Author Topic: Zealot by Reza Aslan  (Read 432 times)

Offline Foxy Freedom

• Reader
  • Darwins +112/-12
  • Why is it so difficult to say you don't know?
    • Foxy Freedom on Doctor Who
Zealot by Reza Aslan
« on: September 23, 2013, 07:59:08 AM »
One of the best researched books on Jesus ever written has recently appeared.

It shows Jesus as a man in his time not as a God. Christians have reacted strongly against it but it is must for anyone who wants to know about a man in his background and the later development of myths about him.

One Christian has even made a feeble attempt to discredit the book on a news channel (video now online) by saying that there is too much research in the book and it could not have been done. He is behind the times. Computer searching and reference tools make it possible to find much more than previously.

Atheists should enjoy the book. Whenever I have to recommend a book to anyone from now on, Christian or not, this will be the book.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 09:32:32 AM by Foxy Freedom »
The Foxy Freedom antitheist website is http://the6antitheist6guide6.blogspot.co.uk

The 2nd edition of the free ebook Devil or Delusion ? The danger of Christianity to Democracy Freedom and Science.       http://t.co/2d1KcJ9V

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +192/-8
Re: Zealot by Reza Aslan
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2013, 11:16:09 AM »
It was written by a Muslim so how could he know anything? ;)
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +354/-85
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2013, 11:43:38 AM »
It was written by a Muslim so how could he know anything? ;)

Well, if a Muslim wrote it of course it wouldn't be a 'Christian' version since they only saw Jesus as a prophet rather than the son of Bibledouche, or being Bibledouche.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Offline Foxy Freedom

• Reader
  • Darwins +112/-12
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2013, 03:23:50 PM »
The reason that it is so good is that he is able to look at it from the outside, but it is not a Muslim version of Jesus. For example the crucifixion is an important part of the book but Muslims deny the crucifixion. To say that he could not do good research because he is a Muslim is wrong. He could have changed his mind during the research if the facts had supported Christianity and in fact he was a Christian for time. Honest researchers will change their opinion according to what they find. Beware of people who refuse to change their mind.
The Foxy Freedom antitheist website is http://the6antitheist6guide6.blogspot.co.uk

The 2nd edition of the free ebook Devil or Delusion ? The danger of Christianity to Democracy Freedom and Science.       http://t.co/2d1KcJ9V

Offline xaouna

• Novice
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2014, 10:42:48 PM »
I felt very well at this time.

Offline puffdaddy

• Student
  • Darwins +0/-9
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2014, 11:10:47 PM »
It is true Jesus was a man.  God in the flesh. In the flesh meaning he loved us enough to come down to live as a mortal being like us and have human feelings like us and suffer like us.  The bible is a fucking history book people same as the ones you read about in the near past and claim to be gospel

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +819/-6
  • If you are religious, you are misconcepted
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2014, 11:16:17 PM »
The bible is history the way fox news is an information source for current events.
Jesus, the cracker flavored treat!

Offline puffdaddy

• Student
  • Darwins +0/-9
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2014, 11:45:23 PM »
hmm parking places could you suggest a good history book that i can believe is true please?

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +819/-6
  • If you are religious, you are misconcepted
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2014, 11:49:20 PM »
No, actually I can't. It seems that all histories are distorted by the cultures that create them. Winners write much different stories than the losers would, if the losers were, you know, still alive.

So no history is accurate enough to be called absolutely true. And some are absolutely false. I'd give one really good example, but you'd probably take it real personal, so I'll pass.
Jesus, the cracker flavored treat!

Offline puffdaddy

• Student
  • Darwins +0/-9
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2014, 11:57:32 PM »
promise i wont take it personal....what is it?

Offline Foxy Freedom

• Reader
  • Darwins +112/-12
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2014, 12:17:49 AM »
hmm parking places could you suggest a good history book that i can believe is true please?

Any history book which claims it is "true" as in "the ultimate truth" is just delusion or propaganda. You are using the wrong criteria to distinguish good history from bad history. Good history must begin with accurate facts.