Author Topic: "Without inhibitions, humans would be mindless beasts, slaves to impulses!"  (Read 185 times)

Online jaimehlers

• Fellow
  • Darwins +441/-11
  • WWGHA Member
Sound familiar?  I ran into someone on a webcomic forum who is actually advancing this simplistic line of reasoning (which basically echoes the "you need god for morality" argument), and I'm not willing to stand for it.

http://www.pixietrixcomix.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14828&p=484787#p484787

You might need an account to view the topic, though.
Worldviews:  Everyone has one, everyone believes them to be an accurate view of the world, and everyone ends up at least partially wrong.  However, some worldviews are stronger and well-supported, while others are so bizarre that they make no sense to anyone else.

Offline wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +70/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
Re: "Without inhibitions, humans would be mindless beasts, slaves to impulses!"
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2013, 10:41:01 PM »
No problem seeing that thread at my end, jaime.

Yeah, a pretty glib and silly thing to say. Even most social animals don't behave in the way dex draco thinks humans without inhibitions would. Not unless they're seriously ill / stressed, anyway. If our animal ancestors hadn't had their own learned and instinctual social behaviors to mitigate their immediate impulses, we wouldn't be here; replaced by some other species that did have better impulse control.
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Online jaimehlers

• Fellow
  • Darwins +441/-11
  • WWGHA Member
Re: "Without inhibitions, humans would be mindless beasts, slaves to impulses!"
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2013, 10:47:05 AM »
Pretty much.  His main problem is that he's conflated morals with inhibitions, even though they really aren't the same thing.  Morals are generally positive (such as, "I don't kill because I value life"), and inhibitions are generally negative (such as, "thou shalt not kill").  It's the same mistake a lot of religious people make - that unless you forbid behaviors, people will be deviant, immoral...pick your adjective.
Worldviews:  Everyone has one, everyone believes them to be an accurate view of the world, and everyone ends up at least partially wrong.  However, some worldviews are stronger and well-supported, while others are so bizarre that they make no sense to anyone else.