Author Topic: Fresh Air interview with Harvard evolutionary biologist  (Read 631 times)

Offline shnozzola

Fresh Air interview with Harvard evolutionary biologist
« on: September 30, 2013, 04:11:02 PM »
Interesting Daniel Lieberman interview about such things as a antibiotics possibly causing peanut allergies, or why hunter gathers would not have had diabetes type II.

DANIEL LIEBERMAN: Well, many people wonder how their bodies function today, and what's the relationship between how our bodies evolved and how we use them and how we get sick. And a key premise of the book is that many of the illnesses that we confront today are what evolutionary biologists call mismatch diseases. I didn't come up with the term. It's been around for a while.

http://www.npr.org/2013/09/30/227777434/how-our-stone-age-bodies-struggle-to-stay-healthy-in-modern-times
“The best thing for being sad," replied Merlin, beginning to puff and blow, "is to learn something."  ~ T. H. White
  The real holy trinity:  onion, celery, and bell pepper ~  all Cajun Chefs

Offline jaimehlers

• Fellow
  • Darwins +546/-14
  • WWGHA Member
Re: Fresh Air interview with Harvard evolutionary biologist
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 04:44:19 PM »
Thus, learning martial arts (and other ways to relieve stress) is important to modern health.

Today, I got caught in a traffic jam (not a normal occurrence for me).  I was getting more and more agitated until I pulled off and took a detour.  I didn't feel instantly better, but...you get the point, I'm sure.

Offline median

• Reader
  • Darwins +201/-16
  • Yahweh: Obviously not obvious.
    • Talk Origins
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2013, 11:33:34 AM »
Cool article. I'm going to start exercising more and eating less sugar!
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. Carl Sagan

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +268/-31
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2013, 11:59:16 AM »
Odd that he'd assume chronic stress didn't happen in pre-agricultural societies.  Social stress is long-term and applies to any group.
The highest moral human authority is copied by our Gandhi neurons through observation.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +298/-82
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2013, 08:20:00 PM »
I'm going to start eating more sugar and exercising less.

Wait...that ain't right.

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline wheels5894

• Reader
  • Darwins +106/-1
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2013, 03:29:09 PM »
Odd that he'd assume chronic stress didn't happen in pre-agricultural societies.  Social stress is long-term and applies to any group.

You'd also think that in such societies the difficulties at some times of the year of getting enough (or any) food would be pretty stressful.  It's only with agriculture that a stock of food can be built up to take people over the winter.
No testimony is sufficient to establish a miracle, unless the testimony be of such that its falshood would be more miraculous than the facts it endeavours to establish. (David Hume)

Offline Boots

• Reader
  • Darwins +95/-0
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2013, 10:28:54 AM »
Thus, learning martial arts (and other ways to relieve stress) is important to modern health.

Gichen Funakoshi, founder of Shotokan (what most people would call "karate") always practiced when he was feeling a bit ill--and he never actually got sick!

I can't verify that this is factually true, but it's a good (and credible) enough lesson that I still espouse it as if it is fact.  :-)
* Religion: institutionalized superstition, period.

"Many of my ultra-conservative Republican friends...have trouble accepting the idea God is not a Republican. " ~OldChurchGuy

"We humans may never figure out the truth, but I prefer trying to find it over pretending we know it."  ~ParkingPlaces

Offline median

• Reader
  • Darwins +201/-16
  • Yahweh: Obviously not obvious.
    • Talk Origins
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2013, 01:35:20 PM »
Lots of spicy food helps me too!
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. Carl Sagan