Author Topic: A Thought about Genesis  (Read 3027 times)

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +655/-28
  • Karma mooch
Re: A Thought about Genesis
« Reply #87 on: October 01, 2013, 11:39:25 AM »
I had an eerily similar conversation with a pastor a couple days ago.  He knew my atheistic stance and went so far as to say he "really respected me for taking a difficult stance." Furthermore, when we spoke briefly of the Genesis story, he essesntially said he had rejected all the "tall tales in the Bible and could only hang his hat on Jesus" (really, he said that - I wanted to ask, "On what, a nail?") and the resurrection.  I was really confused, and I asked how he could logically reject the "tall tales" but cling to perhaps the tallest of them all - that a guy had died, been resurrected and somehow took on your sins - and disappeared....

There was a member here long ago named DTE.[1]  He was a trained theologian who became an atheist and was pure awesome.  He coined the term "SPAG".  He also made a brilliant post about how xians must take the OT literally, because jesus H did.

Jesus H depends on Eve and her slow witted mate.  jesus H depends on Noah and his floating zoo.  jesus H depends on all that being literally true.   I'd link to the old forum, where it was posted, but that is now inaccessable.  I think I have it saved on a word doc.  If I do, I'll post it and link it here.

edit: DTE: No Noah? No Christ
 1. real name: Vince Skolny, I think
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 11:49:03 AM by screwtape »
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #88 on: October 01, 2013, 12:37:28 PM »
Screw,

Thanks for the link.  It summarizes what has been going through my head since chatting with the pastor (not the pastor of the church I used to attend, but one of the underlackeys).  We are going to meet again for coffeee, at his request, since he claimed we had a lot in common in our views and should talk more (?!?!).  He promised not to try to convert me, or reconvert me... and I promised not to believe anything he said based on goddidit, magic, or words in a book.  What a deal.  I fully intend to dive into how he cannot believe some of the foundational tall tales, yet believe the jeezus stuff.  I suspect someone will be tossed out of Starbucks before the night is done.
If xian hell really exists, the stench of the burning billions of us should be a constant, putrid reminder to the handful of heavenward xians how loving your god is.  - neopagan

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +655/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #89 on: October 01, 2013, 12:59:48 PM »
but one of the underlackeys

acceptable terms are minion, acolyte, flunky, or toady.

Sounds like fun.  This guy might be an atheist putting out feelers.  It is funny how similar this is to closet-gay hook-ups.  Did you first meet him at a highway rest stop?
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #90 on: October 01, 2013, 01:00:57 PM »
^^^ bingo, he had a really wide stance
If xian hell really exists, the stench of the burning billions of us should be a constant, putrid reminder to the handful of heavenward xians how loving your god is.  - neopagan

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +257/-7
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #91 on: October 01, 2013, 01:11:08 PM »
Screw,

Thanks for the link.  It summarizes what has been going through my head since chatting with the pastor (not the pastor of the church I used to attend, but one of the underlackeys).  We are going to meet again for coffeee, at his request, since he claimed we had a lot in common in our views and should talk more (?!?!).  He promised not to try to convert me, or reconvert me... and I promised not to believe anything he said based on goddidit, magic, or words in a book.  What a deal.  I fully intend to dive into how he cannot believe some of the foundational tall tales, yet believe the jeezus stuff.  I suspect someone will be tossed out of Starbucks before the night is done.

See that bolded part....they say that. They often don't mean that.
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #92 on: October 01, 2013, 01:17:43 PM »
Screw,

See that bolded part....they say that. They often don't mean that.

If that $hit happened, I told him I'd be outta there faster than a barista at an anti-face piercing rally