Author Topic: Equality among the constitutional rights.  (Read 119 times)

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +76/-23
Equality among the constitutional rights.
« on: November 18, 2013, 05:16:45 PM »
Are our constitutionally protected rights enforced or applied equally? If not, why not?

The right to vote. Is it equally upheld throughout the land?

The right to privacy. Is it equally upheld throughout the land?

The right to bear arms. Is it equally upheld throughout the land?

What right do states have to diminish these rights? What right does the the federal government have to diminish these rights?

Are they all under attack? It seems like it to me. If one right falls, what peace of mind do I have that they all wont soon follow?
I show affection for my pets by holding them against me and whispering, "I love you" repeatedly as they struggle to break free.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +185/-8
Re: Equality among the constitutional rights.
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2013, 06:06:34 PM »
Are rights are being given/taken by corporations that run things now.  You just think you can make a difference with your vote.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +770/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
Re: Equality among the constitutional rights.
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2013, 08:43:41 PM »
Are our constitutionally protected rights enforced or applied equally? If not, why not?

The right to vote. Is it equally upheld throughout the land?
Well, it never was. Efforts to suppress the rights of minorities and anyone else who might vote democratic have been around for a long time. But the Supreme Court overturned a section of the Voting Rights Act this year, cheering up the right wing and furthering the split between parties. So no, equality is no closer, and in fact a bit further away. This is a good thing to worry about.

The right to privacy. Is it equally upheld throughout the land?
Hey, another good thing to worry about. Sadly, I dare not say a word against privacy because if anyone reads my complaint, I might disappear or be droned to death. Well, not this year. I don't think that will start happening until next June or so. No, the NSA and other agencies, going overboard via the feeding frenzy we call the "war on terror", are indeed making privacy a thing of the past. The Snowden revelations should have been a wake up call for all of us, but instead most people are either to blasé to care or too scared to say anything.

The right to bear arms. Is it equally upheld throughout the land?
i don't think this is much of an issue right now. The gun lovers want us to think that the right to own guns is on the brink of extinction. Their reasoning right now is the shortage of ammo. Which is being caused by the gun lovers who are buying up all the ammo because they think there is a shortage. But I don't think any serious effort is being made to rob enraged and frightened white men of their right to be even more obnoxious than usual. But it gives them a good reason to buy more guns. Which they think is a good thing. Talk about your vicious circle.

What right do states have to diminish these rights? What right does the the federal government have to diminish these rights?
States are supposed to be able to do their own thing, with a few exceptions. States cannot loosen federal gun laws, for instance, but they can make gun laws harsher. States can reimpose bans on abortion within state borders, though I think they have to play a lot of games with words as they write those laws. But in theory the standoff between the feds and the states is well defined by the Constitution and 200 plus years of court rulings. If questions such as these that you've asked are of incredible importance to you, you might familiarize yourself with the differences between state and federal powers so that you'll better understand why you're offended by something.

Are they all under attack? It seems like it to me. If one right falls, what peace of mind do I have that they all wont soon follow?

Everything is under attack if someone else can get rich from it or use a situation to instill yet more fear in citizens. Most pseudo vigilance in such matters is of the biased sort, with special interest groups of one sort or another, at the behest of their public relations people, attacking those issues where they don't get to be the ones controlling the situation. And as I've said before, the US no longer has any tools to solve our problems. We have disposed of them because none of us were getting our way. And what good is freedom if it means you can't have what you want? So the situation sucks big time, but at least we know that the issues that are important to any given person also describe who they really are in a nutshell. Unless, of course, we, as individuals, are similarly concerned about our own group of issues, in which case our righteousness will blind us too.

Democracy is gone. Something else if forming. But we can't complain or we will be described as part of the problem, right before we are arrested and shot.

Or, like I said, droned. I predict that within five years people will be being killed by drones in the US, regardless of the party in power. Someone prove me wrong. Please.
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.