Author Topic: More evdence of Mrs YHWH  (Read 464 times)

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +678/-28
  • Karma mooch
More evdence of Mrs YHWH
« on: September 23, 2013, 02:31:12 PM »
It's true.  The hebrew god, yhwh, had a wife.  Apparently they had a rather ugly split, and he demanded all her poles be taken down.   

Jewish archaeologists find new evidence of this.

Female figurines and inscribed prayers to a "divine couple" found in temples in Israel suggest that the “one God” of the Bible may not have been entirely alone.

A recent excavation in Tel Motza, not far from Jerusalem, found what archaeologists believe to have been a ritual building - with clay figures of animals and men from the time of the First Temple, according to Israel's Haaretz news site.

The find suggests that Iron Age religion in the area around Jerusalem may not have been monotheistic just before the time the Hebrew Bible – the basis of the Old Testament - started to be written.

...continued

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/finds-in-israel-add-weight-to-theory-god-%E2%80%9Chad-wife%E2%80%9D-145026393.html#4efm1WL

as expected, the comments are comparable to chimps flinging their own shit.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
Re: More evdence of Mrs YHWH
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2013, 03:22:25 PM »
leave it to YHWH to give his wife the short end of the stick (or pole in this case)  ;)

If xian hell really exists, the stench of the burning billions of us should be a constant, putrid reminder to the handful of heavenward xians how loving your god is.  - neopagan

Offline jdawg70

• Reader
  • Darwins +377/-8
  • Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2013, 04:32:54 PM »
It's true.  The hebrew god, yhwh, had a wife.  Apparently they had a rather ugly split, and he demanded all her poles be taken down.   
That's what he gets for marrying a stripper.
"When we landed on the moon, that was the point where god should have come up and said 'hello'. Because if you invent some creatures, put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, you f**king turn up and say 'well done'."

- Eddie Izzard

http://deepaksducttape.wordpress.com/

Online Zankuu

• Reader
  • Darwins +132/-3
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2013, 04:52:58 PM »
It's true.  The hebrew god, yhwh, had a wife.

Is it Asherah? I bet it's Asherah.

*checks link*

Yep. She's an old school life partner from back before the Canaanite gods El and Yahweh were rolled into one Hebrew deity. But I think it's a serious stretch to suggest that Iron Age Israelites weren't largely monotheists by the 10th century.
Leave nothing to chance. Overlook nothing. Combine contradictory observations. Allow yourself enough time. -Hippocrates of Cos

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +185/-8
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2013, 06:06:42 PM »
Would make sense.  How else did God get the Boy...even though the Boy and God are the same person.  Does that mean God and his Wife are one and the same?  This is getting really kinky now.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Foxy Freedom

• Reader
  • Darwins +99/-12
  • Why is it so difficult to say you don't know?
    • Foxy Freedom on Doctor Who
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2013, 06:16:21 PM »
There was still a whole family of gods in the early parts of the Old Testament even some called sons of gods but try to get a religious person to admit it!!!! They did not merge into Yahweh until later.

There were also household gods which were different from the official religion. This included the asherah pole.
Neither Foxy Freedom nor any associates can be reached via WWGHA. Their official antitheist website is http://the6antitheist6guide6.blogspot.co.uk

The 2nd edition of the free ebook Devil or Delusion ? The danger of Christianity to Democracy Freedom and Science.       http://t.co/2d1KcJ9V

Offline Aaron123

• Fellow
  • Darwins +77/-1
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2013, 12:53:38 AM »
So old YHWH had a divorce way back?  I guess that would explain why he's so cranky throughout the OT.
Being a Christian, I've made my decision. That decision offers no compromise; therefore, I'm closed to anything else.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2013, 03:54:50 AM »
So old YHWH had a divorce way back?  I guess that would explain why he's so cranky throughout the OT.

Yeah, it hasn't had sex. Probably has a tiny dick. And didn't know what foreplay was. Also explains the jealousy, the want to have absolute love from everyone, and the constant tantrums when it doesn't gets it way.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +678/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2013, 08:21:48 AM »
But I think it's a serious stretch to suggest that Iron Age Israelites weren't largely monotheists by the 10th century.

10th century or 10th century BCE?  Everything I read said they weren't monotheists until the Babylonian exile.  Which was 6th C BCE. Or possibly under Josiah, right before their ignominious defeat, in the 7th century BCE.

Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +185/-8
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2013, 12:50:49 PM »
Seems to me God and His bunch could be guests on Jerry Springer.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Online Zankuu

• Reader
  • Darwins +132/-3
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2013, 01:18:47 PM »
But I think it's a serious stretch to suggest that Iron Age Israelites weren't largely monotheists by the 10th century.

10th century or 10th century BCE?  Everything I read said they weren't monotheists until the Babylonian exile.  Which was 6th C BCE. Or possibly under Josiah, right before their ignominious defeat, in the 7th century BCE.

I meant 10th century BCE but you're right! I got dyslexic with my (B)CE's.
Leave nothing to chance. Overlook nothing. Combine contradictory observations. Allow yourself enough time. -Hippocrates of Cos