Author Topic: Aliens movie by James Cameron.  (Read 1520 times)

Offline Angus and Alexis

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
  • Residential Tulpamancer.
Aliens movie by James Cameron.
« on: October 07, 2013, 03:52:01 AM »
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090605/

Easily one of the best sci-fi movies in existence, with many movies drawing aspiration from its unique features.

From "Gameover man, gameover!" to "LETS ROCK!!!", the movie has immensely famous quotes, being used in games such as Call of duty (Terrible game..) to Fallout 3.

Any opinions on this masterpiece from the 80's?
Rule 1: No pooftas. Rule 2: No maltreating the theists, IF, anyone is watching. Rule 3: No pooftas. Rule 4: I do not want to see anyone NOT drinking after light out. Rule 5: No pooftas. Rule 6: There is NO...rule 6.

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +308/-82
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: Aliens movie by James Cameron.
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2013, 03:35:00 PM »
Inspiration not aspiration. I think Alien (ridley scott) is deemed better, or perhaps equated.

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline mrbiscoop

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +31/-2
  • Faith is not a virtue!
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2013, 05:18:02 PM »
Alien- Sci-fi/Horror
Aliens - Sci-fi/Action-adventure
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
              -Emo Philips

Offline wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +77/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2013, 06:06:13 PM »
Aliens is great; an example of how to do a sequel not just right but brilliantly. But the original Alien remains superior in mood, atmosphere and acting.

Comparing the two is a bit problematic, as mrbiscoop points out. They're virtually different genres.
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline Angus and Alexis

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2013, 10:47:43 PM »
Aliens is great; an example of how to do a sequel not just right but brilliantly. But the original Alien remains superior in mood, atmosphere and acting.

Comparing the two is a bit problematic, as mrbiscoop points out. They're virtually different genres.

Indeed they are different genres, but Aliens is still one of the best sci-fi movies in existence.
Rule 1: No pooftas. Rule 2: No maltreating the theists, IF, anyone is watching. Rule 3: No pooftas. Rule 4: I do not want to see anyone NOT drinking after light out. Rule 5: No pooftas. Rule 6: There is NO...rule 6.

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +308/-82
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2013, 10:53:47 PM »
In the Scifi/Horror genre, I really enjoyed Pandorum.

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline Angus and Alexis

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2013, 11:42:34 PM »
What i love the most about Aliens, is how some of my favorite WW2 weapons (M1 thompson and MG42 machinegun) were used to make up the M41a pulse rifle and M56 Smartgun.

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +408/-5
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2013, 07:03:11 AM »

Indeed they are different genres, but Aliens is still one of the best sci-fi movies in existence.

Aliens is probably better compared to Starship Troopers for content, and in that comparison I think ST is a better film - but its like asking whether Prost or Senna was the better driver, they were both bloody good.
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?

Offline Angus and Alexis

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2013, 07:06:45 AM »
Starship Troopers (the first one) was bloody great, the props and plot was simply above par.

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +408/-5
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2013, 07:12:41 AM »
Just wondering - did you ever read the original novel?  Miles away from the film, but just as good in its own way - I think you'd like it.  In fact, I think you'd enjoy pretty much all of Robert Heinlein's work.
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.

Online screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +658/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2013, 07:48:24 AM »
Loved Alien and Aliens.

There was a low budget student movie made in 1974 called Dark Star It was directed by John Carpenter before he got famous and he and Dan O'Bannon wrote it.  Who is Dan O'Bannon?  They guy that wrote Alien. (he also directed Return of the Living Dead)

The central story in Dark Star - a demolishing crew on a spaceship (they blow up planets) have a smart bomb go awry and attempt to detonate itself while still aboard.  The first mate (captain died and is frozen in suspension) has to use a brain-in-a-jar existential argument to talk the smart bomb out of detonating. 

Meanwhile on board, Sgt Pinback (O'Bannon) has lost his pet alien.  It is a painted beach ball with feet.  It gets into the ducts and he has to go in search for it.  These scenes are replicated almost exactly in Alien. 

It is a great film and it contains many themes that Carpenter and O'Bannon explore throughout their careers.  Any serious fan of the genre should see Dark Star.

edit Don --> Dan
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 11:13:08 AM by screwtape »
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +408/-5
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2013, 09:26:21 AM »
You know, I was thinking Dark Star - clearly some of it relates to Hal in 2001, but equally a lot of it predates Alien.

I think my favourite parallel is the knife scene....

In Aliens, Bishop does "that thing with the knife" where he stabs between his and Hudson's fingers at blisering speed, (almost) without causing any damage.

In Dark Star, one of the characters is trying the same trick, but desperately slowly - one stab every 2 seconds or so.  And on about the fifth stab, he sticks it right through his hand.  Brilliant!

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +308/-82
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2013, 09:55:06 AM »
Loved Alien and Aliens.

There was a low budget student movie made in 1974 called Dark Star It was directed by John Carpenter before he got famous and he and Don O'Bannon wrote it.  Who is Don O'Bannon?  They guy that wrote Alien. (he also directed Return of the Living Dead)

The central story in Dark Star - a demolishing crew on a spaceship (they blow up planets) have a smart bomb go awry and attempt to detonate itself while still aboard.  The first mate (captain died and is frozen in suspension) has to use a brain-in-a-jar existential argument to talk the smart bomb out of detonating. 

Meanwhile on board, Sgt Pinback (O'Bannon) has lost his pet alien.  It is a painted beach ball with feet.  It gets into the ducts and he has to go in search for it.  These scenes are replicated almost exactly in Alien. 

It is a great film and it contains many themes that Carpenter and O'Bannon explore throughout their careers.  Any serious fan of the genre should see Dark Star.

I read a story (in an old archive website of science fiction, mainly prior to 1920 at...some Uni, I forget which[1] but it was a story about a guy, in space, stuck in a spaceship or star base, something, and the computer had control, and he attempted to outsmart the computer to gain control.

I remember my father telling me the same story when me and my brother was a kid (before 1983 because my sister wasn't born yet), and I researched for years to find it. Found similar stories but never knew if I ever found the right one.

I did write the one down prior to 1920 but I don't know where I wrote it down. I lose things, forget things...anyway...I have been thinking perhaps the story originated before 1900 and perhaps not in Science fiction.

I don't know.

-Nam
 1. I read a lot of novels, poetry, short stories, essays from several Universities--they have some of the least read works out there; Michigan, Cornell, and Oxford are the three I most frequent

Online screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +658/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2013, 11:38:34 AM »
Some good reviews of Dark Star at rotten tomatoes
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/dark_star/

another here:
http://www.denofgeek.us/movies/17618/looking-back-at-john-carpenter’s-dark-star

Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +77/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2013, 02:48:13 AM »
Oh yes, Dark Star; another underappreciated classic!

Just wondering - did you ever read the original novel?  Miles away from the film, but just as good in its own way - I think you'd like it.  In fact, I think you'd enjoy pretty much all of Robert Heinlein's work.

Yeah, despite it's somewhat heavy-handed paternalism, Heinlein's novel was enjoyable. The movie adaptation was rather a disappointment for me, in completely writing out the idea of powered armor that was central to Heinlein's concept of the Mobile Infantry.
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +408/-5
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2013, 06:51:59 AM »
Yeah, despite it's somewhat heavy-handed paternalism, Heinlein's novel was enjoyable. The movie adaptation was rather a disappointment for me, in completely writing out the idea of powered armor that was central to Heinlein's concept of the Mobile Infantry.

Bizarrely, despite being a big Heinlein fan, I managed to see the film before reading the book (it was one of about 5 I hadn't tracked down) so I didn't have that problem.  The animated series is a bit more book-like, and in the miniatures game you actually had Cougar and Grizzly suits which were FAR closer to the book.

To be honest, I don't really equate the book and the film at all - same general backstory and characters, but miles away in tone and style.  I like 'em both, for different reasons.

Online screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +658/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2013, 08:15:28 AM »

I've read the novel about 5 times.  Love it.  I even have the vintage, out of print board game from the 70s.[1]  Though it was well done, I was disappointed with the movie.  I wanted power armor and I wanted arachnid technology.  I also wanted Skinnies.

But Clancy Brown was in it (he's awesome) and so was Denise Richards (prior to being fouled by Charlie Sheen), so it wasn't all bad.  I was a little shocked by the graphic violence and disappointed with the guy who brought his 8 year old and 6 of his friends to see it.

1. https://www.msu.edu/user/storto/sst.htm
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +408/-5
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2013, 08:23:26 AM »
I even have the vintage, out of print board game from the 70s.

Me too.  Someday I hope to find the time to play it!

My collection of Mongoose's Arachnids and Troopers runs to several thousand points each side.

Offline Mrjason

• Reader
  • Darwins +89/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2013, 08:34:12 AM »

But Clancy Brown was in it (he's awesome) and so was Denise Richards (prior to being fouled by Charlie Sheen)

Don't forget Doogie Howser MD was in it as well!

Using Mazzy Star in the sound track (bar fight scene) also got it a big thumbs up from me

Online screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +658/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2013, 08:42:33 AM »
Using Mazzy Star in the sound track (bar fight scene) also got it a big thumbs up from me

?  I missed that.  I really like Mazzy Star, but don't remember that scene...
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline Mrjason

• Reader
  • Darwins +89/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2013, 08:47:08 AM »

Offline pianodwarf

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +208/-6
  • Je bois ton lait frappé
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2013, 11:43:20 AM »

Easy to overlook a background soundtrack, considering Denise Richards was there.

Mazzy Star is one of my faves as well.  When I recently heard that they were going on tour and that one of their stops was going to be at a venue only about a mile from where I live, I was really psyched.  I'm definitely looking forward to seeing them next month.
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Offline Mrjason

• Reader
  • Darwins +89/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2013, 06:02:47 AM »

Easy to overlook a background soundtrack, considering Denise Richards was there.

Mazzy Star is one of my faves as well.  When I recently heard that they were going on tour and that one of their stops was going to be at a venue only about a mile from where I live, I was really psyched.  I'm definitely looking forward to seeing them next month.

I recognised Hope Sandoval's beautiful voice straight away, despite being exposed to Denise Richards beautiful face at the same time.  :D

She Hangs Brightly is still one of my all time favourite albums.
I didn't know they were touring again, I'm seriously jealous that you're gonna get to see them!

Offline Angus and Alexis

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2013, 07:38:58 AM »
Who here loved the scene in Aliens where Private Hudson swears excessively, even though he is being dragged by an alien to his death?

Offline pianodwarf

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +208/-6
  • Je bois ton lait frappé
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2013, 08:55:06 AM »
I recognised Hope Sandoval's beautiful voice straight away

I wouldn't have at the time -- I didn't know Mazzy Star back then.  Actually, the only way I found out about them was shortly after I had had FiOS installed and was going thru the hundreds of channels to see what they all were, and I stumbled across a music station that was playing "Fade Into You".  I liked it but didn't think anything more of it until a few months later when I heard "Into Dust" being used in the commercial for Gears of War and thought to myself, "Hey, that sounds like the same woman from that thing I saw... I like her voice."  So I did some searches and ended up becoming a fan.

despite being exposed to Denise Richards beautiful face at the same time.  :D

Ah.  Multitasking.  Useful.

I didn't know they were touring again

I only heard about it myself about two months ago or so.

I'm seriously jealous that you're gonna get to see them!

Well, hey, don't sit around being jealous.  Check their tour schedule and see whether you're lucking out on a locale yourself!
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Offline Mrjason

• Reader
  • Darwins +89/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2013, 07:21:08 AM »
Well, hey, don't sit around being jealous.  Check their tour schedule and see whether you're lucking out on a locale yourself!

No dates in the UK. Bad times  :(

Offline godzilla

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2014, 08:21:37 PM »
One of my favorite movies of all time!