition methods, like some other popular programs, to keep words fresh even when you're not using them in your lessons.  I think you would be great for it--you seem to me like a dedicated fellow.  If you want to learn a language,  I think you would really like this program.  Just PM me your e-mail and I'll send you a referral.

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +354/-85
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2013, 05:55:07 PM »
I don't think I have a long time memory anymore.

;)

Stop saying this isn't an advert, you keep repeating it, I'll start believing it is.

-Nam

Online wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +85/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2013, 06:40:49 PM »
Took Spanish in high school and a couple of semesters in college. Despite living in parts of California with large Hispanic populations, it hasn't stayed with me; I see that as my own fault. I did mostly enjoy the process of learning it, though. Learning another language does interesting things to your thought processes; I think I have an increased appreciation of literature and writing in general as a result.

Edit: thanks for the tip about Duolingo; I'll check it out.
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline Foxy Freedom

• Reader
  • Darwins +112/-12
  • Why is it so difficult to say you don't know?
    • Foxy Freedom on Doctor Who
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2013, 06:49:20 PM »
Learning a language increases resistance to dementia. It has been recommended that all school children learn a language. You should learn a language at least when you retire.
The Foxy Freedom antitheist website is http://the6antitheist6guide6.blogspot.co.uk

The 2nd edition of the free ebook Devil or Delusion ? The danger of Christianity to Democracy Freedom and Science.       http://t.co/2d1KcJ9V

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2013, 06:59:50 PM »
I googled it.  I like that it is in a game format, and most of all that it is free.

How does it fund itself?  Advertising?

I am, however, suspicious of any program that claims you're going to have fluency in a foreign language in a set number of months using a computer or watching videos.  Language acquisition is a process that takes years, unless you are subject to total immersion.  And even then, it takes a while. 

But that doesn't mean that you can't learn vocabulary and structure from a computer. 

Offline Benny

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +16/-1
  • Hugs And Love
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2013, 10:26:20 PM »
I googled it.  I like that it is in a game format, and most of all that it is free.

How does it fund itself?  Advertising?

I am, however, suspicious of any program that claims you're going to have fluency in a foreign language in a set number of months using a computer or watching videos.  Language acquisition is a process that takes years, unless you are subject to total immersion.  And even then, it takes a while. 

But that doesn't mean that you can't learn vocabulary and structure from a computer.

No advertising. (Edit: sorry if I wasn't clear.  I meant that Duolingo does not have ads on it, or pay for ads.)  You can submit a text to the website, and the users will translate it for you, BUT it will cost you money.  That's where the cash comes from.

I don't think it claims fluency.  Duolingo brings you up to a basic-to-moderate level of proficiency.  It's a base-level course, but it's a great start.  I'm about halfway through the Spanish course and I already know more than I could have ever imagined.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 10:30:37 PM by Benny »