Author Topic: Patriotism, Freedom and the Shutdown  (Read 563 times)

Offline DVZ3

• Reader
  • Darwins +41/-8
Patriotism, Freedom and the Shutdown
« on: October 05, 2013, 07:24:19 PM »

I'm always thinking about how easily many people are so quick to give thanks to our troops etc...  I mean I get but why is it the people who are the most religious always seem to be the "freedom" fighters and always so quick to say "Support our troops" and weirder "god bless" our troops.

One of the most important commandments says "Thou shall not kill"

This to me is probably the most important of the commandment and I'm not even religious.  But why is this so easily disregarded when it's for our so-called "freedom" and what makes this more important then what they believe in the first place which is "God Will"? 

It's obviously all just a bunch of hypocrisy when you think about it.  I suppose if god is imaginary you must take matters in your own hands sort of speak...

Anyways.... I bring this all up because I just can't help but think about all the religious and right-wing hypocrisy surrounding the reason why the government is shutdown in the first place.  The religious "freedom" fighter TEA party doesn't want the US government to provide healthcare for all Americans even if under the idea that the "haves" have to pay a bit more than the "have not's". 

I mean, I just don't get it (I do... but it's just so confusing and frustrating) how people who believe in the character jesus can believe that even he wouldn't want this for not only Americans but everyone on the planet.  But I understand that economics doesn't agree with even jesus's agenda no matter how humane it is....  I guess I'm just really disappointed in people right now reading a lot of the comments in the recent articles and even worst yet.... my mom's recent FB post as I must preface this with my mom and my stepdad don't have very much money to live on or savings. My stepdad has always done manual labor throughout his life (very hard and strenuous work to be sure) and has run into injuries in which he and my mom have received workman's compensation and unemployment....

I checked into health insurance yesterday because our plan ends at the of the year.  We are in deep trouble, it is absolutely unacceptable what we will have to pay.  Praying on what we are supposed to do. Thanks Obama, we are now stressed... oh and that's right can't even afford to be stressed... how do you sleep at night when the American people are being sickened to death....?????? !!!!!!!!!God, change his heart... only you CAN!

Anyways - I'm venting right now and my mind is scattered because I'm deeply saddened and disappointed in how they both think as my own mom's post is filled with so many logical failures, misinformation and bullshit. I want to respond because there other ignorant responses but I know I should just let it go.

How can you bitch about Obama and believe in this guy to answer all your prayers!?

It hurts most when it's your own family that is part of the problem abd there is no reasoning and/or communicating with them on any realistic level I suppose....  :-\
Hguols: "Its easier for me to believe that a God created everything...."

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +337/-85
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: Patriotism, Freedom and the Shutdown
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2013, 09:03:42 PM »
The dude in that picture is so gay. Not that's a bad thing...but so gay. I mean what kind of guy goes around making people happy and feel good yet never fucks the groupies? Well, a gay guy would, at least the male ones. So, I retract.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +798/-6
  • If you are religious, you are misconcepted
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2013, 10:06:18 PM »
I don't remember who to credit for this, but someone pointed out that a big problem we have in this country is that most members of congress are lawyers. And lawyers are never concerned with right and wrong, their interest is in winning. Five-hundred plus people in the house and senate who don't want to loose kind of ruins everything.

Toss in the 1%'ers who are paying the tea party to be a political force, and everything about everything sucks. Misinformation, distrust, hate, prejudice and righteousness. Singly each is bad. Together they are far worse.

The right takes the phrase "land of the free" a bit too literally. They proudly proclaim that this is the greatest country in the world, but they don't want to pay for any of it. What are they thinking? Or in this case, not thinking?

Nothing is trickling down, but a lot is sucking up. Including the tea baggers. People with a give-a-shit factor of zero shouldn't be so frickin' concerned about making policy. By definition, they don't care, so any outcome they pursue is bound to be useless to the rest of us.

When you combine political ignorance, social ignorance, moral ignorance, scientific ignorance and no sense of humor into one person or group, it gets plain ugly. And that's the good news. The bad news? They have guns too. And many of those folks are eager to use them.

It won't be a revolution I'd want to survive.

Jesus, the cracker flavored treat!

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +337/-85
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2013, 10:15:33 AM »
I think the percentage of those in Congress who are lawyers, is around 40%. I read that somewhere, I forget where, though.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +798/-6
  • If you are religious, you are misconcepted
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2013, 10:57:20 AM »
^^^ Turn out it is currently 43%. I guess the republicans have other ways to be stupid too. I retract 57% of my post.

Here is a great post from a congressman, Rep. Marlin Stutzman, R-Ind
"We’re not going to be disrespected. We have to get something out of this. And I don’t know what that even is."

My bold.

Its all over. Not only do they not know what they're doing, they don't know why either. I'm pretty sure it doesn't get any worse than that.

And they've gone from not being lawyers to being members of a street gang, where being dissed is the greatest crime of all. Crap.

Source: http://washingtonexaminer.com/gop-stands-firm-against-funding-bill-will-link-to-debt-ceiling-fight/article/2536750
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 10:58:54 AM by ParkingPlaces »
Jesus, the cracker flavored treat!

Offline DVZ3

• Reader
  • Darwins +41/-8
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2013, 11:44:01 AM »

Ok, so I couldn't help it as I had to respond.

"Mom and Papa John (yes I call my step dad papa John), your situation deeply saddens me and frustrates me and I wish there was an easy, simple and pragmatic solution that not only benefited you guys but everyone.  Also, yes, Obama is trying to make it so that all Americans have access to health insurance aka the ACA in which the "haves" have to pay a bit more than the "have nots" .

I think if god and the character  jesus were real not only would he be for healthcare for everyone in America he would want all human beings on the planet to have access but economics and country lines has a tough enough time trying to make it work for the people within the imaginary lines people drew in the sand sort of speak years ago - oh well.  Having said that it's hard to blame the guy in power for at least trying to make things better for the future than the idea that there is another power that supersedes everyone and everything but yet... I love you guys and you don't deserve to have to be stressed or worried - something will work out! Your loving son."
Hguols: "Its easier for me to believe that a God created everything...."

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +337/-85
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2013, 02:16:20 PM »
PP,

Yeah, Rachel Maddow had that quote on her show for two days.

It seems Republicans in Congress are in a gang, they are the Reds[1], and everyone else are the Blues, and no one will diss them.

-Nam
 1. isn't that the color of Commies? Weird

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +189/-8
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2013, 03:43:43 PM »
^^^ Turn out it is currently 43%. I guess the republicans have other ways to be stupid too. I retract 57% of my post.

Here is a great post from a congressman, Rep. Marlin Stutzman, R-Ind
"We’re not going to be disrespected. We have to get something out of this. And I don’t know what that even is."

My bold.

Its all over. Not only do they not know what they're doing, they don't know why either. I'm pretty sure it doesn't get any worse than that.

And they've gone from not being lawyers to being members of a street gang, where being dissed is the greatest crime of all. Crap.

Source: http://washingtonexaminer.com/gop-stands-firm-against-funding-bill-will-link-to-debt-ceiling-fight/article/2536750
The why is because there is a black man in office and they did not get their way in the 2012 election so they will force their way now.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +927/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2013, 07:02:11 PM »
Ahh, conservative republicans. They try to rig the elections with money and they still lose. They try to block people from voting in blue states and they still lose. The gerrymander the districts and they still lose. They petition the supreme court and they still lose.

When will they decide that maybe god is not on their side?  &)
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.