Author Topic: Gas Updates  (Read 1810 times)

Offline MadBunny

• Fellow
  • Darwins +110/-0
  • Fallen Illuminatus
Re: Gas Updates
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2013, 12:51:24 AM »
In LA our prices have been hovering around $4 a gallon for a while now.

The fact that gas prices have been stagnant this long, is due mainly to the boom in shale fracking and plentiful natural gas.  When oil is refined, the process used to refine it, called 'cracking' needs a lot of heat, normally refineries would use oil to crack the oil and make gasoline, but for obvious reasons that uses up a lot of oil resources. 

Natural gas alleviates that problem resulting in lower overall refinery costs for oil.  As a nation we actually produce so much fuel that simply putting it on the market domestically would drastically reduce fuel prices, and as an end result 'profit' for the oil companies.  As such it turns out that we actually export much of the fuel we refine to other countries.  We export more than we import.

I would guess that fuel prices will remain reasonably stagnant, or rise within normal variance for a while with the occasional manufactured spike in prices until the NG/Oil dynamic changes.

The truth is, when that dynamic changes I'm guessing it's going to hit like the hammer of Thor if we don't upgrade our infrastructure, fuel standards and transportation system while we have this reprieve.  I can't say to much for other states but California has been pretty heavily investing in clean power technology and hybrid cars for a while now.  I have a sneaky suspicion that we'll have a better buffer than some other states for the future.

In my own case, I got my wife a Volt, it gets her an average of about 140mpg so fuel price fluctuations don't really hit us all that much anyway.
Give a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night.  Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +180/-8
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2013, 06:56:56 AM »
Is the Volt all electric or like a Prius and can go both ways?
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline MadBunny

• Fellow
  • Darwins +110/-0
  • Fallen Illuminatus
« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2013, 01:40:16 PM »
It has a gas engine, but a substantially larger battery than the standard Prius.  It uses the battery up first, then switches to gas.  drive less than the range before recharge and obviously zero fuel gets used.  We pay about 30 bucks a month total for the extra electricity.

Typically the battery is good for about 40-ish miles depending on terrain, speed and driving style.
It's nice and torquey, and has decent acceleration, feels comparable to a 250-300hp car of similar size.  Interestingly, there are other cost savings that come from having an electric car... no tune ups, no warming the car up in the mornings, brakes last a lot longer, no oil changes etc..   

She's driven it about 20k miles now and haven't had to service it once for any of that stuff.

This is from a while back, but it's pretty consistent with my wife's daily driving.  (six gallon gas tank)

There are actually several cars on the market that get around 100mpg-ish depending on your driving style.  The new Prius hybrid has as larger battery, there is a Honda Accord hybrid, and interestingly enough the new Malibu uses a passive hybrid system.  (they're calling it 'mild hybrid', and I think it represents an interesting direction.)

Truthfully I suspect this is the next true iteration of cars.  It won't bring down the price of fuel as demand is still strong both here and overseas, but it will reduce overall consumption, and as a pleasant byproduct, pollution.

Give a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night.  Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +128/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2013, 03:32:51 PM »
I was told by a GM tech to wait until the next model of Volt is released because it will be able to go 100 miles on a charge. That would be awfully tempting.
John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Offline MadBunny

• Fellow
  • Darwins +110/-0
  • Fallen Illuminatus
« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2013, 04:00:28 PM »
Sounds like a bit of wishful thinking unless they're either drastically increasing battery capacity.

The existing ones are neutered by about 20% to protect longevity, and the 2013 models get about 3-5 miles over their earlier counterparts with just software updates... but even if you add up the 7% improvement to the full KWH capacity of the battery that comes to around 75 miles..    Doable I guess.

The volt gets 3 miles per kwh off the battery, and it's a 13.x kwh... you'd need to double the size of the battery if the same charge cap is in place.  It's basically what Tesla did.

I'd be happy with a 100 mile battery, my wife's commute is about 70 miles so we'd go to zero gas on most days.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +180/-8
« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2013, 04:29:14 PM »
MB, what do you plug it into at home?  A regular socket or  Did you have to have something special installed at home to charge it?

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +308/-82
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2013, 04:46:43 PM »
I like the smell of gas in the morning.

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +180/-8
« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2013, 04:55:08 PM »
I like the smell of gas in the morning.

-Nam
It makes your sheets go up and down.

Offline MadBunny

• Fellow
  • Darwins +110/-0
  • Fallen Illuminatus
« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2013, 05:09:44 PM »
MB, what do you plug it into at home?  A regular socket or  Did you have to have something special installed at home to charge it?

We have a 240v charger in the garage, gives us a full charge in about 4 hours.  In our case the city of LA has/had a subsidy program that was good for about $2,000 to install a fixed unit and separate meter for the car.  That's how I know exactly how much it costs us.

Failing that there is an adapter that you can use to just plug it into a regular socket, though if your electricity is 120 it'll take a bit longer.

The one that comes with the car looks like this

We just leave it in the boot.  Honestly straight gas, with zero charge gets just around 50mpg so if we forget to charge it, or take a trip it's not really that big of a deal.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +180/-8
« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2013, 06:36:32 AM »
This morning (10-3-2013) under 3 bucks for gas...$2.99.  See !!! Prayer works...just took a long time. ;)

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
« Reply #39 on: October 07, 2013, 08:23:09 PM »
Yeah, Nick, I saw $2.98 a few days ago. Unfortunately it was during my trip south and I didn't need gas at the time.
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +180/-8
« Reply #40 on: October 07, 2013, 09:20:22 PM »
Saw $2.95 here today.

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +308/-82
« Reply #41 on: October 07, 2013, 10:45:48 PM »
Saw $2.95 here today.

I got gas today at $3.40. I blame you.

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline Willie

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +72/-1
« Reply #42 on: October 07, 2013, 11:23:47 PM »
I got some for $2.93 today. That was the Sam's Club member price, so one should probably not consider it a representative sample. Still, Sam's is typically only about a nickel lower than the best non-membership prices in the area, and occasionally even gets undercut, so it's probably not much of an outlier.

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +308/-82
« Reply #43 on: October 08, 2013, 10:14:32 AM »
I got some for $2.93 today. That was the Sam's Club member price, so one should probably not consider it a representative sample. Still, Sam's is typically only about a nickel lower than the best non-membership prices in the area, and occasionally even gets undercut, so it's probably not much of an outlier.

That should trickle down south already. I live 9 miles away from the nearest gas station.

-Nam

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +180/-8
« Reply #44 on: October 21, 2013, 04:46:33 PM »
$2.89 today!!! :)  10-21-13

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +308/-82
« Reply #45 on: October 22, 2013, 01:09:44 AM »
10/22/13 - $3.38-$3.48. However in the next city over (south) $3.16-$3.19.

I guess it sucks where I live.

-Nam

Offline Dante

• Reader
  • Darwins +72/-9
  • Hedonist Extraordinaire
« Reply #46 on: October 22, 2013, 02:43:02 PM »
$3.22 in CO
Actually it doesn't. One could conceivably be all-powerful but not exceptionally intelligent.

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #47 on: October 22, 2013, 04:33:52 PM »
$2.94 today in Oklahoma.  Praise Thor
If xian hell really exists, the stench of the burning billions of us should be a constant, putrid reminder to the handful of heavenward xians how loving your god is.  - neopagan

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +180/-8
« Reply #48 on: October 22, 2013, 05:37:35 PM »
Hey, I just saw where gay marriage was taking place in Oklahoma on Indian reservations, so gas prices are sure to go thru the roof now.

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +308/-82
« Reply #49 on: October 22, 2013, 06:19:31 PM »
Hey, I just saw where gay marriage was taking place in Oklahoma on Indian reservations, so gas prices are sure to go thru the roof now.

Kansas will put a stop to it[1].

-Nam
 1. if you don't get that, I can't help you

Offline rev45

• Reader
  • Darwins +37/-2
  • Did your parents raise you to be an idiot?
« Reply #50 on: October 22, 2013, 06:53:54 PM »
$3.17 in Springfield, IL
Here read a book.  It's free.
http://www.literatureproject.com/

Could a being create the fifty billion galaxies, each with two hundred billion stars, then rejoice in the smell of burning goat flesh?   Ron Patterson

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +180/-8
« Reply #51 on: October 31, 2013, 03:56:30 PM »
$2.79 today. :)  Does Obama get credit when gas goes down?

Offline MadBunny

• Fellow
  • Darwins +110/-0
  • Fallen Illuminatus
« Reply #52 on: October 31, 2013, 04:20:59 PM »
Oddly enough, though I hear Republicans blaming President Obama every time it goes up... they never seem to get around to thanking him for it going down.

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +308/-82
« Reply #53 on: October 31, 2013, 06:11:21 PM »
$2.79 today. :)  Does Obama get credit when gas goes down?

Not where I live in Florida where the avg is still $3.40.

-Nam

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #54 on: October 31, 2013, 06:18:08 PM »
$2.75 today. Lowest I have seen it here in Oklahoma for awhile.
If xian hell really exists, the stench of the burning billions of us should be a constant, putrid reminder to the handful of heavenward xians how loving your god is.  - neopagan

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +175/-73
« Reply #55 on: October 31, 2013, 06:24:26 PM »
In case you're interested, gas (we call it petrol) where I live is the equivalent of $5.70 per gallon. Thankfully I don't pay to fill my car up.
The 2010 world cup was ruined for me by that slippery bastard Paul.

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #56 on: October 31, 2013, 06:28:09 PM »
MM1,
You need to explain that one (don't pay to fill up), or I will be forced to make a bad joke.

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +175/-73
« Reply #57 on: October 31, 2013, 06:29:17 PM »
Its a work vehicle. I just wave a fleet card and walk away smiling.
The 2010 world cup was ruined for me by that slippery bastard Paul.