Author Topic: Have you met Preachers who won't leave you alone?  (Read 448 times)

Online Foxy Freedom

• Reader
  • Darwins +99/-12
  • Why is it so difficult to say you don't know?
    • Foxy Freedom on Doctor Who
Have you met Preachers who won't leave you alone?
« on: October 16, 2013, 08:02:59 PM »
How often have you met a Christian in the street, and you said "no thanks" but he or she just keeps talking at you?

I had something much worse happen when I was at school. A Jehovah's Witness came to my parents house and knocked at the door. He was told that we were atheist and not interested. He went away. Hours later a bible was pushed into the letterbox. You might think that was the end. My parents laughed about it and forgot it. Two or three days later the JW returned and knocked on the door again. No one answered. After ten minutes or so he left. Later the same day he came back with a tow truck and parked at the end of the drive. He switched on all the flashing orange beacons on the truck and the sirens, then he and his companions jumped out of the truck with video cameras to film whatever my parents did. We did nothing, just left them at the gate. After about half an hour they finally left. It was frightening for me to see such obsessive people hanging around not knowing what they would do next. It was probably my worst experience of obsessive people.
Neither Foxy Freedom nor any associates can be reached via WWGHA. Their official antitheist website is http://the6antitheist6guide6.blogspot.co.uk

The 2nd edition of the free ebook Devil or Delusion ? The danger of Christianity to Democracy Freedom and Science.       http://t.co/2d1KcJ9V

Offline natlegend

• Reader
  • Darwins +66/-0
  • Polyatheist
Re: Have you met Preachers who won't leave you alone?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2013, 09:38:56 PM »
Ok, I was going to counter that with the time a preacher kept going at me about going to hell until I cried, but your version is much worse. I woulda called the coppers on their righteous areses!
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 09:53:36 PM »
Yeah, the most I got was an old lady praising me for telling some kids to not be like the negativity they thought was cool until I stated I was not interested in being a Christian then she said I was going to burn in hell.

Happened at a mall in Orlando.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Offline median

• Reader
  • Darwins +201/-16
  • Yahweh: Obviously not obvious.
    • Talk Origins
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, 10:54:16 PM »
I actually really like debating with religionists (ya think!?). So when they come to my door or I see them on the street preaching I rope them in (by hook or by crook - j/k) long enough to completely shred every irrational argument they have rehearsed. They leave with their sore asses beat and I feel good b/c I know they won't forget the conversation! One time I was playing drums in a band with some Mormon kids (don't ask why) but the bass player was not Mormon. One day I showed up to band practice and the bassist (Mike) was announced as having just been baptized into the LDS faith. That night after practice I had a long conversation with him in his car (his best friend Brad was our Mormon vocalist, and he convinced him to become Mormon). Mike got mad at me for completely shredding the arguments he was rehashing from Brad (the vocalist). After that night, Mike and I didn't talk for three years. I unexpectedly ran into him after coming out of a JC Psych class. Yep, he was atheist. ROCK!

This is why I really enjoy debating today (well one reason anyway). I changed! And so can many others. It just takes ground work and lots of perseverance.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. Carl Sagan

Offline bosey926

• Reader
  • Darwins +8/-1
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2013, 10:42:19 AM »
     My worst/most annoying experience with a bible-thumper was with a Jehovah's Witness as well.  It was a middle-aged lady dragging around her four or five year old daughter (as if to try and guilt trip the people whom they were harassing), and it was on the Sabbath nonetheless.  She was passing around these pseudo-scientific pamphlets that tried to debunk the Theory of Evolution by saying, in short, that "Well, you scientist/atheist people can't completely explain the connection, species for species, between birds and dinosaurs because they have similar skeletal structures so God did it!"  It had numerous examples in there; I remember a couple of species of fish, then jumping to a sperm whale.  They had felines in it too. 
     I responded openly that I was an atheist and that I wasn't interested at all.  I just took the pamphlet and gave her the typical politically correct "Sure.  I'll try to make time and read it" bullshit.  I remember I was trying to watch an Arsenal game. 
     Little did I know the crazy lady would return a week later.  Funny part of it was, though, I unintentionally had my best atheist shirt on.  It said "ATHEISM IS A NON-PROPHET ORGANIZATION" in huge bold font right across the front.  I told her straight up that I didn't read it with the slightest bit of care and she never came back.

Offline bertatberts

• Reader
  • Darwins +52/-8
  • Humanists. Not perfect. Not forgiven. Responsible.
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2013, 11:01:31 AM »
Everything has got to stop for a Gooners/Gunners( I'm old school) game.

I got hassled by some sweet little old lady JW's, so I said "if they could convince me about God and Jesus without using the bible I'd convert", thinking this would get rid of them, they told me they had a man who could do that. Suffice to say after several weeks he came along. So I said "go ahead" the first thing he did was refer to scripture, I said "you did understand the condictions", he said "yes" So said "go ahead" again and he said "but you've tied my hands". I closed the door.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 11:09:42 AM by bertatberts »
We theists have no evidence for our beliefs. So no amount of rational evidence will dissuade us from those beliefs. - JCisall

It would be pretty piss poor brainwashing, if the victims knew they were brainwashed, wouldn't it? - Screwtape. 04/12/12

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2013, 11:03:31 AM »
I deconverted about a year ago, but just "came out" last month to the family and a few very select folks at my old church.  I've been peppered by several church "friends" and several more pastors who always want to "meet for coffee" and catch up or chat, invariably about my godlessness (most of them are ones I have not told about my deconversion)...

What's a little strange is - all of them have said something to the effect of "I really respect your decision, and I know you don't take these decisions lightly and I want you to know I respect you for it."  Heck, that's better than what the wife said :)  They have invariably asked for more coffee dates, and I've left it up to them to reconnect and haven't heard anything.  Hopefully, that means they go away with their jeezus crap. 

If xian hell really exists, the stench of the burning billions of us should be a constant, putrid reminder to the handful of heavenward xians how loving your god is.  - neopagan

Offline Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +191/-7
  • Official WWGHA Harpy, Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2013, 11:25:06 AM »
Several years back (wow time flies, this might have been a decade ago.....) my daughter got targeted by a JW couple. it was kind of weird - they stopped by our house every couple of weeks, but somehow managed to do it when she was there and I was not for a couple of months. She told me about it every time they stopped by, but couldn't bring herself to close the door and end the conversations when they showed up. We had a good laugh about why people find it difficult to be rude to people who are being polite to you, even though you didn't invite the interruption. Who's the rude one there?  &)

Eventually they arrived when I was home, and I answered the door, determined to end this one way or another. For the record, I still thought of myself as "spiritual, not religious" but was very reluctant to examine what that meant. I had discarded any organized religion beliefs and was deep in SPAG of my own.

They started by asking to talk to my daughter - which I forbade in no uncertain terms. They protested that she had expressed interest, I corrected them to clarify that politeness is not interest, and that she now knew what to do if they came to visit again in my absence. The man of the couple then wanted to discuss my beliefs. I told him that as far as I was concerned, his question was far too personal to be asking a complete stranger, and that it was on par with asking me to discuss my sex life with him.

We never saw them again.
"It's hard to, but I'm starting to believe some of you actually believe these things.  That is completely beyond my ability to understand if that is really the case, but things never cease to amaze me."

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2013, 11:28:25 AM »
Sooooo...about your sex life, Jag?

;)

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Offline Iamrational

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +9/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2013, 12:54:43 PM »
I told him that as far as I was concerned, his question was far too personal to be asking a complete stranger

Just curious, did you not want to discuss your religious beliefs because you were ashamed, uncertain, or just possibly annoyed with them? I know you said you were transitioning so maybe you didn't want to show them where you were at. Just curious.

Offline Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +191/-7
  • Official WWGHA Harpy, Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2013, 01:01:48 PM »
Strange as it may sound, I meant what I said. At that point and for all my life leading up to it, I really did take the position that beliefs are personal, and although that didn't mean they couldn't, or shouldn't, be discussed, I certainly didn't feel any obligation to share them with any random stranger who knocked on my door with intent to "sell" me something. I talked about them quite a bit actually, but with people I chose to discuss them with. Come to think of it, that's still the case but the internet sure opens a lot of metaphorical doors to do so.

I can be kind of weird about privacy in general though, so that influences it as well.
"It's hard to, but I'm starting to believe some of you actually believe these things.  That is completely beyond my ability to understand if that is really the case, but things never cease to amaze me."