Author Topic: Duolingo and Language Learning  (Read 323 times)

Offline Benny

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +16/-1
  • Hugs And Love
    • My YouTube channel
Duolingo and Language Learning
« on: October 16, 2013, 02:29:37 PM »
(Note: I am not making any money from this advertisement, and I'm not a bot.  I just really, really like this thing.)

I've been using this website called Duolingo.  It's a game that helps you learn a language.  (They have Spanish, French, German, Italian, and Portuguese, with more to come soon.)  I'm having a lot of fun with it, and I think it would be cool to see a few of you guys on there, too.  It has something like 10 million users through word-of-mouth only in just 15 months.  If anyone here is interested in learning a second (or third, etc.) language, PM me your e-mail so I can send you a referral link.  (Or just go to Duolingo.com to sign up, but then I won't get referral points, and that's no fun!)

In the interest of this sparking a discussion and not just being an advertisement: Has anyone here tried to learn a language, in school or otherwise?  How did it go?
I'm here every now and again.
We're gonna rock down to Alexis Avenue, he makes the score go higher!

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +297/-82
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: Duolingo and Language Learning
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2013, 04:15:43 PM »
I know old English.

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +297/-82
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 04:17:06 PM »
Well, I did. I haven't practiced it in 4 years. I have a tendency to forget things if I don't remind myself of it.

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline Benny

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +16/-1
  • Hugs And Love
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, 05:52:08 PM »
Well, I did. I haven't practiced it in 4 years. I have a tendency to forget things if I don't remind myself of it.

-Nam
(Again, this sounds like a paid advertisement, but it's not.)

Duolingo is fantastic for getting things into your long-term memory.  It uses spaced-repetition methods, like some other popular programs, to keep words fresh even when you're not using them in your lessons.  I think you would be great for it--you seem to me like a dedicated fellow.  If you want to learn a language,  I think you would really like this program.  Just PM me your e-mail and I'll send you a referral.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +297/-82
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2013, 05:55:07 PM »
I don't think I have a long time memory anymore.

;)

Stop saying this isn't an advert, you keep repeating it, I'll start believing it is.

-Nam

Online wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +74/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2013, 06:40:49 PM »
Took Spanish in high school and a couple of semesters in college. Despite living in parts of California with large Hispanic populations, it hasn't stayed with me; I see that as my own fault. I did mostly enjoy the process of learning it, though. Learning another language does interesting things to your thought processes; I think I have an increased appreciation of literature and writing in general as a result.

Edit: thanks for the tip about Duolingo; I'll check it out.
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline Foxy Freedom

• Reader
  • Darwins +91/-11
  • Why is it so difficult to say you don't know?
    • Foxy Freedom on Doctor Who
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2013, 06:49:20 PM »
Learning a language increases resistance to dementia. It has been recommended that all school children learn a language. You should learn a language at least when you retire.
Neither Foxy Freedom nor any associates can be reached via WWGHA. Their official antitheist website is http://the6antitheist6guide6.blogspot.co.uk

The 2nd edition of the free ebook Devil or Delusion ? The danger of Christianity to Democracy Freedom and Science.       http://t.co/2d1KcJ9V

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2013, 06:59:50 PM »
I googled it.  I like that it is in a game format, and most of all that it is free.

How does it fund itself?  Advertising?

I am, however, suspicious of any program that claims you're going to have fluency in a foreign language in a set number of months using a computer or watching videos.  Language acquisition is a process that takes years, unless you are subject to total immersion.  And even then, it takes a while. 

But that doesn't mean that you can't learn vocabulary and structure from a computer. 

Offline Benny

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +16/-1
  • Hugs And Love
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2013, 10:26:20 PM »
I googled it.  I like that it is in a game format, and most of all that it is free.

How does it fund itself?  Advertising?

I am, however, suspicious of any program that claims you're going to have fluency in a foreign language in a set number of months using a computer or watching videos.  Language acquisition is a process that takes years, unless you are subject to total immersion.  And even then, it takes a while. 

But that doesn't mean that you can't learn vocabulary and structure from a computer.

No advertising. (Edit: sorry if I wasn't clear.  I meant that Duolingo does not have ads on it, or pay for ads.)  You can submit a text to the website, and the users will translate it for you, BUT it will cost you money.  That's where the cash comes from.

I don't think it claims fluency.  Duolingo brings you up to a basic-to-moderate level of proficiency.  It's a base-level course, but it's a great start.  I'm about halfway through the Spanish course and I already know more than I could have ever imagined.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 10:30:37 PM by Benny »