Author Topic: News flash: climate change, and it's OUR FAULT!!!  (Read 1382 times)

Offline Foxy Freedom

• Reader
  • Darwins +96/-11
  • Why is it so difficult to say you don't know?
    • Foxy Freedom on Doctor Who
Re: News flash: climate change, and it's OUR FAULT!!!
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2013, 02:20:13 PM »
Nam is sort of like a very bad tempered lion to me - fun to watch, but I really don't want to be the target of his temper.

Christiani ad leonem ! That means send the Christians to the lions.
Neither Foxy Freedom nor any associates can be reached via WWGHA. Their official antitheist website is http://the6antitheist6guide6.blogspot.co.uk

The 2nd edition of the free ebook Devil or Delusion ? The danger of Christianity to Democracy Freedom and Science.       http://t.co/2d1KcJ9V

Online nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +852/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2013, 02:42:44 PM »
Hey Nam! Look over here!

I'm wearing my magical mystical spiritual Mitt Romney brand underoos and everything! Step away from the Jag.....unless you want me to get you two a room...
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +308/-82
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2013, 02:44:52 PM »
Who needs a room...

;)

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +183/-7
  • Official WWGHA Harpy, Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2013, 04:08:18 PM »
^^^Whatever you do, don't tell my boyfriend. He has no sense of humor about stuff like this.

No Prob.  Just send me his email address so I can not tell him right away.

You can reach him at thingswedontsharewithjagsboyfriend(@)bsemail.com
My tolerance for BS is limited, and I use up most of it IRL.

Offline Truth OT

• Reader
  • Darwins +88/-7
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2013, 04:35:47 PM »
Climate change is constant, we get that. Most scientists believe that humans have had an added impact over the last century, that's pretty clear, BUT; What's the point of arguing about it either way? According to the scientists it appears that we can do nothing to reverse the effects and by what is it, 2050, the average temporature will be a couple degrees higher which will likely lead to increased sea levels, food production shortages, coastal errosion, etc. In light of that, would it not behoove us to squash our beefs and focus on adapting the what the new reality will likely be on this rock while at the same time doubling down on our efforts to find ways to live and survive away from this rock with its finite resources and ever increasing human population that seems to blindly eppect our standard of living to keep increasing asymptotically towards infinity without some much as a hickup getting in the way? 

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +308/-82
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2013, 04:51:22 PM »
^what a way to get back on topic. Spoiler.

;)

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Online nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +852/-6
« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2013, 05:51:10 PM »
Climate change is constant, we get that. Most scientists believe that humans have had an added impact over the last century, that's pretty clear, BUT; What's the point of arguing about it either way? According to the scientists it appears that we can do nothing to reverse the effects and by what is it, 2050, the average temporature will be a couple degrees higher which will likely lead to increased sea levels, food production shortages, coastal errosion, etc. In light of that, would it not behoove us to squash our beefs and focus on adapting the what the new reality will likely be on this rock while at the same time doubling down on our efforts to find ways to live and survive away from this rock with its finite resources and ever increasing human population that seems to blindly eppect our standard of living to keep increasing asymptotically towards infinity without some much as a hickup getting in the way?

The only positive (very tiny positive) thing about this scenario is the chance to say, while beating scavengers away from our stash of clean water and canned goods, "We told you this was real!"

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2013, 05:56:44 PM »

...Will someone distract Nam please? Say something stupid! Anyone? Please?

I like him too.  &)
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +308/-82
« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2013, 07:01:52 PM »

...Will someone distract Nam please? Say something stupid! Anyone? Please?

I like him too.  &)

You know, I found over the years that more girls like me than guys. 9 out of 10 of my friends offline are female.

I guess women just are able to put up with more than guys, or they're just into "bad boys".

:P

-Nam

Online screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +658/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2013, 08:10:00 AM »
would it not behoove us to squash our beefs and focus on adapting the what the new reality will likely be on this rock

There will be no adapting. We will die. Climate change is not just slightly warmer weather and somewhat higher seas.  Warmer waters - and oceans without polar ice - do not circulate the same way.  Without circulation, oxygen does not get below the surface.  The ocean turns anaerobic, sea life dies off and the oceans become populated by bacteria. 

The good news: it fixes itself.  The bacteria capture the carbon in their bodies, and reverse the greenhouse atmosphere.  The planet cools, ice caps return, the ocean water starts circulating, oxygen is reintroduced.  The bacteria dies and falls to the ocean floor.  We know this because this is what happened 300 million years ago.  It is how oil was formed in the first place. 

The bad news: it takes 150,000 years for the bacterial/ ocean cycle to happen. Assuming you don't have monkeys burning more oil.  And after that, there will only be a sliver of the biodiversity present prior.  Last time it took, like, 10 million years to recover.

More bad news: this also does not take into consideration other things, like the effects of acidification of the oceans. 

So, we die.  This is the big scary thing everyone is staring at but isn't saying.  We die.

http://www.lighthouse-foundation.org/index.php?id=107&L=1
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/07/130702141506.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permian%E2%80%93Triassic_extinction_event
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/10/04/1243700/-The-Oceans-are-Dying-Oxygen-is-Depleting-Acidity-Rising-at-Fastest-Rate-in-300-000-000-Years
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline Tero

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +18/-5
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2013, 10:14:25 AM »
I don't see complete destruction. Human population will collapse, but a few million will survive with simple technology. Metals and mining will be problematic. Move to an area that has big iron. That is what vikings used.

Carbon energy will stay, as trees and cattle dung.

Online nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +852/-6
« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2013, 10:42:20 AM »
Way to harsh our mellow, screw. :(

But what you say is true. Once the ocean goes, we all go. It's the circulatory system of the planet.

Offline Mrjason

• Reader
  • Darwins +89/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2013, 11:12:09 AM »
<snip>And after that, there will only be a sliver of the biodiversity present prior.  Last time it took, like, 10 million years to recover.

So all will be well again just in time for the sun to cremate what ever has evolved after this disaster. Sucks to be them  :P

Online nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +852/-6
« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2013, 03:13:09 PM »
Who is going to be the lucky bastard who gets to tell poor people in the third world that life is about to get even harder for them?

More wars fought over diminishing crop land and resources. Less water. More drought to kill crops, so less food. Fewer wild animals to hunt. Less fish in the ocean. More flooding to wash away coastal villages. Islands and beaches will disappear, along with the tourist income. More hurricanes. More diseases and germ-carrying vermin. More illegal migration to escape, and harsher policies towards immigrants. More demands on strapped governments to deal with all this.

Because god loves them allsooooo much.... :P