Author Topic: Has Anyone asked a Christian What State we will go to Heaven?  (Read 639 times)

Offline anthony_retford

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +1/-0
Has Anyone asked a Christian What State we will go to Heaven?
« on: October 08, 2013, 10:44:37 PM »
I am just curious if anyone has asked a Christian what physical state he or she will be when they enter heaven. I mean by this question whether an infant will be an infant, or a 95-year-old, riddled with cancer, will also be in the same condition.

I don't believe Xtians have given much thought to this but I could be wrong. What is your input?
People are 'erroneously confident' in their knowledge and underestimate the odds that their information or beliefs will be proved wrong. They tend to seek additional information in ways that confirm what they already believe.
Max Bazenman, Harvard University

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +185/-8
Re: Has Anyone asked a Christian What State we will go to Heaven?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2013, 10:54:37 PM »
I don't remember where I heard this but once one of them said everyone would be 25 yrs old.  Don't know why 25?  God only knows.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2013, 11:34:58 PM »
I don't remember where I heard this but once one of them said everyone would be 25 yrs old.  Don't know why 25?  God only knows.

What if they died before they turned 25? And is that in Earth years or Heaven years? ;)

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +892/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2013, 12:20:55 AM »
Good question.

We are supposed to be in spirit form, perfect with no pain or anything. Would that mean we would all be exactly the same like the Borg? Would we still have our memories of life on earth? Will we remember what food tasted like, what music sounded like, what it felt like to have sex, to give birth, to go swimming or ice skating?

What happens to children who spent most of their lives in pain due to illness and then died at say age 10? Are they a 10 year old spirit forever? And if their personality was largely formed based on dealing with pain and illness, what kind of personality will the spirit have?

Likewise, we have wondered here what happens to people who spent years with alzheimers or dementia. Or people who were schizophrenic all their lives, were autistic or had Down syndrome. Or babies who died at birth. Fetuses aborted at 6 weeks. What kind of personality will their spirit have?

What about people with multiple personalities? Which one gets to go to heaven?

If there are twins, will their immortal souls look alike too?  :?
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2013, 12:36:27 AM »
Only Mormons go to Heaven. South Park told me so.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Offline wheels5894

• Fellow
  • Darwins +110/-1
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2013, 03:38:48 AM »
Well, Paul wrote that people would not be off to heaven in their physical bodies but would have new spirit bodies instead. One would wonder what age a person would be on entering heaven but that would not be very helpful in a place where, we are told, there is no time (eternity). In such a place one could not age by definition.

Of course, this is mere speculation  by Paul who, obviously, did not know what would happen after people died any more than we do. he used what he heard about Jesus' teaching and extrapolated but extrapolation doesn't mean what is derived is real. I think Paul is using his hope to make people feel better, and coincidentally keep them in his churches and paying. Until we have some evidence to go on, however, we have to view any ideas of a heaven as the result of hope and longing and not as any actual reality.

Oddly, the people who believe in the Rapture seem to think they will be taken up into heaven as physical bodies though I am not clear if they take their clothes as well. However, daft as the idea is, it also lacks significant support in the bible so looks like another product of hope over reason.
No testimony is sufficient to establish a miracle, unless the testimony be of such that its falshood would be more miraculous than the facts it endeavours to establish. (David Hume)

Offline William

• Fellow
  • Darwins +92/-2
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2013, 04:29:38 AM »
Likewise, we have wondered here what happens to people who spent years with alzheimers or dementia.

From what I can gather being in heaven must be like an advanced case of Alzheimer's - can't remember shit and everyone you meet is new  :blank:
Git mit uns

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +534/-19
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2013, 06:01:14 AM »
Well, Paul wrote that people would not be off to heaven in their physical bodies but would have new spirit bodies instead

I bet we all end up looking like Iron Age peasants from Judea.
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Offline Foxy Freedom

• Reader
  • Darwins +97/-12
  • Why is it so difficult to say you don't know?
    • Foxy Freedom on Doctor Who
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2013, 08:14:49 AM »
Well, Paul wrote that people would not be off to heaven in their physical bodies but would have new spirit bodies instead. One would wonder what age a person would be on entering heaven but that would not be very helpful in a place where, we are told, there is no time (eternity). In such a place one could not age by definition.

Of course, this is mere speculation  by Paul who, obviously, did not know what would happen after people died any more than we do. he used what he heard about Jesus' teaching and extrapolated but extrapolation doesn't mean what is derived is real. I think Paul is using his hope to make people feel better, and coincidentally keep them in his churches and paying. Until we have some evidence to go on, however, we have to view any ideas of a heaven as the result of hope and longing and not as any actual reality.

Oddly, the people who believe in the Rapture seem to think they will be taken up into heaven as physical bodies though I am not clear if they take their clothes as well. However, daft as the idea is, it also lacks significant support in the bible so looks like another product of hope over reason.

Wheels. This is what Paul says, corinthians 15:42 "so it will be with the resurrection of the dead" "it is sown a natural body, it is raised a spiritual body."

The idea that people have a spirit which goes to heaven immediately at death, was only borrowed later, from other religions as Christianity spread out. For example the ancient Greeks had a belief that an individual spirit continued to exist after death.

They obviously borrowed this belief because the resurrection was taking longer than expected and they did not like the idea of being dead for a long time.
Neither Foxy Freedom nor any associates can be reached via WWGHA. Their official antitheist website is http://the6antitheist6guide6.blogspot.co.uk

The 2nd edition of the free ebook Devil or Delusion ? The danger of Christianity to Democracy Freedom and Science.       http://t.co/2d1KcJ9V

Offline jdawg70

• Reader
  • Darwins +375/-8
  • Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2013, 09:40:57 AM »
Those that subscribe to the idea of the physical rapture are also inclined to be in the same camp that views nudity as 'icky', so I'm guessing that they are taken up in appropriate attire.
"When we landed on the moon, that was the point where god should have come up and said 'hello'. Because if you invent some creatures, put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, you f**king turn up and say 'well done'."

- Eddie Izzard

http://deepaksducttape.wordpress.com/

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +185/-8
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2013, 04:12:01 PM »
I'm thinking Nebraska.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +892/-6
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2013, 05:47:57 PM »
Those that subscribe to the idea of the physical rapture are also inclined to be in the same camp that views nudity as 'icky', so I'm guessing that they are taken up in appropriate attire.

What if the rapture happens when they are in the shower, on the toilet or Thor forbid, having sex? I can imagine a lot of raptureans being shocked to see their pastor floating up to heaven with his right hand on a computer mouse and his left on his..... :angel:

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2013, 05:56:42 PM »
A while back I posted a video of a 16 year old Ecuadorian girl who was taken by Jesus and given an extensive guided tour of heaven and hell, and then sent back to earth to let us know about what awaits us in the afterlife. 

She said that in heaven, everyone was 15 years old.   Not sure about hell.

But 15 for all of eternity?  Does that suck, or what?

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +892/-6
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2013, 06:02:56 PM »
In hell everyone is 13.  :P

Online Aaron123

• Fellow
  • Darwins +77/-1
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2013, 01:23:58 AM »
What if you were "that awkward kid" at 15?  That would suck, having that "awkward kid" look for eternalty.   :o
Being a Christian, I've made my decision. That decision offers no compromise; therefore, I'm closed to anything else.

Online hickdive

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +32/-0
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2013, 05:04:27 AM »
Albania.
Stupidity, unlike intelligence, has no limits.

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2013, 08:55:20 AM »
In hell, everyone is Nam.

Bwahahaha!!!

-Nam

Offline Dr H

• Student
  • Darwins +14/-0
  • Irritant
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2013, 07:15:11 PM »

Bwahahaha!!!

-Nam

A scarey thought, for sure, but it can't be true.

Otherwise, I wouldn't be here now.  ;)
Dr H

"I have nothing to say and I am saying it and that is poetry."
                                                           -- John Cage

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2013, 07:37:22 PM »

Bwahahaha!!!

-Nam

A scarey thought, for sure, but it can't be true.

Otherwise, I wouldn't be here now.  ;)

That's what you're lead to believe: everything's normal but in reality, everyone is Nam.

It's like a bad creepy horror story, and in the end, when you die again you're resurrected as NAM AGAIN!

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-Nam