Author Topic: Atheist Curriculum for the Irish  (Read 405 times)

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +298/-82
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Atheist Curriculum for the Irish
« on: September 26, 2013, 12:31:44 PM »
http://theguardian.com/world/2013/sep/26/atheism-to-be-taught-irish-schoolchildren
Atheism to be taught to Irish schoolchildren

Up to 16,000 primary-school pupils in non-denominational sector will get tuition in atheism, while the rest will be offered courses on the internet and on smartphone apps.

In a historic move that will cheer Richard Dawkins, atheists in Ireland have secured the right to teach the republic's primary schoolchildren that God doesn't exist.

The first ever atheist curriculum for thousands of primary-school pupils in Ireland has been drawn up by Atheist Ireland in an education system that the Catholic church hierarchy has traditionally dominated.

The class of September 2014 will be reading texts such as Dawkins' The Magic of Reality, his book aimed at children, as well as other material at four different primary levels, according to Atheist Ireland.

Up to 16,000 primary schoolchildren who attend the fast-growing non-denominational Irish school sector will receive direct tuition on atheism as part of their basic introduction course to ethics and belief systems.

But Michael Nugent, Atheist Ireland's co-founder, stressed that all primary-school pupils, including the 93% of the population who attend schools run by the Catholic church, can access their atheism course on the internet and by downloading an app on smartphones. He said these would be advertised and offered to all parents with children at primary schools in the state.

"There will be a module of 10 classes of between 30 to 40 minutes from the ages of four upwards. It is necessary because the Irish education system has for too long been totally biased in favour of religious indoctrination. And if parents whose kids are in schools under church control want to opt their kids out of learning religion (as is their right these days) then they can use our course as an alternative for their children to study," he said.

Nugent added: "Religion isn't even taught properly as an objective subject with various religions and their origins examined and explained. The teaching is to create faith formation first, not objective education. We see our course as a chance for young Irish children to get an alternative view on how the world works."

Jane Donnelly, a member of Atheist Ireland and a parent of two children in an Irish secondary school, welcomed the creation of an atheism alternative for Irish pupils.

"I opted my two girls out of religious education classes and they were told to go to the library and find a philosophy book to read during RE instead. The range of philosophy books was very limited so I sent them into school each day with a copy of Richard Dawkins' The God Delusion for them to read."

Religion, education and the Irish Republic
• God is omnipresent in the 1937 Irish constitution, with article 6.1 stating: "All powers of government, legislative, executive and judicial, derive, under God, from the people"; and article 44.1 noting: "The State acknowledges that the homage of public worship is due to Almighty God. It shall hold His Name in reverence, and shall respect and honour religion."

• Since the foundation of the republic, the Catholic church controls up to 93% of the state's 3,200 primary schools.

• The Catholic church's near monopoly of influence in education means that the ultimate power in each school is the local Catholic bishop.

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
Re: Atheist Curriculum for the Irish
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2013, 01:00:11 PM »
pianodwarf is in Ireland for a few weeks... coincidence?  :)
If xian hell really exists, the stench of the burning billions of us should be a constant, putrid reminder to the handful of heavenward xians how loving your god is.  - neopagan

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +298/-82
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2013, 01:03:28 PM »
pianodwarf is in Ireland for a few weeks... coincidence?  :)

I THINK NOT!

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2013, 01:09:03 PM »
Can you imagine if that was even proposed here in he states?
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +298/-82
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2013, 01:14:01 PM »

I could believe it being proposed but not going anywhere, at least nationally.

-Nam

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +257/-7
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2013, 01:15:02 PM »
Still, seems a shame you need to teach atheism. Just don't teach religion or let religion influence textbooks. No, I think 'skepticism'...that is what should be taught. Atheism would just be a natural consequence.

An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +298/-82
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2013, 01:20:43 PM »
Still, seems a shame you need to teach atheism. Just don't teach religion or let religion influence textbooks. No, I think 'skepticism'...that is what should be taught. Atheism would just be a natural consequence.

Unless Irish atheists believe atheism is a religion. I mean, they are teaching from a specific book by a specific guy. Not multiple books by multiple people.

-Nam

Offline Irish

• Fellow
  • Darwins +18/-0
  • Moraxella catarrhalis on BA
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2013, 02:17:34 PM »

Complete, utter, and unequivocal mayhem.
La scienze non ha nemici ma gli ignoranti.

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2013, 01:04:17 AM »
pianodwarf is back stateside... he can set us straight on whether he had anything to do with this :)
If xian hell really exists, the stench of the burning billions of us should be a constant, putrid reminder to the handful of heavenward xians how loving your god is.  - neopagan

Offline pianodwarf

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +208/-6
  • Je bois ton lait frappé
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2013, 01:38:48 AM »
pianodwarf is back stateside... he can set us straight on whether he had anything to do with this :)

I did not, though I do have a very amusing story re: atheism that I'll be sharing after getting the mailbag caught up, which I'm probably going to start doing momentarily.  Up at 1:30 this morning due to the good ol' jet lag... too early to start doing all this laundry yet, so I have to occupy myself with other things until the hour is more reasonable.
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn