Author Topic: Hectic and wet!  (Read 134 times)

Offline William

• Fellow
  • Darwins +92/-2
Hectic and wet!
« on: November 16, 2013, 07:22:37 AM »
The gods must be crazy and climate change is real ;D  My house, built in 1968 has never been flooded, but was flooded by stormwater last night - twice :o  I had almost got through 5 hours of cleaning up the first flood by 1am when the second flood came :o   Another few hours of sweeping ankle deep water coming in the back door straight out of the front door  >:( and then about an hour on hold to get through to the insurance guys - lucky I did hold because I got in near the top of the queue for emergency carpet guys to come - they turned up in a few hours with a giant vacuum and drying fans but took one look, mumbled something about "black water", and immediately commenced ripping out all my wall-to-wall carpets.  I spent the day moving furniture out of their way, and the last job has been pulling out all the staples left in the floor boards so we can walk around safely. 

The place is a rather damp and smelly - rain is still falling, although gently now and the drains are coping - but the house is structurally okay and we are basically safe, with dry beds, and electricity restored.   Now looking forward to the next wave of insurance assessors and contactors and the adventures they will bring ;)   Lucky this is Sydney, with good services, and only a very big storm. I cannot begin to imagine what it must be like having a house torn down by a really serious weather event like the typhoon in the Philippines. 

At last I'm trying to unwind - a gin & tonic and a quick chuckle at the latest theist absurdities should get me relaxed enough to settle and sleep.
Git mit uns

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +369/-4
  • WWGHA Member
Re: Hectic and wet!
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2013, 07:32:57 AM »
Ugh.  A well-deserved gin and tonic.  Sorry to hear of this huge disruption to your life.

But you know.  Maybe there is no climate change.  Maybe god just targeted your basement because you are a heathen and a heretic. 

If you try changing your ways, and pray really really hard, maybe new wall to wall carpet will grow where the old carpet used to be.  Try it!  If it works, post pictures.  I'm sure that all of us here will take this as a sign that we have been wrong all along, and we'll fall to our knees and accept whichever deity takes responsibility for the miracle. 

Hear that God?  This is your opportunity to prove yourself. 

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2013, 08:48:36 AM »
Keep an eye on things.  Even behind the walls where water had gotten.  Black mold is nothing you want to mess with.

It is amazing how much damage water can do.

In the US the insurance companies would try to not pay and call it an act of God.  Just tell them you are an atheist and don't believe in gods so pay up.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +643/-3
  • Entropy isn’t what it used to be
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2013, 10:57:47 AM »
Sorry you're going through this. On the bright side, this should reduce fire danger for awhile, right? Or does Australia get wet fires? Everything else is so weird down there I wouldn't be surprised.

At least your mini-disaster can be covered pretty well by insurance. But like you said, compared to the storm in the Philippines, your problems are minimal. Too bad you don't have any higher powers to thank/curse/have a drink with.  ;D

Good luck solving the real and bureaucratic problems you are now faced with.
Never trust an atom. They make up everything!

Offline wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +70/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2013, 01:24:38 PM »
Very glad you didn't have worse trouble. Keep checking for mold as Nick warned; that's been found to cause serious health problems.
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +167/-71
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2013, 07:55:28 PM »
If your insurer is less than helpful, remind them of their obligations as set out in the policy with regard to response times. I hope you're with Allianz- my experience as both a customer and industry professional is that they are the better company in Australia.
The 2010 world cup was ruined for me by that slippery bastard Paul.

Offline William

• Fellow
  • Darwins +92/-2
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2013, 09:02:06 PM »
I hope you're with Allianz- ...
MM no, I'm with the NRMA/IAG crowd.  Funny thing is I was just about to call them to find out what's happening when their customer service guy rang to ask ME what's happening! ;D
They've been okay so far - we'll see what happens when the claim tally begins - it won't be a trivial figure  :o

Most of the stormwater came in the form of a waterfall I've not seen before cascading into my backyard from two properties higher than me - both of whom have changed things recently with buildings and a pool that increase the runoff. I can see this heading for an unhappy legal dispute - why should I have to be flooded, inconvenienced, lose my no claim bonus AND have to build new drains etc because of somebody else's actions?

Anyway more heavy rain is coming now to keep my mind off legal things for the time being ;)
Git mit uns