0 (0%)
Flutter shy.
0 (0%)
Rarity.
0 (0%)
Queen Chrysalis. (The changeling)
1 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Author Topic: Tulpae real or not? (Poll)  (Read 1829 times)

Offline Angus and Alexis

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
  • Residential Tulpamancer.
Tulpae real or not? (Poll)
« on: October 04, 2013, 05:53:47 AM »
I return again for another go at this infamous topic, a basic poll this time.

The options are as simple as they seem, yes, no and maybe.

Rule 1: No pooftas. Rule 2: No maltreating the theists, IF, anyone is watching. Rule 3: No pooftas. Rule 4: I do not want to see anyone NOT drinking after light out. Rule 5: No pooftas. Rule 6: There is NO...rule 6.

Offline Mrjason

• Reader
  • Darwins +97/-2
  • WWGHA Member
Re: Tulpae real or not? (Poll)
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2013, 06:18:32 AM »
Here's an article on whether abstract concepts, in this case numbers, exist. Have a read, it might answer your poll question :)

http://www.math.hawaii.edu/~lee/exist.html

Offline Angus and Alexis

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2013, 06:22:23 AM »
Here's an article on whether abstract concepts, in this case numbers, exist. Have a read, it might answer your poll question :)

http://www.math.hawaii.edu/~lee/exist.html

Wait...what?

The poll question is based more so on opinions of the people answering...
Rule 1: No pooftas. Rule 2: No maltreating the theists, IF, anyone is watching. Rule 3: No pooftas. Rule 4: I do not want to see anyone NOT drinking after light out. Rule 5: No pooftas. Rule 6: There is NO...rule 6.

Offline Dante

• Reader
  • Darwins +75/-9
  • Hedonist Extraordinaire
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2013, 06:42:23 AM »
Wait...what?

The poll question is based more so on opinions of the people answering...

Reality doesn't depend on opinions, nor your feelings.
Actually it doesn't. One could conceivably be all-powerful but not exceptionally intelligent.

Offline Angus and Alexis

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2013, 06:44:04 AM »

Does that imply that if you post a "Is god real?" poll on a theist site, god becomes real?... &)

Offline Dante

• Reader
  • Darwins +75/-9
  • Hedonist Extraordinaire
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2013, 06:51:14 AM »

Does that imply that if you post a "Is god real?" poll on a theist site, god becomes real?... &)

No. It implies that one's opinions don't mean shit in the face of reality.

But, since you brought it up, your tulpae have no more evidence for their existence than do gods, so they can be dismissed as fiction just as easily. And all the wishful thinking in the world does nothing to change that.
Actually it doesn't. One could conceivably be all-powerful but not exceptionally intelligent.

Offline Angus and Alexis

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2013, 06:56:17 AM »

Indeed opinions are nothing, but polls still use opinions and preference.
Otherwise political "polls" would be blatantly obvious, and not the stupidly complex things they are today.

But, since you brought it up, your tulpae have no more evidence for their existence than do gods, so they can be dismissed as fiction just as easily. And all the wishful thinking in the world does nothing to change that.

Then click that "No" option friend. ;D

Offline Mrjason

• Reader
  • Darwins +97/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2013, 07:04:26 AM »

Indeed opinions are nothing, but polls still use opinions and preference.
Otherwise political "polls" would be blatantly obvious, and not the stupidly complex things they are today.

This isn't a poll on opinion though it's poll on the nature of reality, you might as well have set up a poll asking whether chickens are real for all of the difference it will make  ;)

Offline Angus and Alexis

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2013, 07:07:49 AM »
This isn't a poll on opinion though it's poll on the nature of reality, you might as well have set up a poll asking whether chickens are real for all of the difference it will make  ;)

The poll question is simple, are tulpae real or not?

If i asked this on the tulpa forums, i would likely get a heap ton of "yes".

Likewise, here i would expect "no".

It does not matter on reality, sure, the answer may or may not be wrong, but the choice is up to the person clicking the answer.

It may also not be important what so ever, but i digress...

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +408/-5
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2013, 07:24:15 AM »

To be fair, the poll question is "Do you believe tulpae are real, or not?", so it is a poll relating to people's opinions. 
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?

Offline Angus and Alexis

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2013, 07:25:52 AM »
To be fair, the poll question is "Do you believe tulpae are real, or not?", so it is a poll relating to people's opinions.

Exactly ;D.

Offline Mrjason

• Reader
  • Darwins +97/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2013, 07:29:36 AM »

So it does. My mistake, I only read the header and the OP. Still not gonna vote though.

Offline Angus and Alexis

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2013, 07:35:33 AM »
So it does. My mistake, I only read the header and the OP. Still not gonna vote though.

You know "no" is one of the options, right? O.o

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2013, 07:45:34 AM »
Angus-

Based on the multi-page discussion that you have going already on this topic, do you think you have found any Tulpae believers on this forum? 

May I ask what you hope to accomplish by conducting this poll?

And also, how much time do you invest in interacting with real people?  Not forum members or your tulpa.

I'm kind of finding myself feeling that you are just really lonely, and perhaps having trouble making human connections, so you have created this elaborate fantasy to occupy yourself.  And then you come to an atheist forum, and rather than engaging in the topics that are important to most members here, you insist on talking about your tulpa, over and over and over again. 

You see, when you are interacting with real people, (even online) you are likely to have a more meaningful connection if you find an area of common interest.  I'm kind of guessing that this is something that you are having trouble doing in your life.  (And please correct me if I am wrong.)   But it seems that you are trying to get attention in a really non-productive way on this forum.  And you may do that in your real life interactions as well, which is perhaps the reason that you decided to create your tulpa. And then, for some odd reason, you create a tulpa who has inexplicably different interests from your own.  She likes fire and you like water.  This to me, is really telling.  You've created this artificial divide, and yet you are still the best of buddies.  Could it be that this is what you want to do with real people, in your real life?  Because we all have differences, and our differences often give us interesting things to talk about. But usually, after we have already established a common set of interests.

You are clearly a smart, creative guy.  But I have to admit, I'm kind of worried about you.  If this tulpa thing is sort of a rehearsal for starting to develop strong human friendships, I suppose it is a sort of interesting exercise.  But I really hope that you try  to move on to the next step soon.

Is there anything other than tulpas that you are interested in talking about?   

Offline Angus and Alexis

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2013, 08:03:19 AM »
Based on the multi-page discussion that you have going already on this topic, do you think you have found any Tulpae believers on this forum? 

Hmm, i not believe so.

May I ask what you hope to accomplish by conducting this poll?

Nothing in particular, just basic statistics.

And also, how much time do you invest in interacting with real people?  Not forum members or your tulpa.

With my friends?...Well, a lot of them live rather far away, so its hard to see them in person all the time, we often chat on skype.

I'm kind of finding myself feeling that you are just really lonely, and perhaps having trouble making human connections, so you have created this elaborate fantasy to occupy yourself.  And then you come to an atheist forum, and rather than engaging in the topics that are important to most members here, you insist on talking about your tulpa, over and over and over again. 

Indeed, i am rather lonely at times, i am very finicky with my friends, only top notch will suffice ;D.
I know the topic of tulpae is off-topic (hence this is in the off-topic section), and i will probably post more tulpa related topics, but live and let live, no?

You see, when you are interacting with real people, (even online) you are likely to have a more meaningful connection if you find an area of common interest. 

Of course, but in order to know what connections you have, you must investigate ;D.

I'm kind of guessing that this is something that you are having trouble doing in your life.  (And please correct me if I am wrong.)

You are indeed wrong, i know what connections i have with others, its just that there are very few to start with xD.

But it seems that you are trying to get attention in a really non-productive way on this forum.

I would say the same thing, but ehh, i'm enjoying the questions and opinions.

And you may do that in your real life interactions as well, which is perhaps the reason that you decided to create your tulpa.

Must disagree here, i do not do so with people.

And then, for some odd reason, you create a tulpa who has inexplicably different interests from your own.  She likes fire and you like water.  This to me, is really telling.  You've created this artificial divide, and yet you are still the best of buddies. 

Actually, i created Alexis with the fear of fire, ironically, she does not fear it. (I'm not bullshitting either, i can even post the personality sheet i made for her.)

Could it be that this is what you want to do with real people, in your real life?  Because we all have differences, and our differences often give us interesting things to talk about. But usually, after we have already established a common set of interests.

No, i like having friends i can connect with, although if i had a friend who i could light on fire, that would be cool. (Heheh, get it?...Cool...)

You are clearly a smart, creative guy.  But I have to admit, I'm kind of worried about you.  If this tulpa thing is sort of a rehearsal for starting to develop strong human friendships, I suppose it is a sort of interesting exercise.  But I really hope that you try  to move on to the next step soon.

If there is one thing i have learnt about most people (well, modern day teenagers near my age), about 99.9% of them are assholes, there is no dismissing this.
Sadly, those .01% of actually nice people are rather hard to come by.
Of course Alexis cannot replace an actual friend, but she helps, a bit...

Is there anything other than tulpas that you are interested in talking about?   

Fishing, weapons, explosives, My little pony, Aliens (the movie), video games, movies, evolution, religion, people, Australia, deadly animals, warhammer 40k, paintball, BB guns, sci fi technology, lasers-

Offline jynnan tonnix

• Reader
  • Darwins +88/-1
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2013, 08:06:51 AM »
I think the problem with this question is that in a case like this, it's hard to define what "real" is. If tulpamancy is, in effect, a self-induced delusion, even of true multiple-personality or schizophrenic proportions, the entities conjured up might not be "real" in the sense that they exist as entities in their own right, but are very real in the effects they produce on their host's mind and, sometimes, in resulting behavior, which, unfortunately might, very occasionally, engender real carnage...

In this sort of case, the line between an entity's actual, independent existence and the level of reality it produces within the host's mind is sort of moot, because while, let's say, the voices telling him to go blow up a school would be imperceptible on any other level, to any other person, he does, indeed hear them in a very real, tangible way. Those voices are nothing but products of a chemically imbalanced mind, but they are, for all intents and purposes, real. They exist, and they can cause very real effects.

I know this is a pretty convoluted post. I'm trying to explain what I am thinking, but I'm not sure it's working out.
Another cup of coffee might be helpful, but I need to get going on some other things.

Edited to stress that I'm not saying Angus or Alexis are threats to society, but just trying to figure out where a line can be drawn as to the reality of things that might not really exist outside of the mind.

« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 08:10:05 AM by jynnan tonnix »

Offline Angus and Alexis

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2013, 08:08:53 AM »
I think the problem with this question is that in a case like this, it's hard to define what "real" is. If tulpamancy is, in effect, a self-induced delusion, even of true multiple-personality or schizophrenic proportions, the entities conjured up might not be "real" in the sense that they exist as entities in their own right, but are very real in the effects they produce on their host's mind and, sometimes, in resulting behavior, which, unfortunately might, very occasionally, engender real carnage...

The question is opinion based, from what you know, are tulpae real or not, the answer is hilariously simple.

Offline jynnan tonnix

• Reader
  • Darwins +88/-1
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2013, 08:15:48 AM »
I don't think the answer is as simple as you might think...there can be a lot of subtleties in delusion. Fiction can take on a life of its own, and cults based upon fiction, for example, can be very real, making the fiction, in effect, part of real life. I think your tulpamancy might fall into this sort of category.

Offline Angus and Alexis

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2013, 08:19:13 AM »
I don't think the answer is as simple as you might think...there can be a lot of subtleties in delusion. Fiction can take on a life of its own, and cults based upon fiction, for example, can be very real, making the fiction, in effect, part of real life. I think your tulpamancy might fall into this sort of category.

So you find that fiction equals reality?
Then click yes then.

Offline hickdive

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +32/-0
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2013, 08:27:59 AM »
What do you mean by 'real'?

In the sense that they are detectable by people other than their creator?

In the sense that you genuinely experience interactions with yours?

In the latter case then yes, I am prepared to believe that you do actually experience yours in that way. However, that is in much the same way that a christian experiences a "relationship with jesus".

In the former case, no they are not real.

Stupidity, unlike intelligence, has no limits.

Offline Angus and Alexis

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2013, 08:30:12 AM »
What do you mean by 'real'?

In the sense that they are detectable by people other than their creator?

In the sense that you genuinely experience interactions with yours?

In the latter case then yes, I am prepared to believe that you do actually experience yours in that way. However, that is in much the same way that a christian experiences a "relationship with jesus".

In the former case, no they are not real.

The poll is entirely opinion based, no strings attached, yes, no, or maybe.

Offline jdawg70

• Reader
  • Darwins +412/-8
  • Ex-rosary squad
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2013, 08:32:29 AM »
The poll is entirely opinion based, no strings attached, yes, no, or maybe.
Unfortunately, that means the numbers for 'yes', 'no', and 'maybe' in the poll are entirely meaningless.
"When we landed on the moon, that was the point where god should have come up and said 'hello'. Because if you invent some creatures, put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, you f**king turn up and say 'well done'."

- Eddie Izzard

http://deepaksducttape.wordpress.com/

Offline Angus and Alexis

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2013, 08:36:07 AM »
Unfortunately, that means the numbers for 'yes', 'no', and 'maybe' in the poll are entirely meaningless.

Never stated they were, did i? ;P

Offline jdawg70

• Reader
  • Darwins +412/-8
  • Ex-rosary squad
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2013, 08:44:36 AM »

Never stated they were, did i? ;P
Then this poll is no different than "Do farbots multigate strageo?  Yes, no, maybe"
"When we landed on the moon, that was the point where god should have come up and said 'hello'. Because if you invent some creatures, put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, you f**king turn up and say 'well done'."

- Eddie Izzard

http://deepaksducttape.wordpress.com/

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +294/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2013, 08:45:39 AM »
Define "real".
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken/Lucifer/All In One/Orion.

Offline Angus and Alexis

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2013, 08:46:44 AM »

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +294/-37
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2013, 08:46:59 AM »
Then this poll is no different than "Do farbots multigate strageo?  Yes, no, maybe"

Clearly the answer is "no", because flugul woople magle.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +294/-37
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2013, 08:47:48 AM »
You tell me.

It's your poll. You're the one who has to define the term if you want an honest and relevant answer. Otherwise, I stand by what jdawg70 said.
We choose our own gods.

Offline Angus and Alexis

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2013, 08:49:04 AM »
It's your poll. You're the one who has to define the term if you want an honest and relevant answer. Otherwise, I stand by what jdawg70 said.

It is an opinion based poll, if "No" is your answer, then so be it.