Author Topic: Prayer and its non-existent effects (Free chance to prove prayer too.)  (Read 705 times)

Offline Angus and Alexis

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
  • Residential Tulpamancer.
As all current evidence says, prayer does zilch.
I have an eye defect that makes it aim to one side and and flawed vision.
If you are a theist, and want to prove prayer works, pray for my eye to get better.
Rule 1: No pooftas. Rule 2: No maltreating the theists, IF, anyone is watching. Rule 3: No pooftas. Rule 4: I do not want to see anyone NOT drinking after light out. Rule 5: No pooftas. Rule 6: There is NO...rule 6.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +290/-80
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: Prayer and its non-existent effects (Free chance to prove prayer too.)
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2013, 04:01:09 AM »
They don't care about you or your eye.

-Nam
This is my signature "Nam", don't I have nice typing skills?

Offline Anfauglir

• Darwins +407/-4
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 06:50:26 AM »
If you are a theist, and want to prove prayer works, pray for my eye to get better.

Hey!  I've been asking believers to pray for my eye for years!  Back of the line, newbies!   ;)
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?

Offline Aaron123

• Fellow
  • Darwins +77/-1
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2013, 11:10:29 AM »

Respond #1) You do not test Thy Lord God!  (because god had bad experiences with tests during his school days)

Respond #2 God has plans for you and your eyes.  (which is the same as no plans)
Being a Christian, I've made my decision. That decision offers no compromise; therefore, I'm closed to anything else.

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2013, 11:20:33 AM »

Don't you know god heals your heart, not your other organs?  Keep an eye out (so to speak), for glowing red lights in your peripheral vision. One burger-making theist here claimed the blinking light was jeezus communicating with him.   :o
If xian hell really exists, the stench of the burning billions of us should be a constant, putrid reminder to the handful of heavenward xians how loving your god is.  - neopagan

Online ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +684/-3
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2013, 11:57:28 AM »
The purpose of prayer, as with all religious paraphernalia, is to distract people from the real world. Hence, there are fewer scientists/researchers/inventors to help with things like eye problems. The religious simply do too much stuff wrong.

Which is not to imply that there is a right amount of wrong to do. ;D

Not everyone is entitled to their opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline jdawg70

• Reader
  • Darwins +315/-6
  • Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2013, 12:15:56 PM »
Respond #1) You do not test Thy Lord God!  (because god had bad experiences with tests during his school days)

Respond #2 God has plans for you and your eyes.  (which is the same as no plans)
Response #3: But if god did heal your eye, then everyone in the world would know god exists and that would violate free will, which god doesn't want to have happen because that would be bad.  Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to get back to my god-given mission of telling everyone to believe that god exists. (any contradictions or other lapses of basic logic that you see is only because you don't have enough faith)
"When we landed on the moon, that was the point where god should have come up and said 'hello'. Because if you invent some creatures, put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, you f**king turn up and say 'well done'."
- Eddie Izzard

Offline sun_king

• Graduate
  • Darwins +25/-0
  • We see things not as they are, but as we are
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2013, 01:01:17 PM »

Did you try donating a lot of cash?

Alternately you can offer a burnt motherboard or smash a new iPhone. There needs to be some sacrifice...

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +614/-23
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2013, 01:17:27 PM »

I think it depends for what you pray.  If you need to make your next mortgage payment, prayer is useless.  If you've got a wonky eye you want cured, prayer is useless.  If your car has no battery and you need to get it started, prayer does zilch.

However, praying for strength to endure a hardship, or for patience with your spouse, or for self awareness, or to ease your worry, prayer can work.[1]  But I do not think that is a supernatural thing.  I think it is a form of meditation, where a person focuses on an idea or problem and becomes mindful of it. 

I have made a secular prayer for myself to help me be mindful of things that are important to me. Patience, listenting, being positive, etc.  No gods are invoked.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/roya-r-rad-ma-psyd/prayer_b_3055127.html

1. I say "can", not "will", because obviously it does not work for everyone, every time
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline jdawg70

• Reader
  • Darwins +315/-6
  • Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2013, 03:08:09 PM »
Did you try donating a lot of cash?

Alternately you can offer a burnt motherboard or smash a new iPhone. There needs to be some sacrifice...
There is a really bad joke involving Retina Displays here...
"When we landed on the moon, that was the point where god should have come up and said 'hello'. Because if you invent some creatures, put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, you f**king turn up and say 'well done'."
- Eddie Izzard

Online nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +781/-4
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2013, 03:09:12 PM »
Did someone call me? Oh. My bad. Carry on, people.  8)
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline Angus and Alexis

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2013, 02:13:56 AM »
Wow, 10 replies that quickly?

Anyway, how many theists are there on this site?

Is there any who have endured being here for a long time?
Rule 1: No pooftas. Rule 2: No maltreating the theists, IF, anyone is watching. Rule 3: No pooftas. Rule 4: I do not want to see anyone NOT drinking after light out. Rule 5: No pooftas. Rule 6: There is NO...rule 6.

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2013, 09:14:13 AM »
Precious few stick around for long.  I'm not aware of any hard core participants at the moment.  Maybe some random deist-types (or whatever they wish to define themselves as)

Most are of the drive-by variety who dump their "wisdom" on us, like we have never heard their inane revelations before, and go off in the sunset when they have decided they are throwing pearls to swine...
If xian hell really exists, the stench of the burning billions of us should be a constant, putrid reminder to the handful of heavenward xians how loving your god is.  - neopagan

Online nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +781/-4
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2013, 02:40:38 PM »
We have had a few god-believers who stick around for quite a long time. Most have been relatively reasonable and fun to interact with. After a while, they understand that we don't accept statements from religious scriptures as truth unless there is a factual basis. They realize that nobody here is going to accept bogus arguments about why their god does not seem to exist. They generally get worn out and leave on their own. They are welcome back anytime.

I can think of three off the top of my head who were truly awful people: insulting to everyone, giving out smites to anyone who disagreed with them, linking to crazy websites instead of answering questions, refusing to engage in a sensible manner, and being a general pain in the a$$. We tolerate them for far longer than most religious sites tolerate atheists (where anyone who asks too many questions gets banned). After several attempts to get them to behave and play nice, they end up banned.

I don't think belief has anything to do with it--some religious people are nice and others are just jerks. But religious jerks think they are better than we are, no matter how badly they behave. Because god. &)
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +96/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2013, 07:17:58 PM »
I am hung like a horse,I have been praying for shrinkage for years.....maybe my wife has been praying to keep it and God in answering her prayers and not mine :angel:
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Offline penfold

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +63/-4
  • ...buzz buzz buzz...
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2013, 05:31:18 AM »

Not sure I agree with this. As screwtape has already noted:

However, praying for strength to endure a hardship, or for patience with your spouse, or for self awareness, or to ease your worry, prayer can work.[1]  But I do not think that is a supernatural thing.  I think it is a form of meditation, where a person focuses on an idea or problem and becomes mindful of it. 
 1. I say "can", not "will", because obviously it does not work for everyone, every time

He is right to point out that there is robust evidence that in this sense prayer does work. However I think we can draw the point even broader; for those who are religious prayer works in exactly the way it is supposed to; it provides them with a means of communication with the divine.

My own view is that the 'divine' is really best described as the subconscious self, however that does not lessen the profundity of that communication for the devotee. In terms of effect and impact prayer has huge import. A devout friend of mine uses prayer as a way to help him though his ongoing battle with schizophrenia - he does not for a moment believe that prayer can cure him; but the solace and peace it brings keeps him afloat during his 'bad days'. The charge that prayer is doing 'zilch' for him is simply not accurate.

I think the 'why won't prayer heal my eye' question can only really be asked of a very small fringe of devout intercessory prayer believers. Most theists no more believe that prayer works in that way than you or I do.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 05:35:03 AM by penfold »
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn’t go away." - P.K.D.

Offline Angus and Alexis

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2013, 07:26:47 AM »

Not sure I agree with this. As screwtape has already noted:

He is right to point out that there is robust evidence that in this sense prayer does work. However I think we can draw the point even broader; for those who are religious prayer works in exactly the way it is supposed to; it provides them with a means of communication with the divine.

My own view is that the 'divine' is really best described as the subconscious self, however that does not lessen the profundity of that communication for the devotee. In terms of effect and impact prayer has huge import. A devout friend of mine uses prayer as a way to help him though his ongoing battle with schizophrenia - he does not for a moment believe that prayer can cure him; but the solace and peace it brings keeps him afloat during his 'bad days'. The charge that prayer is doing 'zilch' for him is simply not accurate.

I think the 'why won't prayer heal my eye' question can only really be asked of a very small fringe of devout intercessory prayer believers. Most theists no more believe that prayer works in that way than you or I do.

But what ever happened to "Ask and ye shall get"?
Isn't that what the theist god often promises?

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +614/-23
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2013, 08:07:36 AM »

Sure.  But theists model the world in pretty much the same way we do.  They anticipate those kinds of prays being ineffective.[1]  So they lower the bar.  You have to ask for things that might happen anyway. You have to ask for things that are within your power.  You have to ask for things that are part of His Will.  That way, when you make them come true, it is evidence that the cosmic overlord of all existence cares about you.  And if you don't make them come true, oh well, I guess He has other Plans...
 1. one could argue they are as much atheists as we are.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline Angus and Alexis

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2013, 08:45:45 AM »

Sure.  But theists model the world in pretty much the same way we do.  They anticipate those kinds of prays being ineffective.[1]  So they lower the bar.  You have to ask for things that might happen anyway. You have to ask for things that are within your power.  You have to ask for things that are part of His Will.  That way, when you make them come true, it is evidence that the cosmic overlord of all existence cares about you.  And if you don't make them come true, oh well, I guess He has other Plans...
 1. one could argue they are as much atheists as we are.

I guess, i find it ironic that they know that their own religion is false in ways, yet still have the nerve to say other religions are false/atheists are immoral/etc.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +614/-23
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2013, 08:56:03 AM »
I guess, i find it ironic that they know that their own religion is false in ways, yet still have the nerve to say other religions are false/atheists are immoral/etc.

the mind is a terrible thing, treacherous and deceptive.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline Angus and Alexis

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2013, 09:33:45 AM »

the mind is a terrible thing, treacherous and deceptive.

Agreed...
But hey, at least we enjoy being treacherous, deceptive creatures, am i right 9_9.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +614/-23
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2013, 10:17:12 AM »
But hey, at least we enjoy being treacherous, deceptive creatures, am i right 9_9.

No, it's not that we are treacherous and deceptive, it is that our minds are.  The mind sabotages rational understanding of reality.

And if you study the causes of our beliefs and motivations long enough, another realization hits you.

“Oh my God,” you think. “It’s not that I have a rational little homunculus inside that is being ‘corrupted’ by all these evolved heuristics and biases layered over it. No, the data are saying that the software program that is me just is heuristics and biases. I just am this kluge of evolved cognitive modules and algorithmic shortcuts. I’m not an agent designed to have correct beliefs and pursue explicit goals; I’m a crazy robot built as a vehicle for propagating genes without spending too much energy on expensive thinking neurons.”

http://intelligenceexplosion.com/2011/the-crazy-robots-rebellion/
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline hickdive

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +32/-0
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2013, 10:29:23 AM »
Your eye has not been healed because the theists aren't praying hard enough.
Stupidity, unlike intelligence, has no limits.

Offline Angus and Alexis

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2013, 10:30:02 AM »

No, it's not that we are treacherous and deceptive, it is that our minds are.  The mind sabotages rational understanding of reality.

I was being sarcastic, sorry...
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 10:32:19 AM by Angus and Alexis »

Offline Angus and Alexis

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2013, 10:32:57 AM »
Your eye has not been healed because the theists aren't praying hard enough.

Damn you theists! *shakes fist*
Put some effort into it.

Offline Jontom10

• Graduate
  • Darwins +14/-0
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2013, 11:53:37 AM »
I dunno about your eye but only earlier I was praying that someone would open another thread about the ineffectiveness of prayer and PRAISE BE TO DA LORD my prayer has been answered and here we are.

God therefore exists.

Pah!

Hasa Diga Eebowai

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2013, 12:28:19 PM »
and I was praying someone would open a thread about tulpae... wow, gawd is moving!!

Offline Jonny-UK

• Graduate
  • Darwins +31/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2013, 01:03:17 PM »
and I was praying my bottle of wine would not run out..........Damn...........need to find more responsive god
"Do I look like someone who cares what god thinks" - pinhead

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2013, 02:14:27 PM »
^^^ as long as you have a bottle of water, he can help you out - he mastered that old trick years ago at a wedding