Author Topic: Atheist in TV Soap  (Read 656 times)

Offline Jonny-UK

• Graduate
  • Darwins +31/-0
  • WWGHA Member
Atheist in TV Soap
« on: September 27, 2013, 05:14:39 AM »
Just had to share this with you all.
Here in the UK Coronation Street is the longest running TV soap.
My wife and I both just looked at each other thinking WOW when this clip came on.
A moment of TV to be proud of.
Enjoy
"Do I look like someone who cares what god thinks" - pinhead

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
Re: Atheist in TV Soap
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2013, 09:08:18 AM »
That's wonderful on so very many levels. The first thing I noticed, is that it doesn't seem like a soap at all. Perhaps its not, by USA standards? The people and sets look perfectly normal, instead of perfectly, well, perfect. Of course having an atheist on there is cool too.  ;D
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2013, 10:51:11 AM »
Wow... US soaps are crap - that one actually had some substance to it.

If xian hell really exists, the stench of the burning billions of us should be a constant, putrid reminder to the handful of heavenward xians how loving your god is.  - neopagan

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2013, 11:38:10 AM »
Wow... US soaps are crap - that one actually had some substance to it.

Yes, definitely. I simply can NOT watch US soaps.
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +257/-7
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2013, 11:43:09 AM »
I have started to watch the series Monk; and the lead charachter is an atheist.

So we have three series in the US with expressly(or nearly so)Atheist lead Characters: Dexter, Monk, and House.....all of which are mental cases.

I wonder how Baptists would feel if they were given the same treatment?
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2013, 11:51:58 AM »
well, there is Trinity Broadcasting... they are all crazy
If xian hell really exists, the stench of the burning billions of us should be a constant, putrid reminder to the handful of heavenward xians how loving your god is.  - neopagan

Online Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +174/-6
  • Official WWGHA Harpy, Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2013, 11:57:34 AM »
@Hatter's post: Sheldon on Big Bang Theory - atheism isn't overt so much as implied, but he's also the least socially skilled character on the show. And there are lots of jokes about him not being crazy - "my mother had me tested".

Bones, on Bones also, and made absolutely clear too. That one in particular amuses me, as the show is on Fox and her atheism is not subtle. If the writers make her convert, I predict a HUGE public outcry. How can I be so confident of that? Because I'll start it, that's how!

But yeah, the flaws assigned to all the characters you reference irritate me as well. Generally, the atheist character is shown as being far above average in intelligence although that creates it's own set of issues too, as far as public perception goes.

We can't win  ;)
My tolerance for BS is limited, and I use up most of it IRL.

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2013, 12:01:36 PM »
even in the clip above, the character played a bit of the "angry atheist" role, and the poor xian was overwhelmed by his reaction.

Offline Jonny-UK

• Graduate
  • Darwins +31/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2013, 01:22:09 PM »
Coronation Street started in 1960. It has always been down to earth with characters people can actually relate too and I think that is the key to its longevity.
Roy Cropper is a very gentle character so it is even more shocking to see him actually get angry.
I do hope other programs take note and start to move away from religion being the accepted norm for the characters in them.
Bit of street history in case you are interested-
http://coronationstreet.wikia.com/wiki/History_of_Coronation_Street

One area that does balance the books a bit is comedy.Religion seems to be fair game now when at one time it just wasn't done. I cant help but suggest the following clip.
Please watch and enjoy (and see if you can resist singing the cheeky muslim song afterwards)
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 01:48:31 PM by Jonny-UK »

Online Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +174/-6
  • Official WWGHA Harpy, Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2013, 01:54:10 PM »
Check out Tim Minchin for some fabulous and hilarious observations. He's quite musical as well, and I catch myself absentmindedly humming or singing his songs pretty often.
My tolerance for BS is limited, and I use up most of it IRL.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +290/-80
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2013, 02:00:08 PM »

So we have three series in the US with expressly(or nearly so)Atheist lead Characters: Dexter, Monk, and House.....all of which are mental cases.

That's the way the Hays code had homosexuals portrayed when they ran Hollywood, or worse. So, in 40 or so years, atheists will be presented as normal people.

-Nam
This is my signature "Nam", don't I have nice typing skills?

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +257/-7
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2013, 08:42:02 AM »
I have started to watch the series Monk; and the lead character is an atheist.

That's the way the Hays code had homosexuals portrayed when they ran Hollywood, or worse. So, in 40 or so years, atheists will be presented as normal people.

-Nam

You mean after a brief period, of 4 or 5 years, about 32 years from now, when atheists are portrayed as angelic paragons of virtue without flaw in the theater. I mean, if the parallel holds ;)
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +124/-6
  • I'm Your Nurse, Not Your Waitress...
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2013, 11:09:48 AM »

Why should either group be stigmatized?  Mental cases or Atheists?  I never saw Dexter but Monk & House, (and Bones) were also exceptionally intelligent characters.  I think I brought something like this up in another thread once and was derided for comparing TV characters to real people.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 11:14:52 AM by LoriPinkAngel »
It doesn't make sense to let go of something you've had for so long.  But it also doesn't make sense to hold on when there's actually nothing there.

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +257/-7
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2013, 11:17:54 AM »

Why should either group be stigmatized?  Mental cases or Atheists?  I never saw Dexter but Monk & House, (and Bones) were also exceptionally intelligent characters.  I think I brought something like this up in another thread once and was derided for comparing TV characters to real people.

Mental cases...meaning having mental defects. that is not positive. If a certain group only shows up as nearly always being defective, that's a pretty clear bias against them.

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +124/-6
  • I'm Your Nurse, Not Your Waitress...
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2013, 11:34:14 AM »

Mental cases...meaning having mental defects. that is not positive. If a certain group only shows up as nearly always being defective, that's a pretty clear bias against them.

I like The Big Bang Theory but to be honest the whole show is certain groups being shown as defective in stereoptypical negative portrayals episode after episode.  Atheists, Academics, Jews, Hindus, Blondes, Texans, Phobics....
It doesn't make sense to let go of something you've had for so long.  But it also doesn't make sense to hold on when there's actually nothing there.

Offline Jontom10

• Graduate
  • Darwins +14/-0
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2013, 05:32:55 PM »
Check out Tim Minchin for some fabulous and hilarious observations. He's quite musical as well, and I catch myself absentmindedly humming or singing his songs pretty often.

I agree. Tim is brilliant.

I love the rant called Storm. Look it up. :)
Hasa Diga Eebowai

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +781/-4
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2013, 05:39:01 PM »

I like The Big Bang Theory but to be honest the whole show is certain groups being shown as defective in stereoptypical negative portrayals episode after episode.  Atheists, Academics, Jews, Hindus, Blondes, Texans, Phobics....

I watched the BBT show once and was turned off by the stereotypes and the laugh track. Sad what passes for intelligent humor these days. However, I enjoyed the Monk program, even with the atheist character being flawed.  :-\
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline Willie

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +68/-1
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2013, 10:19:54 PM »
One area that does balance the books a bit is comedy.Religion seems to be fair game now when at one time it just wasn't done. I cant help but suggest the following clip.

I'm not so sure about that, though I suppose it depends on how far back you go. Dave Allen used to pick on religion pretty ruthlessly back in the 70's.

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +781/-4
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2013, 01:01:43 PM »
^^^That was excellent!
"God was Jesus' daddy, but Jesus's mommy was not married to god, she was married to Joseph."
 Silence.
"Shut up!"
 ;D
That whole "married to Joseph but pregnant by god" mom of baby Jesus thing was confusing to me as a child as well. There was a girl on our block who had a baby and she was not married and I asked why everyone was not making a big fuss over her like they did about Mary. I never got a coherent answer. :P

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline Jonny-UK

• Graduate
  • Darwins +31/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2013, 06:19:59 AM »
Excellent video, really enjoyed that clip.
I think my point about religion and comedy was incorrect.
I should have said it seems too me that there is more comedy about religion coming from openly atheist comedians.
I think that is the difference I have noticed, Dave Allen mocks religion in that clip but does not go as far as too say it is untrue (although he may well do elsewhere).
Thanks again.

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +781/-4
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2013, 02:31:03 PM »
George Carlin always made fun of religion, even back in the 1970's. Today it seems more acceptable for even mainstream comics to poke gentle fun at religion in the US.

Offline wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +72/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2013, 06:29:55 PM »

I'm not so sure about that, though I suppose it depends on how far back you go. Dave Allen used to pick on religion pretty ruthlessly back in the 70's.

"In the name of the Father, the Son and into the hole he goes!"  :laugh:

Thanks, Willie!
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline Fiji

• Reader
  • Darwins +83/-2
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2013, 12:59:05 AM »
I suppose an equivalent of 'so you think you can dance' exists in the UK and the US, right? Sort of a 'got talent' thingy but with only dancing.
Right, it used to be mockery TV as we call it. Well, the first round anyway. People who danced worse than ... well, me, really, but thought themselves the bee's wax. And we'd all have a good laugh and that was it.
The last two seasons of the show, only tended to focus on the talented dancers, though the occasional rank amature did still make it onto the screen.
This year there was this girl ... three inch tall cross earrings ... a bible among her dance paraphernalia ... praying several times ... praying extra hard when she was aware the camera was near ... the works.
Just before her audition, she prays an extra showy prayer, camera right in her face, that god would pleasepleaseplease grant her a good audition.

She, for course, stank to high ... well ... heavens, I suppose. ;)
And she just couldn't figure out what she'd done wrong.

My daughter, still nominally a catholic, burst out laughing and said, "as if gods[1] would have time for that![2]"
 1. yes, godS, plural
 2. aha, she no longer just accepts the omni-max concept
Science: I'll believe it when I see it
Faith: I'll see it when I believe it

Schrodinger's thunderdome! One cat enters and one MIGHT leave!

Without life, god has no meaning.