Author Topic: Color test  (Read 362 times)

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
Color test
« on: September 24, 2013, 04:51:31 PM »
This is making the rounds on my facebook page today, and I thought it was fascinating.

http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/how-well-do-you-see-color-173018

Given that I've got those middle-aged eyes, and I feel like I need to hold a book at arm's length to read the title, I assumed I wouldn't do too well.  But I guess our ability to perceive color is quite different from other aspects of our vision.

Apparently there are HUGE differences in the male and female ability to perceive color.

I scored a 4.  Who wants to take the test and report scores? 

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +846/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
Re: Color test
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2013, 05:12:35 PM »
You must be amazing, Quesi. As a fiber artist, I think I am pretty good with colors, but got a 16. Not bad, but not a 4 either! ;D
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline Willie

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +72/-1
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 06:14:59 PM »
I got a 4. I'm 49 and my vision definitely isn't what it used to be, so, yes, I'd say color acuity is independent from one's ability to focus.

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2013, 06:36:44 PM »
I scored a perfect 0. I'm an artist, so I guess I should add that to my resume.  ;D
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Offline wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +76/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2013, 06:39:37 PM »
Well done, Quesi and Trav. Mine was 8; in comparison to guys in my age range not too bad. Did poorly in blue and violet.

Interesting, Quesi. Thanks for posting the link.
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +747/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2013, 06:56:10 PM »
Ummmm, I couldn't read my score. That's a bad thing, isn't it?

Actually, my score was so bad Pantone is coming to take my eyes out. And I can't blame them. It's a good thing nobody is depending on my color selecting abilities for their livliehood, or their life.

Oh alright, I got a 35. But I am really really old, and have been for a long time.

(Now that I think about it, a lot of people have been honking at when I drive through intersections with stoplights. That's a bad thing too, huh?)
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline shnozzola

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2013, 07:22:30 PM »
I got a 61 - wait, is that a red light!!!!! AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
“The best thing for being sad," replied Merlin, beginning to puff and blow, "is to learn something."  ~ T. H. White
  The real holy trinity:  onion, celery, and bell pepper ~  all Cajun Chefs

Offline Zankuu

• Reader
  • Darwins +132/-3
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2013, 08:39:44 PM »
Scored a 3. The colors really started blending the longer I stared at it.
Leave nothing to chance. Overlook nothing. Combine contradictory observations. Allow yourself enough time. -Hippocrates of Cos

Offline freakygin

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +8/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2013, 08:50:10 PM »
I got perfect score.
That's weird... I was pretty sure i'm color blind.
Because i got rejected when i choose Graphic Design major in college.

If you argue correctly, you're never wrong..

Offline Astreja

• Fellow
  • Darwins +264/-3
  • Agnostic goddess with Clue-by-Four™
    • The Springy Goddess
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2013, 08:55:58 PM »
I got an 8.  All of the mistakes were at the blue/purple end of the scale, interestingly.
Reality Checkroom — Not Responsible for Lost Articles

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +128/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2013, 09:26:30 PM »
Oddly, I did worse where I thought I did well and vice-versa. I could tell differences in shades but I couldn't always tell which way to shift tiles because some of the tiles did not appear to provide a smooth color transition.

Even when I look at the transition in the results, it seems that some of the shades are out of order because some darker shades appear to be positioned between lighter shades. Maybe this is because I am not using a perfect monitor for color reproduction.

This is one reason (among many) why I am not an interior decorator.

John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2013, 11:01:08 PM »
...Even when I look at the transition in the results, it seems that some of the shades are out of order because some darker shades appear to be positioned between lighter shades. Maybe this is because I am not using a perfect monitor for color reproduction.

Ah, but this test looks for hue, not intensity or saturation. The results chart has greater variety in intensity than the actual test chips, in my opinion. One of the keys to this kind of test is to squint and if you're uncertain, switch two tiles and see which is warmer (or cooler) in hue.
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Offline Iamrational

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +9/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2013, 11:02:05 PM »
I am ashamed. I got half way through the second line and quit.

Maybe the fussy 2 week old baby girl in my arms is not helping me finish.

Oh well. I claim a perfect score. Oh wait... I am a sinner, therefore I am not perfect. Put me down for a 5. Thanks. Take care now. Bye bye then.

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +128/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2013, 05:57:17 AM »
Ah, but this test looks for hue, not intensity or saturation. The results chart has greater variety in intensity than the actual test chips, in my opinion. One of the keys to this kind of test is to squint and if you're uncertain, switch two tiles and see which is warmer (or cooler) in hue.

I switched frequently, but I was thinking that hue, intensity and saturation were all involved. That may be why I didn't score better, but I didn't score poorly, either.

I have frequently been given color tests when I complain about certain things with my vision. The doctors always assume I am color blind, but I pass their tests every time. I think I have a different issue, but I am not sure what it is. For example, when trying to read the green and white signs for street names, it takes me a second or two longer to correctly read them. But when I am in Virginia, where blue and white signs are popular, they are easier for me to read. I think my brain reacts faster because there is more contrast with blue and white (or so my brain thinks). It may also be that green and white signs easily blend in with nearby trees whereas blue and white does not.

I am a very visual person. I learn best by visual methods and I have very good visual memory. In fact, if I have to learn anything that is not visual, I create a visual process in my head to help me understand it. If someone gives me directions, I just don't remember 2 lefts, 2 rights, etc, but instead I visualize a map in my head with lines drawn like you would see on the directions for Google or Bing maps.

Maybe everyone does this and I am just unaware. Some people associate colors with numbers (Urs) and perhaps use them as a learning/memory too, too.

John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +408/-5
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2013, 07:03:02 AM »
Oh my.  57.

But I do have nerve damage in one eye, which I KNOW has an effect on the vibrancy with which I see colours (especially red), so actually not to bad considering.

And it can't be TOO bad - I was painting some 10mm soldiers the other day and getting comments about how good they looked, so my real-life colour perception can't be too screwy!
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +655/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2013, 07:52:31 AM »
4.  I did not see what ones I got wrong, but I had the hardest time with the green-purple row.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline jynnan tonnix

• Reader
  • Darwins +87/-1
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2013, 08:06:23 AM »
I'm an artist as well, but color has never been my forte. That being said, I had thought I would do pretty well, as I was fairly easily able to distinguish the warmer/cooler hues from each other. Or so I thought. Color me chagrined. :) Interestingly, I got a 30 the first time I took it, and went back to see whether I was seeing things wrong or what, and scored a 14 the second time. Maybe I need to keep practicing...I was pretty happy with my gradation before I hit the "score" button both times.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +655/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2013, 08:37:58 AM »
Color me chagrined.

You already were, you just couldn't tell.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.