4 (11.1%)
AB+
3 (8.3%)
AB-
0 (0%)
Unsure
8 (22.2%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Author Topic: Blood groups - pure curiosity  (Read 2534 times)

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +354/-85
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: Blood groups - pure curiosity
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2013, 04:43:31 PM »
I never give blood because I get super dizzy and tired.  I have pretty low blood pressure naturally, not sure if it is related.  I also have AB+ blood, which I think is pretty much the least useful kind in a blood bank (like no one but someone else with AB+ could use it, and there arent' a lot of us)  so I use that to assuage my conscience...

When I was young (younger than 11, don't remember exact age) I had to go to this place outside Miami so they could remove a shitload of my blood. Apparently, my doctor said I had too much blood, or something. What I do remember is them starting on my right arm, then 6+ hours later they started on my left.

I've given enough of my blood to last three lifetimes. It ain't ever happening again.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Online jynnan tonnix

• Reader
  • Darwins +93/-1
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2013, 09:39:43 PM »
Since we lived in Scotland for a couple of years, and were not vegetarians, no one in my family can donate blood here in the USA to this day. Something about mad cow disease. Even my younger son, who was only 4 months old when we moved away (and 22 years old now) is still not permitted to donate because of what he might have been exposed to in utero. Seems a bit excessive, but what do I know?

Offline Boots

• Reader
  • Darwins +101/-0
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2013, 09:52:52 PM »
I'm A Pos.  My dad is AB neg, but it figures that I get the most common possible blood type from his rarest...

I used to donate platelets regularly.  I was a gold mine of those buggers; gave almost double the normal amount in 75% of the normal time.  They had to specially calibrate the machines to accommodate me!  Maybe I should start doing that again, now that my kids are older and easier to "deal with"...
It's one of the reasons I'm an atheist today.  I decided to take my religion seriously, and that's when it started to fall apart for me.
~jdawg70

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +940/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2013, 10:13:28 PM »
I never give blood because I get super dizzy and tired.  I have pretty low blood pressure naturally, not sure if it is related.  I also have AB+ blood, which I think is pretty much the least useful kind in a blood bank (like no one but someone else with AB+ could use it, and there arent' a lot of us)  so I use that to assuage my conscience...

When I was young (younger than 11, don't remember exact age) I had to go to this place outside Miami so they could remove a shitload of my blood. Apparently, my doctor said I had too much blood, or something. What I do remember is them starting on my right arm, then 6+ hours later they started on my left.

I've given enough of my blood to last three lifetimes. It ain't ever happening again.

-Nam

My FIL had that condition, I think. Something like the opposite of anemia. They had to draw off a bunch of his blood regularly at a local blood bank. Then again, there was this guy who worked there who looked an awful lot like Robert Pattinson..... :o
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Online wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +83/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2013, 11:04:02 PM »
^^^You and Nam mentioning this condition made me curious, so I did a little searching. Viola...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erythrocytosis
The emergency treatment of polycythemia (e.g. in hyperviscosity or thrombosis) is by venesection, the removal of blood from the circulation. Depending on the underlying cause, venesection may also be used on a regular basis to reduce the red blood cell count.

Thanks; I learned something new.
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2013, 11:29:21 PM »
Who said Nam didn't have a heart?  He obviously has a very active one!  ;)
If xian hell really exists, the stench of the burning billions of us should be a constant, putrid reminder to the handful of heavenward xians how loving your god is.  - neopagan

Online wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +83/-1
« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2013, 01:02:17 PM »
Who said Nam didn't have a heart?  He obviously has a very active one!  ;)

More like overactive marrow. But that seems to be in his past, now  ;D
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline stuffin

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2013, 01:47:09 PM »
I'm a universal donor (O-) but I don't donate any more. After working in the hospital for 25 years and seeing the waste and unnecessary transfusions I made the decision to stop donating.
When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

Online wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +83/-1
« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2013, 09:52:12 PM »
^^^Your call of course, stuffin. I'm sad and a bit curious about the unnecessary waste you speak of. I'm not used to thinking of blood donation in that way. Could you elaborate?
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline Irish

• Fellow
  • Darwins +18/-0
  • Moraxella catarrhalis on BA
« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2013, 06:52:31 PM »
I know the blood hroups of both of my kids and did the Punnett square. But I've forgotten. AB I think. My wife is O.

If you are AB and your wife is O then your kids have to be type A and/or B.  If you have an AB or O child then the type of either you or your wife is off.
La scienze non ha nemici ma gli ignoranti.

Offline Irish

• Fellow
  • Darwins +18/-0
« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2013, 06:59:04 PM »
I also have AB+ blood, which I think is pretty much the least useful kind in a blood bank (like no one but someone else with AB+ could use it, and there arent' a lot of us)  so I use that to assuage my conscience...

Well not to guilt trip you into unnecessarily donating but type AB is the universal donor for plasma and platelets.  Type O is universal for red blood cells.  Plasma and platelet units are made from the whole blood that you donate at the blood donation center.

The reason AB blood isn't in high need is because type AB people can receive any of the four types: A, B, AB, or O.  So lets say you get into an accident and need blood but the hospital doesn't have any type AB.  The blood bank can set you up with type O, B, or A blood and you'll be just fine.  Lucky duck!

Offline Irish

• Fellow
  • Darwins +18/-0
« Reply #40 on: October 02, 2013, 07:02:26 PM »
AB+ which means that my blood is not much good to most people even though I could take most peoples' blood.

I have still given blood on a few occasions even though I never got to find out if they ever used it or not!!

Since type AB is the universal donor for plasma and platelet products I would almost guarantee someone received some product from you.

Offline Irish

• Fellow
  • Darwins +18/-0
« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2013, 07:10:44 PM »
^^^Your call of course, stuffin. I'm sad and a bit curious about the unnecessary waste you speak of. I'm not used to thinking of blood donation in that way. Could you elaborate?

I don't know about stuffin's exact case but blood, and blood products, like all things, has an expiration date.  From the day of collection blood units have to be transfused or thrown away within 35 or 42 days, depending on which preservative is used.  Plasma is good frozen for a year but once unfrozen it expires within 5 days.  Platelets expire in 5 days and cannot be frozen.

The one positive is that blood units that hold very rare blood types can be specially frozen for 10 years.  These aren't blood units with rare ABO/Rh types.  These are units of rare types of the other blood groups.

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +940/-6
« Reply #42 on: October 02, 2013, 08:00:45 PM »
Since I have B- blood, what kind did I get in my transfusion?

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #43 on: October 02, 2013, 08:12:18 PM »

You got gravy... mmmm
If xian hell really exists, the stench of the burning billions of us should be a constant, putrid reminder to the handful of heavenward xians how loving your god is.  - neopagan

Offline Irish

• Fellow
  • Darwins +18/-0
« Reply #44 on: October 02, 2013, 08:31:28 PM »

Depends on the circumstances but you either received B neg or O neg blood.

If the transfusion was from an emergency situation, say a car accident, the hospital may have transfused O neg blood until the blood bank determined your blood type and then they would have switched you to B neg.

But if it was a routine transfusion your type would have been determined well before and you would have received B neg only.

Online wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +83/-1
« Reply #45 on: October 02, 2013, 10:06:25 PM »
I don't know about stuffin's exact case but blood, and blood products, like all things, has an expiration date.  From the day of collection blood units have to be transfused or thrown away within 35 or 42 days, depending on which preservative is used.  Plasma is good frozen for a year but once unfrozen it expires within 5 days.  Platelets expire in 5 days and cannot be frozen.

The one positive is that blood units that hold very rare blood types can be specially frozen for 10 years.  These aren't blood units with rare ABO/Rh types.  These are units of rare types of the other blood groups.

Thanks for the info, Irish. I realize that there has to be some wastage, but the cliche "better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it," seems to apply to donated blood pretty well. stuffin seemed to be referring to something beyond that.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline stuffin

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #46 on: October 03, 2013, 09:53:29 AM »

Certainly could elaborate.

Transfused many patients who were going to die not matter what we did. I distinctly remember multiple transfusions of 90+ year old patients with terminal cancer ( many younger ones too). Patients who were bleeding out but there was no way to stop it, or they were inoperable, yet we pumped blood and plasma in them for days till they expired. Patients who were in  comas for long periods and needed tremedous maitnence just to keep them alive. These are just a just a few of what I remember.

I can understand the family’s needs and wishes in many of these instances, but the medical  personal (DOCTORS) could have done a better job of explaining and guiding the choices in many of these instances.

Please understand I'm a bit calloused/tainted by my experiences but that should not affect anyone who would like to donate.
When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

Online wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +83/-1
« Reply #47 on: October 03, 2013, 11:20:34 AM »
Thanks for the elaboration, stuffin. I certainly don't feel qualified to debate the merits of transfusing people who are probably in terminal condition.

And I'll probably donate again, if it turns out I qualify, for the sake of those do need it. If there's a significant chance I can help someone like Traveler or junebug that way at little cost to myself, then I consider it worthwhile.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +940/-6
« Reply #48 on: October 03, 2013, 02:56:00 PM »

Depends on the circumstances but you either received B neg or O neg blood.

If the transfusion was from an emergency situation, say a car accident, the hospital may have transfused O neg blood until the blood bank determined your blood type and then they would have switched you to B neg.

But if it was a routine transfusion your type would have been determined well before and you would have received B neg only.

It was not a sudden emergency; I had a high risk pregnancy and they recommended a transfusion after the cesarean. So it was B neg. It's funny to think about getting someone else's blood, like who was it and what are they like? I also have a cadaver graft in my foot-- somewhere there is an immortal soul limping around heaven or hell.... ;)

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #49 on: October 03, 2013, 03:06:02 PM »
^^^ I wrote a story in high school about all the tissue/organ donors hanging out in heaven with their missing parts.  Jeezus was upset with them for voluntarily handing out their perfectly good body parts and kept them in a separate part of heaven where they were just used for repairs on all the "whole xians" for all eternity.  Seems he had no issue "repairing" those who were killed or maimed, he just took offense at the ones who voluntarily gave pieces up. 

The teacher found the story amusing and actually gave me an "A" but told me I was being sacreligious... An early crack in my armor, I suppose?

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +354/-85
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #50 on: October 03, 2013, 05:29:13 PM »
I asked my mother what my blood type is, and she said, "U-". I was like, "Say, what?". She said, "Urinated. The negative sign denotes it being dirty."

:'(

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Offline Irish

• Fellow
  • Darwins +18/-0
« Reply #51 on: October 03, 2013, 10:53:19 PM »
I had a high risk pregnancy and they recommended a transfusion after the cesarean. So it was B neg.

Oh yeah then your type would have been known well before hand and the blood bank probably had multiple units waiting for you on the day of your surgery.

Offline Fiji

• Reader
  • Darwins +97/-2
« Reply #52 on: October 04, 2013, 12:58:12 AM »
This thread is actually a good reminder that we're all just biological machines that happen to be aware that we exist.
In Belgium organ donation is the default, you need to opt out if you don't want to end up in neopagan's maintenance section of heaven.
Doctors, however, often still wait for the ok from the next of kin ... out of concern for religious sensitivities ... bunch of dumbasses.
I myself have often stated that they can do whatever they want with my remains, I don't need them anymore ... just, not ... Körperwelten ... that just seems so wasteful.
Science: I'll believe it when I see it
Faith: I'll see it when I believe it

Schrodinger's thunderdome! One cat enters and one MIGHT leave!

Without life, god has no meaning.

Offline Irish

• Fellow
  • Darwins +18/-0
« Reply #53 on: October 04, 2013, 06:35:13 PM »
I myself have often stated that they can do whatever they want with my remains, I don't need them anymore

Same here.  As far as I'm concerned after I die you can transplant whatever organ, skin, or blood from me that's still in good shape.