Author Topic: A Long Walk to Water - Linda Sue Park  (Read 410 times)

Offline shnozzola

A Long Walk to Water - Linda Sue Park
« on: October 06, 2013, 11:21:26 AM »
I read this short book this morning and thought it worth sharing.  Interestingly, youtube has the entire reading of the book on a series of videos:

It is the story of water from the viewpoint of Sudan in northern Africa.  How important it was, it is, and it will be.  We in the west tend to let it run down the drain while we brush our teeth, and still many places in the world drink it from bacteria infested mud puddles because it is so scarce.

A nonprofit in southeastern Pennsylvania, The Stroud, is obsessed with teaching the world how important it is for us all to reconsider water.

http://www.stroudcenter.org/

Possibly, like Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid, and now The Affordable Care Act, conservatives will fight tooth and nail society's pooling our resources in the future to fund desalination plants when fresh water becomes scarce enough to make economic change necessary.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 11:23:48 AM by shnozzola »
“I wanna go ice fishing on Europa, and see if something swims up to the camera lens and licks it.”- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +298/-82
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: A Long Walk to Water - Linda Sue Park
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2013, 11:32:35 AM »
"reconsider water"? Is that what you mean, or "conserve"? I haven't drank just water in 6 or 7 years. And since I have allergies to most soaps, and anything used to shave with, I save there too.

I'm doing my part.

;)

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline shnozzola

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2013, 11:41:38 AM »
Conserve is what I mean, Nam, thank you for that.  And I post this to remind myself to not waste water.
“I wanna go ice fishing on Europa, and see if something swims up to the camera lens and licks it.”- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2013, 03:45:31 PM »
Next 100 years or less water is going to be as big of a fight among world powers as oil is today.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +298/-82
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2013, 05:15:41 PM »
Earth has plenty of water--that's drinkable, that's another story.

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey