Author Topic: Come One , Come All. The New Improved Catholic Church  (Read 487 times)

Online mrbiscoop

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +29/-2
  • Faith is not a virtue!
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
              -Emo Philips

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +267/-31
Re: Come One , Come All. The New Improved Catholic Church
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2013, 08:35:37 PM »
You know, for a pope, I do like what this guy has been doing.
The highest moral human authority is copied by our Gandhi neurons through observation.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2013, 09:45:31 PM »
Yes, he does seem to care for each person for who they are and wants to bring the church to that.  Put he is fighting a long tradition and the church is powerful and rich.  He can be stopped if he crosses to many "red" lines. ;)
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Aaron123

• Fellow
  • Darwins +77/-1
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2013, 12:53:55 AM »
Nice, but... so far, it's just words.  I'll be much more impressed when actual progress is made.
Being a Christian, I've made my decision. That decision offers no compromise; therefore, I'm closed to anything else.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +618/-23
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2013, 08:39:56 AM »
Rod Dreher's take
http://www.theamericanconservative.com/dreher/a-pope-francis-question/

short version: all the other recent popes have said the same thing, the media just focused on teh gehy.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +257/-7
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2013, 01:07:47 PM »
Rod Dreher's take

short version: all the other recent popes have said the same thing, the media just focused on teh gehy.

in other words; A lie.
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +257/-7
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2013, 01:13:01 PM »
Rod Dreher's take

in other words; A lie by "the american conservative." how very not unusual.
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2013, 01:25:00 PM »
Nice, but... so far, it's just words.  I'll be much more impressed when actual progress is made.

Me too. He's talking a (relatively) good game, but its not yet clear whether its mostly media spin to make him sound better than he is.
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2013, 02:11:45 PM »
Do most catholics (in the developed world) even pay that much attention to what the guy says?  I mean the catholics who are using birth control, skipping church most Sundays and never showing up for confession.  My in-laws are cultural catholics, and they pretty much disregard what the pope says, but still had a fit when I was not catholic and married their baby girl years ago...
Now baby girl has a fit I'm not xian... karma is a bitch, eh?
If xian hell really exists, the stench of the burning billions of us should be a constant, putrid reminder to the handful of heavenward xians how loving your god is.  - neopagan

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +618/-23
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2013, 02:49:20 PM »
in other words; A lie by "the american conservative." how very not unusual.

I read their site daily.  I don't find them to be liars.  I disagree with them on quite a number of ideas, but these guys are not Fox or Breitbart or Beck.  They are actual conservatives, not republicans.  In fact, they began during the early going in Iraq as an anti-war alternative to the usual GOP screaming heads. 

I at least respect most of their contributors.  There are exceptions. One is Pat Buchanan.  About once a quarter though, he writes an OP-ED that surprises me in a good way. 

The other is Dreher, whom I detest.  He is a religious fanatic who is smart enough to know how to argue, but makes all the comical errors we see here by xians.  Only on the AC site, he moderates his own statements section.  So he gets away with every fallacy and stupid argument and rejects about half of my contributions.  I do not think he could hack it here. 

Overall, however, I think it is a very good site.  Millman and Larrison are both pretty good.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2013, 03:04:22 PM »
Do most catholics (in the developed world) even pay that much attention to what the guy says?  I mean the catholics who are using birth control, skipping church most Sundays and never showing up for confession.  My in-laws are cultural catholics, and they pretty much disregard what the pope says, but still had a fit when I was not catholic and married their baby girl years ago...
Now baby girl has a fit I'm not xian... karma is a bitch, eh?
The term you are looking for is "cafeteria Catholics".  You pick and choose what you want while still acting like you buy it all.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2013, 03:12:07 PM »
^^^  I've also heard it called "little c" and "big C" catholicism...
If xian hell really exists, the stench of the burning billions of us should be a constant, putrid reminder to the handful of heavenward xians how loving your god is.  - neopagan

Online Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +174/-6
  • Official WWGHA Harpy, Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2013, 08:12:42 PM »
^^^A friend of mine refers to them as "CEO Catholics", as in "Christmas & Easter Only". Always makes me chuckle a bit.

My tolerance for BS is limited, and I use up most of it IRL.

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2013, 01:10:23 PM »
This new pope sure likes hanging out with atheists...

Pope Francis cranked up his charm offensive on the world outside the Vatican on Tuesday, saying in the second widely shared media interview in two weeks that each person “must choose to follow the good and fight evil as he conceives them” and calling efforts to convert people to Christianity “solemn nonsense.”
http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/on-faith/pope-francis-stirs-debate-yet-again-with-interview-with-an-atheist-italian-journalist/2013/10/01/9e7a6790-2acb-11e3-97a3-ff2758228523_print.html

Offline jynnan tonnix

• Reader
  • Darwins +81/-1
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2013, 08:45:53 PM »
I didn't see this thread when it first came up, but it was about then that I had a really good talk about religion with my husband, who usually doesn't want any part of such discussions.

We were both brought up Catholic, but both more or less jettisoned anything like letting faith have any real influence on day-to-day living pretty early on. Where I found the whole process to be rather interesting and sought to read and discuss all those questions, though, he had dug himself a little hole wherein he still believed in god; would probably have continued going to church at least some of the time, and didn't want to explore his actual thoughts on the subject because (I think) it might have necessitated his admitting that he didn't know the answers to things like where the world came from, and he's just that sort of A personality engineering type who gets very nervous when he doesn't have all the answers. The god of the gaps saved him from that, and I think that was basically the only god he really cared about.

But, at any rate, we were talking about the new Pope, and my husband is very impressed with him so far. I have been cautiously optimistic myself that he (the Pope) might actually have something like a Universalist streak in him, though I suspect it's mostly rhetoric at this point. I'm not ready to head back to the church or anything, but it would be nice if some of it actually started rubbing off here and there. I could probably manage a Universalist  church if I had to be in some kind of one.

Anyway, point being that somehow the conversation turned to this website, which he's sort of been aware of as something I participate in, which is anti-religion, but he's never cared enough to find out more about it. But I explained the premise behind the name, and it was as though he simply had never thought of it in those terms...he spent some time actually expounding on how much sense it made.

I don't expect you will find him as a member anytime soon...religious debate is still just not something he is comfortable with, but I'm thinking that this conversation may have put another chink in what is already little more than nominal Christianity.