Author Topic: "Without inhibitions, humans would be mindless beasts, slaves to impulses!"  (Read 544 times)

Offline jaimehlers

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +1025/-25
  • WWGHA Member
Sound familiar?  I ran into someone on a webcomic forum who is actually advancing this simplistic line of reasoning (which basically echoes the "you need god for morality" argument), and I'm not willing to stand for it.

http://www.pixietrixcomix.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14828&p=484787#p484787

You might need an account to view the topic, though.
Nullus In Verba, aka "Take nobody's word for it!"  If you can't show it, then you don't know it.

Offline wright

• Fellow
  • Darwins +177/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
Re: "Without inhibitions, humans would be mindless beasts, slaves to impulses!"
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2013, 10:41:01 PM »
No problem seeing that thread at my end, jaime.

Yeah, a pretty glib and silly thing to say. Even most social animals don't behave in the way dex draco thinks humans without inhibitions would. Not unless they're seriously ill / stressed, anyway. If our animal ancestors hadn't had their own learned and instinctual social behaviors to mitigate their immediate impulses, we wouldn't be here; replaced by some other species that did have better impulse control.
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline jaimehlers

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +1025/-25
  • WWGHA Member
Re: "Without inhibitions, humans would be mindless beasts, slaves to impulses!"
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2013, 10:47:05 AM »
Pretty much.  His main problem is that he's conflated morals with inhibitions, even though they really aren't the same thing.  Morals are generally positive (such as, "I don't kill because I value life"), and inhibitions are generally negative (such as, "thou shalt not kill").  It's the same mistake a lot of religious people make - that unless you forbid behaviors, people will be deviant, immoral...pick your adjective.
Nullus In Verba, aka "Take nobody's word for it!"  If you can't show it, then you don't know it.