Author Topic: Gas Updates  (Read 1580 times)

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
Gas Updates
« on: September 21, 2013, 09:55:16 AM »
Gas in my area this morning was $3.15.  Seems to be dropping a few cents each day.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +722/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
Re: Gas Updates
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2013, 10:12:51 AM »
Nick,

If I send you an empty can, could you fill it and ship it back to me?

Our prices are dropping around here (Montana) too, but so far they've only fallen from $3.69 to $3.62. While technically that is progress, it means that I save about a dollar on a tank of gas, and that isn't quite enough to have me weeping for joy.
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2013, 11:31:55 AM »
I think its about $3.39 here. Definitely seeing a downward trend, though it seems to bounce around a lot.
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +503/-17
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2013, 01:10:01 PM »
Here in southern England, regular is $8.24/US gallon. This is considered pretty normal and we still get around.

You all realise, don't you, that, to us in Europe, this thread is equivalent to several western millionaires sitting in the middle of a refugee camp in East Africa discussing how outrageous the price of foie gras and bottle of Bollinger has become... just sayin'
RELIGION, n. A daughter of Hope and Fear, explaining to Ignorance the nature of the Unknowable. Ambrose Bierce

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +297/-82
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2013, 09:58:02 PM »
Gas in my area this morning was $3.15.  Seems to be dropping a few cents each day.

I was in Valdosta, Georgia the other day and most gas stations were between $3.15 and $3.29 except one place that was $3.98.

However, where I live just across the border in Florida, the average is 40¢ more a gallon.

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +722/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2013, 10:37:31 PM »
Here in southern England, regular is $8.24/US gallon. This is considered pretty normal and we still get around.

You all realise, don't you, that, to us in Europe, this thread is equivalent to several western millionaires sitting in the middle of a refugee camp in East Africa discussing how outrageous the price of foie gras and bottle of Bollinger has become... just sayin'

If gas cost that much in this country, we would grind to an immediate halt. Not that that would be a bad thing, but it would be hard on our morale. And pocketbook. America is just plain bigger than Europe, and the state I live in, Montana, is three times the size of England. A friend of mine just got back from bidding on a job 600 miles from here. And still in Montana. He had to drive over, assess the job, come up with a bid, give it to the owners, and drive back home to work on other jobs in the meantime. His business is not one that can always be done locally (not enough work), and if someone in Homestead, Montana (the place he had to go) wants the type of service my friend provides, there is nowhere local for them to go. So someone has to do some driving. The same homeowner also is getting bids from people who live in Wyoming and Colorado.

Until I more or less stopped working in recent times, I had to travel all over the country, doing very specialized work, both because I couldn't work locally and survive, and homeowners and builders who needed the type of service I provided couldn't get it easily. I've driven east of the Mississippi as many as five times a year doing that work.

The logical thing to do would be to eliminate the type of work I did (which almost happened because of the housing bust) and get rid of the need for such a specialization. However, supply and demand are seldom willing to work with the logicians of the world. When someone with money wants something, others who want money are willing to do it. And yes, if we were paying $8.00 plus a gallon, that would definitely crunch a few wallets and make the work I did (and the similar work my friend above does) much less in demand.

This is not an excuse, it is simply the way it is in this country right now. Many of us have given up on, or at least greatly curtailed, recreational driving. When I was a kid, it was routine to "go for a drive", where Dad and Mom and my brothers and I would just get in the car and go someplace. And while I'm sure there are people who still do that, they are far fewer in number.

Gas should cost more. We should drive less. But that isn't the norm right now. And oil companies would loose a lot of money if they couldn't sell their gasoline because it cost too much.

Oh, and by the way, the main reason your gas is so much more expensive is taxes added to your fuel costs. We have them too, but not nearly as high. I believe your tax surcharge on fuel is around 60%, ours is closer to 15%. Hopefully you get something in return for all those taxes. We don't. Our roads are falling apart because we are told there isn't enough money in the government coffers to pay for all the repairs needed.
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline Bereft_of_Faith

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +39/-2
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2013, 11:29:06 PM »

American People Problems.

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2013, 09:10:54 AM »
3.05/gallon when I filled up yesterday here in Oklahoma City, OK.  I would take public transport if there was such a thing here, as I did evry day when I lived in the Wash,DC area.  Here in OK, there are a few buses downtown, but nothing anywhere else and it is a big ass sprawling state with only 3 million or so people (and more cows).

But yeah, first world problems for all of us sitting in front of computers...
If xian hell really exists, the stench of the burning billions of us should be a constant, putrid reminder to the handful of heavenward xians how loving your god is.  - neopagan

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +297/-82
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2013, 09:22:09 AM »
Found this:

http://WWW.bloomberg.com/visual-data/gas-prices/

Apparently Norway is the highest at $10.08 (sept. 3rd), and the lowest is Venezuela at $0.06 a gallon.

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +123/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2013, 10:05:08 AM »

Some of us realize it. Our public transportation system is less-developed, but if we had higher taxes on gas maybe would could afford to build a proper public transportation system. I would prefer to ride a train for longer trips, but about the only way to accomplish that is traveling from Washington DC to Boston as the northeast corridor is highly traveled. Elsewhere, traveling by train is not feasible.
John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2013, 10:13:14 AM »
Graybeard,

That's funny tying to make us think their is life outside of the US.  We all know the world ends at the East and West coasts.

Offline Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +180/-7
  • Official WWGHA Harpy, Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2013, 11:00:50 AM »
VERY slowly, there is a true rail transit system developing in (mostly central) MN. If you live even in the suburbs of the major metro area (Twin Cities) public transportation options get very limited, very quickly - you can't use what isn't available. Unless you live literally in the midst of either city, routine use of public transportation isn't even an option, although first ring suburbs can get to train stations within about 12-15 miles - but by then you could also make it into Minneapolis or St Paul so ridership is slow to grow as well. Hopefully as the stations get built in the outer ring 'burbs, it will improve.

I recently moved to a smaller college town with a good bus system, but again, it only runs inside the city limits and doesn't extend into the half-dozen other communities that encircle it. This is actually impressive for this area, but that's also driven by the huge student population (there are seven colleges here). Eventually, there will be a train that connects the St Cloud area to the Twin Cities, about 75 miles E/SE. That will make a big difference on the freeways - I'm amazed by the sheer number of people who commute that far every day for work or the other direction for school.

I was in DC a couple years ago, and was very impressed with the public transit available there. I wait patiently for my state to catch up... and it IS getting better, just very slowly.

Gas prices dropped to 3.19 - 3.24 in the Cities yesterday, should catch up outstate in a day or two.
My tolerance for BS is limited, and I use up most of it IRL.

Offline Backspace

• Reader
  • Darwins +48/-0
  • IXNAY
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2013, 05:30:34 PM »
I was driving cross country on Saturday and saw $3.07 at a truck stop in southeast Missouri.
There is no opinion so absurd that a preacher could not express it.
-- Bernie Katz

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2013, 06:55:03 PM »
I was driving cross country on Saturday and saw $3.07 at a truck stop in southeast Missouri.
Don't stop.  Keep driving if at all possible.  You are in a real bible belt area and no one there has a full set of teeth.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2013, 10:36:07 AM »
9-25-13   Got gas this morning for $3.05    That group that use to pray for gas to go lower must be at it again. ;)

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +297/-82
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2013, 02:05:24 PM »
9-25-13   Got gas this morning for $3.05    That group that use to pray for gas to go lower must be at it again. ;)

They must be only praying for it where you live. $3.40 when I was out yesterday.

-Nam

Offline rev45

• Reader
  • Darwins +37/-2
  • Did your parents raise you to be an idiot?
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2013, 04:18:39 PM »
$3.40 here in central IL.
Here read a book.  It's free.
http://www.literatureproject.com/

Could a being create the fifty billion galaxies, each with two hundred billion stars, then rejoice in the smell of burning goat flesh?   Ron Patterson

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2013, 08:57:34 PM »
$3.11 today in god's country lol
If xian hell really exists, the stench of the burning billions of us should be a constant, putrid reminder to the handful of heavenward xians how loving your god is.  - neopagan

Online sun_king

• Graduate
  • Darwins +25/-0
  • We see things not as they are, but as we are
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2013, 09:50:36 PM »
Around 5.24USD in India.

Fortunately with my office being very close to my home and my little scooter giving a very good mileage, I need about 0.4 gallons a week for my commutation.

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2013, 08:49:31 AM »
A guy I work with decided to go the scooter route.  Someone on a giant 4 wheel drive ran over him the first week he drove it to work. He has been in a wheelchair or crutches for the past 8 weeks - his wife brings him to work in their SUV now, since he cannot drive yet. 

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2013, 11:37:19 AM »
A guy I work with decided to go the scooter route.  Someone on a giant 4 wheel drive ran over him the first week he drove it to work. He has been in a wheelchair or crutches for the past 8 weeks - his wife brings him to work in their SUV now, since he cannot drive yet.
The irony on that one is all over the place.  On a bright side, at least he did not end up an amputee.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +297/-82
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2013, 12:36:04 PM »
Went out today: $3.50.

-Nam

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2013, 12:37:43 PM »
Nam, you need to stop going out - gas gods are smiting you

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +297/-82
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2013, 12:52:39 PM »
Nam, you need to stop going out - gas gods are smiting you

Read the topic I just posted, something else is smiting me, too.

;)

-Nam

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2013, 12:56:56 PM »
saw that - some bad juju around you today.  Have a virgin you could sacrifice?

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +297/-82
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2013, 01:01:11 PM »
saw that - some bad juju around you today.  Have a virgin you could sacrifice?

I wonder if PP's available?

(j/k)

-Nam

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +503/-17
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2013, 06:08:48 AM »
America is just plain bigger than Europe,
Hmmm... Although I am aware that few in Europe are really conscious of the distances in the USA, this is not really significant. I knew people who commuted 120 miles a day 5 days a week. My advice to them was to move nearer work.

Here's the US figure: http://www.businessinsider.com/vehicle-miles-driven-2013-2

From 2001 to 2009, the average annual number of vehicle miles traveled by young people (16 to 34-year-olds) decreased from 10,300 miles to 7,900 miles per capita—a drop of 23 percent.

This is correlates very well with the (US) National Household Travel Survey at http://nhts.ornl.gov/2009/pub/stt.pdf (at fig 22) that gives the general average mileage per vehicle per year in the USA as 10,088.

The UK figure given by the Department of Transport is shown is 8,500 miles per vehicle per year. This is available from an MXExcel file at https://www.gov.uk/government/statistical-data-sets/nts09-vehicle-mileage-and-occupancy

The US figure for annual vehicle mileage is thus only a little under 18% higher.

Another argument from the US that I have heard is that there are more people in rural areas: as a percentage, there probably aren't and, in any case, in the UK fuel prices in rural areas, particularly in Scotland and Wales are significantly higher than in urban areas.

Oh, and by the way, the main reason your gas is so much more expensive is taxes added to your fuel costs. We have them too, but not nearly as high. I believe your tax surcharge on fuel is around 60%, ours is closer to 15%.
The difference lies, as you say, in taxation but the effects are not as clear-cut as they may appear. The tax element is comprised of 'duty' which is unavoidable by everyone and 'tax', which is, to a certain extent, refundable for business purposes.

http://www.petrolprices.com/the-price-of-fuel.html "The graphics below explain the costs that make up the price of a litre of unleaded at 132.9p and a litre of diesel at 137.9p so you can see who’s getting the biggest slice of the petrol pie:"

Multiply by 3.8 to get the price per US gallon. :(
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 06:11:02 AM by Graybeard »
RELIGION, n. A daughter of Hope and Fear, explaining to Ignorance the nature of the Unknowable. Ambrose Bierce

Offline Backspace

• Reader
  • Darwins +48/-0
  • IXNAY
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2013, 01:45:24 PM »
Visiting down near Little Rock, AR this week I saw $3.02/gal...
There is no opinion so absurd that a preacher could not express it.
-- Bernie Katz

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +297/-82
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2013, 02:02:40 PM »
I went out today for snuss and gas prices are now $3.40-$3.50. Depending which side the gas station is on, apparently.

-Nam