0 (0%)
Flutter shy.
0 (0%)
Rarity.
0 (0%)
Queen Chrysalis. (The changeling)
1 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Author Topic: Tulpae real or not? (Poll)  (Read 1423 times)

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +284/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
Re: Tulpae real or not? (Poll)
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2013, 08:51:30 AM »
It is an opinion based poll, if "No" is your answer, then so be it.

<snip>
I stand by what jdawg70 said.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline Angus and Alexis

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
  • Residential Tulpamancer.
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2013, 08:54:36 AM »
Then this poll is no different than "Do farbots multigate strageo?  Yes, no, maybe"

Clearly the answer is "no", because flugul woople magle.

You stated the answer would be "No".
Although, i believe rammastan fargle wooble...yes...
Rule 1: No pooftas. Rule 2: No maltreating the theists, IF, anyone is watching. Rule 3: No pooftas. Rule 4: I do not want to see anyone NOT drinking after light out. Rule 5: No pooftas. Rule 6: There is NO...rule 6.

Offline jynnan tonnix

• Reader
  • Darwins +87/-1
« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2013, 08:59:39 AM »
The problem is that the "reality" of tulpae is directly dependent on how one defines "reality". And since it is your poll, you need to let us know what that is, otherwise there is no answer. It might be "yes" in one case, "no" in another, and even "maybe" depends on one's definition of "maybe"...it might mean, "my mind is not made up", or it might mean "yes in the case of one definition, no in the case of another".

That is why you are not getting takers for your poll.

What do you hope to gain by our answers?

Offline Angus and Alexis

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2013, 09:03:31 AM »
The problem is that the "reality" of tulpae is directly dependent on how one defines "reality". And since it is your poll, you need to let us know what that is, otherwise there is no answer. It might be "yes" in one case, "no" in another, and even "maybe" depends on one's definition of "maybe"...it might mean, "my mind is not made up", or it might mean "yes in the case of one definition, no in the case of another".

That is why you are not getting takers for your poll.

What do you hope to gain by our answers?

*Brain aneurysm*

Okay...
Real: Being or occurring in fact or actuality.

Rule 1: No pooftas. Rule 2: No maltreating the theists, IF, anyone is watching. Rule 3: No pooftas. Rule 4: I do not want to see anyone NOT drinking after light out. Rule 5: No pooftas. Rule 6: There is NO...rule 6.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +655/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2013, 09:38:11 AM »
I don't think the poll question is complete.  I think you need to talk a little bit about what it "real" means and what "existence" is. 

We had a thread here started by an ardent (militant?) atheist entitled "God is imaginary".  He made an argument that imaginary things do exist because they have an impact on physical things by virtue of our actions.  So, fictitious characters - like gods and tulpae - do exist, just not in the way religious people - and tulpae fans - think.

Similarly, member Hermes frequently asked theists how god exists.  He would talk about different kinds of existence.  for example:
The word "exists" in "God exists" is possibly one or more of the following;

Concepts exist.
Emotions exist.
Inanimate objects exists.
Living non-human creatures exist.
Living humans exist.

So, all these things exist and are real, but not in the same ways.  If you asked Hermes and a theist if god exists, they would both say "yes".  But their meanings would be vastly different.  On the one hand theists would say god exists as an invisible, incorporeal being of great power, kind of like a living human exists, only more.  But Hermes might say god exists as a concept or emotion, dependent on human minds, not an actual being capable of autonomy.

To get back to the OP, I believe tulpae exist, just not in the same way as you and not in the way you mean in the poll.  I think they are essentially fictional characters people have invented in their minds, like imaginary friends, but have no more sentience or autonomy than characters in movies or books.  They are mental models of other personalities. 

Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline Angus and Alexis

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2013, 09:47:10 AM »
I don't think the poll question is complete.  I think you need to talk a little bit about what it "real" means and what "existence" is. 

I gave the definition of "real".
The question is also a closed question, so its rather straight forward...

I find it odd that people are saying yes and no, but there is only 4 votes in the poll 9_9.

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +284/-37
« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2013, 09:51:03 AM »
Then this poll is no different than "Do farbots multigate strageo?  Yes, no, maybe"

Clearly the answer is "no", because flugul woople magle.

You stated the answer would be "No".
Although, i believe rammastan fargle wooble...yes...

(For a second there, I thought you had misspelled "Rammstein")
Yes, but flarple mooslet parp.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

Offline Angus and Alexis

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2013, 09:52:48 AM »
(For a second there, I thought you had misspelled "Rammstein")
Yes, but flarple mooslet parp.

Heretic, everyone knows plorp estens hardlet garble!

Online Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +269/-31
« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2013, 10:09:45 AM »
So you find that fiction equals reality?
Then click yes then.

You're the one who wrote the question, containing the word "real".  The definition of "real" within this poll is one that you have the responsibility of setting, for the purpose of the poll.

This is something that you ought to control for if you wish to have your poll results mean anything whatsoever.
The highest moral human authority is copied by our Gandhi neurons through observation.

Online Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +269/-31
« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2013, 10:13:40 AM »
I gave the definition of "real". ...

No, you did not.  Not in a way that is relevant to the issues people have brought up so far.  Is this thread just a practical joke on the forum membership?  Seems that way.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 10:17:10 AM by Azdgari »
The highest moral human authority is copied by our Gandhi neurons through observation.

Offline Angus and Alexis

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2013, 10:19:42 AM »
Real: defined as "Being or occurring in fact or actuality".

How is that not a definition O.o.

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +284/-37
« Reply #40 on: October 04, 2013, 10:23:18 AM »
Real: defined as "Being or occurring in fact or actuality".

How is that not a definition O.o.

Like my smite said, that's as ambiguous as saying "real". It's a non-definition.
We choose our own gods.

Offline jynnan tonnix

• Reader
  • Darwins +87/-1
« Reply #41 on: October 04, 2013, 10:23:52 AM »
Reread Screwtape's reply (#33). I think he has explained it best. Far better than my attempts.

Online Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +269/-31
« Reply #42 on: October 04, 2013, 10:27:22 AM »
It's far, far too vague, a fact that you should realize if you've put any thought into reading anyone's posts in this thread so far.  Darth Vader and my computer both occur in fact or actuality.  Just in different ways.

A thread asking "Is Darth Vader real?" would need to specify what sense of reality it's asking about, otherwise it would get answers of both "yes" and "no" from people with the same beliefs regarding Darth Vader, but with different interpretations of the question.  That destroys the integrity of any data obtained, because you won't be able to, for example, tell how many of the "yes" votes are from people who believe Darth Vader to physically exist as a real person, and how many of the "yes" votes are from people who believe he exists as a literary figure.

I find it very hard to believe that you do not yet understand this problem, given the number of times it has come up as a topic since you've started posting here.  Your playing dumb in this thread lends credence to the "practical joke on forum membership" hypothesis.

Offline Angus and Alexis

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
« Reply #43 on: October 04, 2013, 10:29:05 AM »
Okay...

Real: Defined as "Something that exists in some form or another in the universe"...
Does this work...

Online Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +269/-31
« Reply #44 on: October 04, 2013, 10:32:43 AM »
Your dogged determination not to differentiate between subjective mental existence and objective physical existence[1] in your question reflects poorly on your sincerity.
 1. Let alone the nuances within those categories

Offline Angus and Alexis

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
« Reply #45 on: October 04, 2013, 10:33:56 AM »
Your dogged determination not to differentiate between subjective mental existence and external physical existence in your question reflects poorly on your sincerity.

What do you mean?
You asked for a definition, and i gave you one to use.
So do tulpae exist or not?

I really do not want to start an argument here.

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +284/-37
« Reply #46 on: October 04, 2013, 10:35:51 AM »
Okay...

Real: Defined as "Something that exists in some form or another in the universe"...
Does this work...

By that definition, everything exists. Try again.
I'm close to calling this one, but that doesn't mean I shouldn't have some fun in the meantime.
We choose our own gods.

Offline jynnan tonnix

• Reader
  • Darwins +87/-1
« Reply #47 on: October 04, 2013, 10:37:51 AM »
It doesn't work if what you are trying to determine is what the members of this forum actually believe.

Again, what is your aim in asking this question? Your parameters are far too broad to make any answer we give meaningful. What if everyone said "yes" under this definition? Would you be any closer to knowing what we actually think?

Offline Angus and Alexis

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
« Reply #48 on: October 04, 2013, 10:39:42 AM »
I'm close to calling this one, but that doesn't mean I shouldn't have some fun in the meantime.

What O_o?

I don't quite get whats going on here though...
Do you believe tulpae are real or not?
I cannot put it any simpler.

Scratch that, just click "No" if you do not get the question...

Again, what is your aim in asking this question? Your parameters are far too broad to make any answer we give meaningful. What if everyone said "yes" under this definition? Would you be any closer to knowing what we actually think?

No particular point, just a random question of insignificance.

Due to lack of progress, the question now asks who is the best pony.
Choose wisely...
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 10:48:08 AM by Angus and Alexis »

Offline jdawg70

• Reader
  • Darwins +355/-8
  • Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #49 on: October 04, 2013, 10:54:56 AM »
I don't quite get whats going on here though...
Do you believe tulpae are real or not?
I cannot put it any simpler.
Fine.  It's simple.  Now make it less vague, damn it.
No particular point, just a random question of insignificance.

Due to lack of progress, the question now asks who is the best pony.
Choose wisely...
Perhaps the lack of progress is a result in your lack of sincerity in giving any shit about the question and subsequent answers.
"When we landed on the moon, that was the point where god should have come up and said 'hello'. Because if you invent some creatures, put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, you f**king turn up and say 'well done'."
- Eddie Izzard

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +284/-37
« Reply #50 on: October 04, 2013, 10:55:41 AM »
I'm calling it. OP is a troll. I advise everyone to stop wasting their time.
We choose our own gods.

Offline Angus and Alexis

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
« Reply #51 on: October 04, 2013, 10:58:13 AM »
Perhaps the lack of progress is a result in your lack of sincerity in giving any shit about the question and subsequent answers.

Personally is do not care about the answers, and thus i made the question fool proof...

But anyway, who is indeed the best pony?

I'm calling it. OP is a troll. I advise everyone to stop wasting their time.

I assure you I am not a troll (Heck, im trying to get rid of one from a blog...).
I'm just.... :| ...annoyingly bad at social skills?

Online Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +269/-31
« Reply #52 on: October 04, 2013, 11:13:01 AM »
Personally is do not care about the answers, and thus i made the question fool proof...

If you do not care about the answers to this poll, then neither should any people who might otherwise have voted in it.

/thread, killed by you

Offline Angus and Alexis

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
« Reply #53 on: October 04, 2013, 11:14:35 AM »

If you do not care about the answers to this poll, then neither should any people who might otherwise have voted in it.

/thread, killed by you

I guess I really should have cared more about this thread...

That aside, who IS the best pony?

Edit: Surely there must be at-least ONE brony here O.o.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 11:25:27 AM by Angus and Alexis »

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +655/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #54 on: October 04, 2013, 11:35:29 AM »
There are no bronies here.  And if there are, they are smart enough to not let on.

I'm disappointed you started a thread and a poll you didn't actually care about.  Please don't do that in the future.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.