Author Topic: A Relationship With God  (Read 3412 times)

Offline John 3 16

• Graduate
  • Darwins +1/-14
  • Darwins +0/-1,000,000,000
Re: A Relationship With God
« Reply #58 on: October 02, 2013, 05:04:49 PM »
I had a bit of an argument with my wife regarding the basis of faith and how those of us who have or have had faith in God force ourselves to be either willfully ignorant or unknowingly hypocritical.
Does your wife know your lack of belief?
I meant to say "Does your wife know about your conversion?"
Does she know you are an atheist now?  Have you come out of the closet yet?
Are you a hatheist?  (hey-thee-ist)

A person who vocally hates on religious individuals, often criticizing such persons for being uneducated hillbillies.

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #59 on: October 02, 2013, 08:21:54 PM »
Oooh - ooooh, I just did a few weeks back.  I highly recommend it. A fundy spouse is a wellspring, a font, a veritable waterfall of logic, reason, and compassion when you tell them you've moved on past skydad.                      (Is there a sarcasm button?)
If xian hell really exists, the stench of the burning billions of us should be a constant, putrid reminder to the handful of heavenward xians how loving your god is.  - neopagan

Offline John 3 16

• Graduate
  • Darwins +1/-14
« Reply #60 on: October 03, 2013, 08:09:09 AM »
Why would you be sarcastic?

I think it is mutually beneficial that we respect our spouses and share our non belief or belief with them.

So neopagan.  Have you come out of the closet yet?

A person who vocally hates on religious individuals, often criticizing such persons for being uneducated hillbillies.

Online Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +275/-31
« Reply #61 on: October 03, 2013, 09:07:48 AM »
John, you might consider reading the thread, before you come off as even more of a prick.  Or at least some of it.  Here it is:
http://whywontgodhealamputees.com/forums/index.php/topic,25194.0.html
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 09:12:31 AM by Azdgari »
The highest moral human authority is copied by our Gandhi neurons through observation.

Offline Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +191/-7
  • Official WWGHA Harpy, Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #62 on: October 03, 2013, 09:23:06 AM »
I think it is mutually beneficial that we respect our spouses and share our non belief or belief with them.
Why? Do you feel this way about everything, or is this "tell all" limited to god beliefs? Is it disrespectful to keep quiet about it if we happen to agree? Is it disrespectful if we chose to stay quiet because in a particular relationship god beliefs are not important to either party? What id the topic is avoided in an effort to keep the peace? Still important to share, even if it means other issues will suddenly come to the forefront that might have otherwise never come up at all? Is there any discretionary judgment that you think is acceptable?

My BF (of many, many years) is agnostic, I'm atheist, and we pretty much never discuss it unless I'm going off on a rant about something stupid related to religion*. Do you still think it's important for us to share this, or does it only apply in cases where one or both parties are believers?

*edited to add: we still don't discuss it much, he just indulges my explosion of temper.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 09:26:53 AM by Jag »
"It's hard to, but I'm starting to believe some of you actually believe these things.  That is completely beyond my ability to understand if that is really the case, but things never cease to amaze me."

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #63 on: October 03, 2013, 09:54:49 AM »
Why would you be sarcastic?
Sarcasm keeps me from crying or suck starting my gun sometimes...

Sometimes... I get a little hung up on the words "mututally beneficial" and "respect" in my case.

So neopagan.  Have you come out of the closet yet?
What part of "I just did a few weeks back" did you not understand? 
Simple answer: YES - on 9/11/13.  It sucked and still does (see my answer to your second comment).  I won't bore you with my tale.. as Azdgari noted, it's available elsewhere if you have a big bag of popcorn.

If xian hell really exists, the stench of the burning billions of us should be a constant, putrid reminder to the handful of heavenward xians how loving your god is.  - neopagan

Offline Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +191/-7
« Reply #64 on: October 03, 2013, 11:45:35 AM »
See? No insults, no spite, just greetings exchanged between two people who happen to disagree over a single point. No harm, no foul. Wouldn't it be a wonderful world if we could all be so civil?  :-\
That's what I saying.

BTW what's wrong with theists' karma points here?  :o
Are they all jerks like me?

Whoops, I missed this reply from you - sorry 'bout that.

Can you be a bit more clear about what you are asking? What "wrong" with theist karma points are you referring to? I'm not sure how to respond because I'm not sure what you are referring to, but if you can clarify a bit I'll try to answer, or at least give you my opinion, depending on what you mean by your question.

Did someone actually call you a jerk?
"It's hard to, but I'm starting to believe some of you actually believe these things.  That is completely beyond my ability to understand if that is really the case, but things never cease to amaze me."

Offline John 3 16

• Graduate
  • Darwins +1/-14
« Reply #65 on: October 03, 2013, 01:46:35 PM »
Can you be a bit more clear about what you are asking? What "wrong" with theist karma points are you referring to? I'm not sure how to respond because I'm not sure what you are referring to, but if you can clarify a bit I'll try to answer, or at least give you my opinion, depending on what you mean by your question
Or is it called Darwins points here?
Do you notice all of theists here have much higher negative darwins points than positive darwins regardless of their contents in the posts and attitude?

Did someone actually call you a jerk?
Something close to it.
you see here, all I did was asking a question whether he has come out of the closet or not.

John, you might consider reading the thread, before you come off as even more of a prick.  Or at least some of it.  Here it is:

you see here
Quote from: wright
........after a rude question

This website will get really boring if you guys keep treating theists like garbage and bully them and provoke them before you ban them.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 01:57:18 PM by John 3 16 »

Online Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +275/-31
« Reply #66 on: October 03, 2013, 01:51:47 PM »
you see here, all I did was asking a question whether he has come out of the closet or not.

You were coming off as a prick there, and would have come off as even more of one had you kept going like you were.  That's not the same as being a genuine jerk.

It appeared, at least to me, that you were trying to mockingly make fun of neopagan's family breakdown that followed his un-closeting.  To me, at least, that made you come off as a prick.

It had nothing to do with you being a theist, and everything to do with you being insensitive to his situation.
The highest moral human authority is copied by our Gandhi neurons through observation.

Offline John 3 16

• Graduate
  • Darwins +1/-14
« Reply #67 on: October 03, 2013, 02:03:01 PM »
I had no idea what neopagan was going through though.

Online Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +275/-31
« Reply #68 on: October 03, 2013, 02:04:38 PM »
Right.

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +896/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #69 on: October 03, 2013, 03:07:15 PM »
People, theists or not, are given a lot of leeway on this site. People only get banned for breaking rules, being offensive and refusing to accept the advice of the mods. It usually takes some time, and is not based on negative darwin points.

Nobody gets banned for disagreeing with others. We have had some religious folks here for years. They stay until they stop posting on their own for whatever reason. I have never in several years here, seen any theist get banned just for being religious.  If they are willing to respond to questions and be respectful, they can stay as long as they want.

Contrast this with how atheists are treated on most religious sites. As soon as you express any non-religious sentiments or ask questions they don't like, you're on autoban! and I don't mean speeding down the highway in Germany.
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #70 on: October 03, 2013, 03:29:03 PM »
Jn316
We have atheists with a fair number of (-) Darwins also.  It's not a beauty contest.  In exploring your theory, you might look at some of the atheists' (-) Darwins too, a lot of them are from xians.  All of mine are...

And FWIW, I understood you did not know me from Adam's fig thong... so I give some leeway on the closet stuff.   

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #71 on: October 03, 2013, 04:42:07 PM »
I have -46. But for my mouth (or fingers) I think that's a bit low. ;)

[EDIT]

Many of my smites are from fellow atheists but many are from the religious community, mainly warranted, some not.

-Nam
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 04:44:51 PM by Nam »
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Offline wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +79/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
« Reply #72 on: October 03, 2013, 05:20:46 PM »
you see here
Quote from: wright
........after a rude question

This website will get really boring if you guys keep treating theists like garbage and bully them and provoke them before you ban them.

I misunderstood your tone. FWIW, I apologize. That was provocative and unwarranted.

Twitching knees like mine aside, this is a pretty tolerant site. If you'd like an example of behavior that's moving towards ban-worthy status, here's Crowbar's posting history:http://whywontgodhealamputees.com/forums/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=56911

Theist trolls like that are fortunately few and far between, but they leave an unpleasant residue.
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline Foxy Freedom

• Reader
  • Darwins +98/-12
  • Why is it so difficult to say you don't know?
    • Foxy Freedom on Doctor Who
« Reply #73 on: October 03, 2013, 05:38:10 PM »

Do you mean in exactly the same way that Christians treat atheists on the street?

Or the way that Christians won't stop posting bibles through doors and bothering people in their own home?

Unlike those situations you chose to come to this site, so don't whine, just state your fallacy, and let someone refute it.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 05:45:09 PM by Foxy Freedom »
Neither Foxy Freedom nor any associates can be reached via WWGHA. Their official antitheist website is http://the6antitheist6guide6.blogspot.co.uk

The 2nd edition of the free ebook Devil or Delusion ? The danger of Christianity to Democracy Freedom and Science.       http://t.co/2d1KcJ9V

Offline Angus and Alexis

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
  • Residential Tulpamancer.
« Reply #74 on: October 03, 2013, 11:23:03 PM »
Or the way that Christians won't stop posting bibles through doors and bothering people in their own home?

Gah, i recently got two little christian pamphlets, i threw them in the fireplace for good riddens.
Rule 1: No pooftas. Rule 2: No maltreating the theists, IF, anyone is watching. Rule 3: No pooftas. Rule 4: I do not want to see anyone NOT drinking after light out. Rule 5: No pooftas. Rule 6: There is NO...rule 6.

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +408/-5
« Reply #75 on: October 04, 2013, 03:37:26 AM »

Gah, i recently got two little christian pamphlets, i threw them in the fireplace for good riddens.

The ones I'm getting through the door these days always have an address on them.  I always write them a polite letter thanking them for their leaflet, enclose a leaflet about the British Humanist Association, and invite them to get back to me if they have any questions. 

So far, none have taken me up on the offer.
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?

Offline Mrjason

• Reader
  • Darwins +93/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #76 on: October 04, 2013, 05:06:26 AM »
I get "street pastors" bothering me in the street on friday nights, inviting me to come into their church hall for a cup of tea when I'm drunk.

Once in a particularly pissed state I went in and argued with them. The silly fucks came and knocked on my door at 10am the next day to ask if I wanted to come and join a prayer circle as they were worried about me!

There's also a dude who reads the bible at me when I'm on the way home from work and occasionally there are Jehovah's witnesses outside my local supermarket.

It's not just the christians either, I have muslim friends that invite me to understanding islam events despite knowing that I am an atheist. Admittedly there is usually a good buffet at the islam events so I do turn up for a bit.

I'm even god father to one friends daughter FFS. I only agreed to that because I've known the guy for 20 years and value his friendship more than I am offended by his disrespect.

I just can't seem to get away from the religious :(

Offline Angus and Alexis

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
« Reply #77 on: October 04, 2013, 05:49:01 AM »
It's not just the christians either, I have muslim friends that invite me to understanding islam events despite knowing that I am an atheist. Admittedly there is usually a good buffet at the islam events so I do turn up for a bit.

I was invited to a mosque once, if Muslims are good for one thing, its making bad-ass food.
Maybe a tad bit spicy though...
Rule 1: No pooftas. Rule 2: No maltreating the theists, IF, anyone is watching. Rule 3: No pooftas. Rule 4: I do not want to see anyone NOT drinking after light out. Rule 5: No pooftas. Rule 6: There is NO...rule 6.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +678/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #78 on: October 04, 2013, 08:56:05 AM »
Sometimes I go to Sikh gurudwaras just for the food.  The best Indian restaurants have Punjabi cooks. And most Punjabis are Sikh.  So... langar is just like going to a good Indian restaurant, for free.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #79 on: October 04, 2013, 09:54:15 AM »
I'd go just about anywhere for free chow - except fundie pitch-ins.  I go to an Eastern Ortho food fest and usually don't know what I'm eating and the people are cool - never blabbering on about god or prayer for so-and-so.  However, a fundie-fest is nauseating due to the blather going on around the room, despite the comfort food. 

Offline Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +191/-7
« Reply #80 on: October 04, 2013, 03:01:04 PM »
Can you be a bit more clear about what you are asking? What "wrong" with theist karma points are you referring to? I'm not sure how to respond because I'm not sure what you are referring to, but if you can clarify a bit I'll try to answer, or at least give you my opinion, depending on what you mean by your question
Do you notice all of theists here have much higher negative darwins points than positive darwins regardless of their contents in the posts and attitude?

I can understand why you see it that way and even agree, to a point. There may be a genuine bias here, but that's a two way street, don't forget. With an openly atheist perspective, we get the attention of some truly interesting people on either side of the question. Theists who visit tend to fall into certain patterns of behavior, and the response from the active members varies by a few factors: the member's temperament, the visitor's temperament, the speed of decline in civility, the effort to provide support (ideally in the form of empirical evidence) for one's claims, and how long it takes the visitor to start "foaming at the mouth" behavior (some never do, and that's a nice change for us).

Go take a look at the posting history of whomever you want to - just click on their user name and then click on "Show Posts" to see history. You can read the posts in order and see certain patterns emerge pretty quickly among theists - it's not always there, but it's far more common than not.

To your concern about this site getting really boring, well, so far it's going strong. You're here, along with one or two other relative newbies, a couple long-timers and a few more who mostly pop in and out at random (you are one of this last group, aren't you?). Then add all the atheist members and it looks like we've got little to worry about, other than technical problems. I can certainly understand that it's not pleasant to be on the receiving end of criticism or critical remarks, that's generally the way it goes around here. I don't make claims without either knowing that I'm correct (and able to support it with evidence), or with the expectation that I will be called out if my claim is wrong, or unsupported.

Moving on, you haven't responded to my other post to you earlier in this thread: http://whywontgodhealamputees.com/forums/index.php/topic,25507.msg572295.html#msg572295

I'd like to know your thoughts on this.

Offline Angus and Alexis

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
« Reply #81 on: October 04, 2013, 10:40:31 PM »

I'm an atheist, and look at my "Darwins" ;D.
I am like...in ratio terms...the most hated atheist here.

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +896/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #82 on: October 06, 2013, 01:04:36 PM »
I have never given or gotten any negative darwins, except from a Catholic former member who smited every atheist here, just on principle.
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline William

• Fellow
  • Darwins +92/-2
« Reply #83 on: October 06, 2013, 01:11:22 PM »
I am like...in ratio terms...the most hated atheist here.
Negative Darwins from fellow atheists are not "hate" - think of them as reality prods ;)
It's what you do about them that counts.
Git mit uns

Offline Angus and Alexis

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
« Reply #84 on: October 06, 2013, 11:36:06 PM »
I guess...(Darn you tulpae *raises fist*)

Still, 1:2 ratio is pretty bad ;P.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +678/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #85 on: October 07, 2013, 09:08:22 AM »
Still, 1:2 ratio is pretty bad

Do better.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline Angus and Alexis

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
« Reply #86 on: October 07, 2013, 10:33:23 AM »
Do better.

Does that mean get more +?
Or more -?

I can easily get the second if you want...