Author Topic: Alien Bugs are here...  (Read 722 times)

Offline Jontom10

• Graduate
  • Darwins +14/-0
Alien Bugs are here...
« on: September 19, 2013, 12:21:35 PM »
Hasa Diga Eebowai

Offline Dante

• Reader
  • Darwins +76/-9
  • Hedonist Extraordinaire
Re: Alien Bugs are here...
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2013, 12:28:34 PM »
This could be a very big find. I wonder what the creationists will say if it proves to be true.
Actually it doesn't. One could conceivably be all-powerful but not exceptionally intelligent.

Offline Boots

• Reader
  • Darwins +101/-0
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2013, 12:38:07 PM »
A couple of statements jumped out to me as suspect...

"Our conclusion then is that life is continually arriving to Earth from space, life is not restricted to this planet and it almost certainly did not originate here"

I think he meant "did not originate *exclusively* here" or "may not have originated here"

"If life does continue to arrive from space then we have to completely change our view of biology and evolution"

Why?  I mean, it could explain the origin of life on this planet, but why would it change our view of evolution?
It's one of the reasons I'm an atheist today.  I decided to take my religion seriously, and that's when it started to fall apart for me.
~jdawg70

Offline jaimehlers

• Professor
  • Darwins +599/-19
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2013, 12:41:03 PM »
^Because if life is continually arriving on Earth from outer space, then it would affect evolution as well.

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +265/-8
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2013, 12:46:12 PM »
'Alien Bugs' Discovered In Earth's Atmosphere

http://news.sky.com/story/1143906/alien-bugs-discovered-in-earths-atmosphere

Color me skeptical. Did no one consider that these are amalgums of smaller particles that are found that high up? That part of the stratosphere does support bacterial life, so why not a herefore undiscovered ecosystem? Wouldn't that be the smallest leap of reason, rather than drawing the conclusion of exobiology?
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Offline Boots

• Reader
  • Darwins +101/-0
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2013, 01:57:34 PM »
^Because if life is continually arriving on Earth from outer space, then it would affect evolution as well.

I'm not sure I agree with that.  The initial "seeding" I can see.  But once life is established and chugging along, I don't see the occasional ship-drop of a handful of bugs as affecting the evolutionary process.  Unless we're talking significant infusions of life--but I don't get that impression--I doubt the newcomers would be capable of effectively competing with an existing ecosystem.

Please, argue against me, this is fascinating!!
It's one of the reasons I'm an atheist today.  I decided to take my religion seriously, and that's when it started to fall apart for me.
~jdawg70

Offline Fiji

• Reader
  • Darwins +97/-2
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2013, 01:23:31 AM »
Why would they leap to alien bug as an explanation? There is this stuff floating around: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aeroplankton

So, my initial reaction to findings like these would be, hey, we found a new species of aeroplankton.
Also, why publish anything at all, BEFORE checking the DNA of these things? (which is apparently what they did)

You have ostrich-sized-egg on your face when you need to change your tune from "Invasion of alien body-snatching puppetmaster bugs!" to "yeah, we found a new kind of aphid"
Science: I'll believe it when I see it
Faith: I'll see it when I believe it

Schrodinger's thunderdome! One cat enters and one MIGHT leave!

Without life, god has no meaning.

Offline Mrjason

• Reader
  • Darwins +103/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2013, 06:17:03 AM »
<snip>why publish anything at all, BEFORE checking the DNA of these things? (which is apparently what they did)

Funding

Offline Fiji

• Reader
  • Darwins +97/-2
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2013, 06:35:49 AM »
I ... suppose ... that might be the case.
Except that the sponsors might catch some of that ostrich egg splatter. This seems like an excelent way to LOSE funding.
Plus, here we have astronomers publish on the topic of ... biology ... what?
Science: I'll believe it when I see it
Faith: I'll see it when I believe it

Schrodinger's thunderdome! One cat enters and one MIGHT leave!

Without life, god has no meaning.

Offline Mrjason

• Reader
  • Darwins +103/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2013, 07:37:54 AM »
I ... suppose ... that might be the case.
Except that the sponsors might catch some of that ostrich egg splatter. This seems like an excelent way to LOSE funding.

As they're in the UK it will probably be a public body that provides the funding, if they're getting a proposal in at the end of the financial year they'll probably get funded as the government works on a "spend it or loose it" policy when allocating budget.

They still won't support my "history of beer research" though :( - basic premise they fund me to buy beer and I make it history.

Plus, here we have astronomers publish on the topic of ... biology ... what?

thats no stranger than the UK's pinup-boy physicist writing and presenting (badly) on the topic of biology

Offline Foxy Freedom

• Reader
  • Darwins +112/-12
  • Why is it so difficult to say you don't know?
    • Foxy Freedom on Doctor Who
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2013, 09:40:36 AM »
Poor research.

Why are there so many of them and yet no evidence of divergent DNA appears in life on earth. Are they alive or dead? How does their DNA compare to known life. Why is it more likely they were lifted off an alien planet if they cannot be lifted from the earth by the atmosphere?

I bet someone will come up with the obvious answer. They were contamination left by visiting UFO's.
The Foxy Freedom antitheist website is http://the6antitheist6guide6.blogspot.co.uk

The 2nd edition of the free ebook Devil or Delusion ? The danger of Christianity to Democracy Freedom and Science.       http://t.co/2d1KcJ9V

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +192/-8
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2013, 01:54:21 PM »
Is there a specific can of Raid for that?   Space Raiders perhaps?
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2013, 02:35:20 PM »
I bet someone will come up with the obvious answer. They were contamination left by visiting UFO's.

So, Earth was kind of like a rest stop where the aliens dumped their trash, took a pee, and grabbed some pecan logs before moving on to their destination?
If xian hell really exists, the stench of the burning billions of us should be a constant, putrid reminder to the handful of heavenward xians how loving your god is.  - neopagan

Offline Mrjason

• Reader
  • Darwins +103/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2013, 04:30:27 AM »

So, Earth was kind of like a rest stop where the aliens dumped their trash, took a pee, and grabbed some pecan logs before moving on to their destination?

Yup, we're what happens to all of those eggmayo sandwiches no one ever buys.