Author Topic: Why wont God Heal Amputees? Because He wants to heal their hearts...  (Read 14788 times)

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +645/-27
  • Karma mooch
Re: Why wont God Heal Amputees? Because He wants to heal their hearts...
« Reply #319 on: October 04, 2013, 08:50:07 AM »
Why did noone else build a boat when they saw what Noah was upto etc

evil is stupid.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline jdawg70

• Reader
  • Darwins +339/-7
  • Ex-rosary squad
"When we landed on the moon, that was the point where god should have come up and said 'hello'. Because if you invent some creatures, put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, you f**king turn up and say 'well done'."
- Eddie Izzard

Offline Angus and Alexis

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
  • Residential Tulpamancer.
« Reply #321 on: October 04, 2013, 09:29:03 AM »
His schwartz is almost as big as mine.
Rule 1: No pooftas. Rule 2: No maltreating the theists, IF, anyone is watching. Rule 3: No pooftas. Rule 4: I do not want to see anyone NOT drinking after light out. Rule 5: No pooftas. Rule 6: There is NO...rule 6.

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #322 on: October 04, 2013, 09:41:53 AM »

Noah had deforested the entire area of all the gopherwood, so the sinners had sand and rocks... never worked for boats.
If xian hell really exists, the stench of the burning billions of us should be a constant, putrid reminder to the handful of heavenward xians how loving your god is.  - neopagan

Offline Mrjason

• Reader
  • Darwins +89/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #323 on: October 04, 2013, 09:50:42 AM »

Noah had deforested the entire area of all the gopherwood, so the sinners had sand and rocks... never worked for boats.

With a bunch of rocks and their evil ways why not just boatjack noah or batter him to death with said rocks.

Although evil is stupid evil is evil too.

Offline Angus and Alexis

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
« Reply #324 on: October 04, 2013, 09:53:45 AM »
With a bunch of rocks and their evil ways why not just boatjack noah or batter him to death with said rocks.

Although evil is stupid evil is evil too.

Even evil has standards...
Rule 1: No pooftas. Rule 2: No maltreating the theists, IF, anyone is watching. Rule 3: No pooftas. Rule 4: I do not want to see anyone NOT drinking after light out. Rule 5: No pooftas. Rule 6: There is NO...rule 6.

Offline median

• Reader
  • Darwins +201/-16
  • Yahweh: Obviously not obvious.
    • Talk Origins
« Reply #325 on: October 04, 2013, 03:01:03 PM »
They knew they weren't supposed to eat the forbidden fruit, because they were specifically told not to eat the forbidden fruit.

That doesn't deal with the objection I raised. It's a flat out contradiction. According to the bible, they didn't know it was wrong (b/c they didn't know good/evil). Is this really that difficult to see? It's like punishing a child for spilling your drink even though you told him not to and you knew that he didn't know it was wrong. If there's no way of knowing the consequences (due to complete lack of knowledge) it is irrational to hold the subject accountable. Do you punish a toddler if he scratches your car or breaks the TV (even if you told him not to)? It's absurd (but I'm not surprised if you refuse to see that). This whole theology is complete nonsense (just like all the other theologies created by men). In fact, Paul even admits this (of sorts) in 1 Corinthians 1. Did you not know this? Why try to reason about something that is blatantly and clearly irrational? Just admit that your theology is irrational and then we can talk about why you are holding irrational beliefs.

You're conflating plans, as that word is used in the general sense of preparedness for multiple eventualities, and desires, as that word is used in specifically wanting to bring about an event or result. For example, my home state of California plans for earthquakes. We don't want the to happen, but we know they're going to. So many of us have small emergency stashes of food, water, medical kits, etc. Likewise, you could say God planned for the fall of man even before he created man. But that doesn't mean he wanted the fall of man to occur.

Except you've left out at least two things from this picture. 1. Your alleged 'God' is omnimax, and could very easily have avoided the "earthquake" (a point I hinted at earlier regarding "the fall" and God's alleged "plan", and 2) The bible quite specifically depicts a very different picture (one where he is 'in control' of creation - as a potter controls his pottery - nothing happens that does not go according to his will, etc). So it seems you are making up your own theology to avoid the inherent irrational nature of your bible. This is exactly what Muslims, Mormon, JWs, and Hindus try to do when we debate with them too, you know. 

Creation as taught in the Bible means that God created the universe out of nothing. Nothing existed in its place before.

So God did not exist before God existed? LOL. This is another critical flaw in this line of thinking. Is God not 'something'? Do you not believe that God created man "in his image" and "after his own likeness"? Then, according to your own theology, we didn't come from nothing. We came from something (namely God). So you too don't believe in 'nothing', and never did. You believe there always was something. You're just choosing to call it 'God' (which doesn't refer to anything). But why call it that? Ah yes, b/c you assumed the bible is 'the Word of God'. But why should anyone think that? The bible is riddled with contradiction, errors, and falsities (which can be found easily with any quick Google search). Bart Ehrman is a bible scholar who was once an evangelical. He discovered these problems and actually decided to get honest about them (unlike most Christians who ignore them or try to SPIN/rationalize them away to save face). It's time to take a good look at the other side (without fear of the social consequences). It's time to put the pursuit of truth above emotional response or consequence.

Belief is a choice, even when it's a passive choice.

NO, belief is NOT a choice. You can't choose to genuinely believe in magic pink unicorns. Belief happens when one is convinced (by good or bad reasons). It is not a choice. If someone steals your car you can't choose to believe it was not stolen (b/c you've already been convinced it was stolen). Please stop listening to Paul, and perhaps your pastor, who keep lying to you about this. It's simply not true.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 03:18:43 PM by median »
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. Carl Sagan

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +257/-7
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #326 on: October 04, 2013, 05:56:58 PM »
If Biblegod  drowned the entire world, how did they breathe? Oxygen is produced by plants, and trees, no? Did the oxygen before the flood last until it was all over?

-Nam

Doesn't phytoplankton produce the majority of oxygen?
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Offline Foxy Freedom

• Reader
  • Darwins +90/-11
  • Why is it so difficult to say you don't know?
    • Foxy Freedom on Doctor Who
« Reply #327 on: October 04, 2013, 06:28:12 PM »

Creation as taught in the Bible means that God created the universe out of nothing. Nothing existed in its place before.

This is not true. It is an example of you seeing what you want to see. The bible does not say god created the universe from nothing. See my thread- in the beginning was what?

http://whywontgodhealamputees.com/forums/index.php/topic,25495.0.html
Neither Foxy Freedom nor any associates can be reached via WWGHA. Their official antitheist website is http://the6antitheist6guide6.blogspot.co.uk

The 2nd edition of the free ebook Devil or Delusion ? The danger of Christianity to Democracy Freedom and Science.       http://t.co/2d1KcJ9V

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +297/-82
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #328 on: October 04, 2013, 06:31:18 PM »
If Biblegod  drowned the entire world, how did they breathe? Oxygen is produced by plants, and trees, no? Did the oxygen before the flood last until it was all over?

-Nam

I don't know, not a science geek.

;)

Hell, Christians probably think Biblegod's farts produce oxygen.

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline Foxy Freedom

• Reader
  • Darwins +90/-11
  • Why is it so difficult to say you don't know?
    • Foxy Freedom on Doctor Who
« Reply #329 on: October 04, 2013, 07:33:16 PM »
Jesus wasn't just paying for your sins and my sins, even if our sins appear relatively less heinous than those of mass murderers, for example. He was also paying for the sins of those mass murderers and every other sin every committed.

That is why Christianity is immoral.
Neither Foxy Freedom nor any associates can be reached via WWGHA. Their official antitheist website is http://the6antitheist6guide6.blogspot.co.uk

The 2nd edition of the free ebook Devil or Delusion ? The danger of Christianity to Democracy Freedom and Science.       http://t.co/2d1KcJ9V

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +810/-5
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #330 on: October 04, 2013, 07:54:11 PM »
I don't get why Jesus is supposed to be so special.  Soldiers, police, firefighters, risk death all the time. Pilots and flight attendants are trained to risk their lives to save their passengers. Teachers have died protecting their students.  There are women who died giving birth after more than three days of labor. Prisoners in concentration camps have endured months of suffering and have sacrificed themselves so others could live.

So, lots of people have sacrificed their lives for others, knowing that they would not be brought back to life. Many parents would give their lives to save their kids. I know I would be willing to face death to save my child-- or anyone's child. Give me the chance to save everyone on the planet by being tortured for three days and then dying? I'd sign right up. I am willing to bet that most people on earth would give their lives for far less than saving the souls of all humankind. 

So, why is Jesus special again? :?
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline median

• Reader
  • Darwins +201/-16
    • Talk Origins
« Reply #331 on: October 05, 2013, 01:02:29 AM »
Jesus wasn't just paying for your sins and my sins, even if our sins appear relatively less heinous than those of mass murderers, for example. He was also paying for the sins of those mass murderers and every other sin every committed. So I don't think you need to construe his crucifixion so individually. Yes, it was for you, but not only for you.

So you allegedly have this all-powerful, all-knowing, all-good, God thing that decides to make a creation (knowing in advance what will happen) just so it can come down bodily and sacrifice itself, to itself, to act as a "payment" for a rule which it created for us in the first place. And this makes sense...how? If your theology is correct then this Jesus/God thing itself is responsible for the actions of it's creation (indeed it's an accomplice and has no room to blame us for anything). Fortunately, (just like the other religions) this alleged deity Yahweh thing looks quite clearly to be fiction and so there is no real reason to take the story seriously anyways.

Btw, how can you call a God "good" who could allow a person to live a life of monstrous mass murder (such as Hitler), and then "repent" at the last minute only to be allowed entrance into paradise? Why would you even worship an idea like this? You can't have a deity that is all-just and all-merciful (just like you can't have a deity that is changeless but changes it's mind). Alleged deities with contradictory characteristics like this simply do not exist.

Offline median

• Reader
  • Darwins +201/-16
    • Talk Origins
« Reply #332 on: October 05, 2013, 01:08:02 AM »
I don't get why Jesus is supposed to be so special.  Soldiers, police, firefighters, risk death all the time. Pilots and flight attendants are trained to risk their lives to save their passengers. Teachers have died protecting their students.  There are women who died giving birth after more than three days of labor. Prisoners in concentration camps have endured months of suffering and have sacrificed themselves so others could live.

So, lots of people have sacrificed their lives for others, knowing that they would not be brought back to life. Many parents would give their lives to save their kids. I know I would be willing to face death to save my child-- or anyone's child. Give me the chance to save everyone on the planet by being tortured for three days and then dying? I'd sign right up. I am willing to bet that most people on earth would give their lives for far less than saving the souls of all humankind. 

So, why is Jesus special again? :?

100% spot on. This Jesus concept didn't 'sacrifice' anything. It was supposed to be "God in flesh" and got to come back to life (supposedly) after three days - and even before that he wasn't really dead. It says he went to hell. WTF? The more I read the story the more it sounds like fiction, fiction, fiction (just like the other religions).

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +257/-7
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #333 on: October 05, 2013, 06:49:37 AM »

That's what I feel every time someone starts to discuss high physics. Um quantum this and Dark matter that. I just don't get it. I am also very suspicious of physics that isn't immediately demonstrable. Dark Matter seems eerily similar to Ether theory to me. A particle of the gaps.
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Offline Angus and Alexis

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
« Reply #334 on: October 05, 2013, 07:33:40 AM »

-Nam

I do recall this being true, as there is a ridiculous amount of the little plants.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +297/-82
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #335 on: October 05, 2013, 08:04:14 AM »

That's what I feel every time someone starts to discuss high physics. Um quantum this and Dark matter that. I just don't get it. I am also very suspicious of physics that isn't immediately demonstrable. Dark Matter seems eerily similar to Ether theory to me. A particle of the gaps.

Geek (cough) geek.

;)

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline William

• Fellow
  • Darwins +92/-2
« Reply #336 on: October 06, 2013, 08:08:58 AM »
Many parents would give their lives to save their kids. I know I would be willing to face death to save my child-- or anyone's child.

The difference is that with Jesus it was far more serious business - God's feelings where really badly hurt when that piece of fruit went missing ....  :o
Git mit uns

Offline Angus and Alexis

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
« Reply #337 on: October 06, 2013, 08:10:48 AM »
Many parents would give their lives to save their kids. I know I would be willing to face death to save my child-- or anyone's child.

The difference is that with Jesus it was far more serious business - God's feelings where really badly hurt when that piece of fruit went missing ....  :o

In fact, that fruit was the cause of all bad...9_6

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +810/-5
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #338 on: October 06, 2013, 12:49:44 PM »
Hitler and Stalin and Mao--each of whom inflicted untold suffering on millions of people-- can accept Jesus at the last minute and gain entry into heaven. But peace-niks like Gandhi, Ang San Suu Kyi, and the Dalai Lama all go to hell, because they were not Christians.....WTF?
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline Angus and Alexis

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
« Reply #339 on: October 06, 2013, 11:34:07 PM »
Hitler and Stalin and Mao--each of whom inflicted untold suffering on millions of people-- can accept Jesus at the last minute and gain entry into heaven. But peace-niks like Gandhi, Ang San Suu Kyi, and the Dalai Lama all go to hell, because they were not Christians.....WTF?

The redemption card in all its glory.