Author Topic: Why doesn't the media talk more about the damage that religions create?  (Read 545 times)

Offline Lectus

• Graduate
  • Darwins +17/-0
  • The messiah of mental freedom
For instance the sexual repression can create profound trauma in people.

I've heard some Jehovah Witnesses that had panic attacks after sex because they felt so guilt.

I wonder how this really important subject isn't talked more on the media.
Religion: The belief that an all powerful God or gods created the entire universe so that we tiny humans can be happy. And we also make war about it.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
Re: Why doesn't the media talk more about the damage that religions create?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2013, 03:54:57 PM »
Because media does nothing to cause waves anymore or piss off the viewing audience.  Unless you are FOX and they are just bat ass crazy.

The new Al Jazzera  America network has more real news and good researched stories than any news media in the states.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +174/-6
  • Official WWGHA Harpy, Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2013, 04:27:20 PM »
Follow the money.

Sadly, this is the answer to a lot of questions.
My tolerance for BS is limited, and I use up most of it IRL.

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +782/-4
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2013, 04:33:43 PM »
The media is not liberal, even though Fox news has repeated it so often that most people believe it. The media is a business, and since the loss of the fairness doctrine, does not even have to pretend to report real news or tell people anything that they need to know. Since most people in the US are at least vaguely Christian, don't analyze or criticize their religion. Don't tell people anything that will make them think or might make them uncomfortable. They could turn the channel!

It's all about the bottom line, which means make sure there are bottoms lining the chairs in front of the screen for the advertisers. That's all that counts. "Reality" tv and sitcoms are cheap to produce and get ratings. Skip international news because it costs too much money. News is just another show.

Don't explain what the Obamacare legislation is and how it will help people. Just report what various pundits say about Obamacare, whether it is true or not. Courts have upheld the right of news programs like Fox to knowingly lie to their audience. Forget about giving factual information to the public so we have a knowledgeable citizenry--that's so 18th century.  &)

Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +174/-6
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2013, 04:50:42 PM »
"Courts have upheld the right of news programs like Fox to knowingly lie to their audience."

I might be misremembering this but I think I read somewhere that it's acceptable because Fox "News" is owned by the entertainment segment of the parent company, not the media (or maybe it was publishing?) segment. That's how they are able to spout utter crap all day long - by definition, their programming is supposed to be "entertainment".

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +290/-80
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2013, 10:39:41 PM »
The media is not liberal, even though Fox news has repeated it so often that most people believe it. The media is a business, and since the loss of the fairness doctrine, does not even have to pretend to report real news or tell people anything that they need to know. Since most people in the US are at least vaguely Christian, don't analyze or criticize their religion. Don't tell people anything that will make them think or might make them uncomfortable. They could turn the channel!

It's all about the bottom line, which means make sure there are bottoms lining the chairs in front of the screen for the advertisers. That's all that counts. "Reality" tv and sitcoms are cheap to produce and get ratings. Skip international news because it costs too much money. News is just another show.

Don't explain what the Obamacare legislation is and how it will help people. Just report what various pundits say about Obamacare, whether it is true or not. Courts have upheld the right of news programs like Fox to knowingly lie to their audience. Forget about giving factual information to the public so we have a knowledgeable citizenry--that's so 18th century.  &)

Except for NBC, of course. ;)

I read about a serial killer today from the early 20th century, who ate children, and the psychiatrists, or at least one of them blamed "religious mania". The serial killer stated that his god (I think he was Jewish) told him to eat children but even if his god didn't want him to that "god" would send angels to stop him. Angels never came.

He was pronounced sane, and then electrocuted.

-Nam
This is my signature "Nam", don't I have nice typing skills?

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +290/-80
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2013, 10:41:18 PM »
"Courts have upheld the right of news programs like Fox to knowingly lie to their audience."

I might be misremembering this but I think I read somewhere that it's acceptable because Fox "News" is owned by the entertainment segment of the parent company, not the media (or maybe it was publishing?) segment. That's how they are able to spout utter crap all day long - by definition, their programming is supposed to be "entertainment".

Fox Noise is a Tabloid. All of Murdoch's newspapers, etc., are tabloids.

-Nam

Offline Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +174/-6
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2013, 09:43:08 AM »
^^^No argument from me on that. Too bad the viewers don't know that, the ignorant lemmings.

Offline Foxy Freedom

• Reader
  • Darwins +80/-11
  • Gods become obsolete all the time.
    • Foxy Freedom on Doctor Who
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2013, 10:02:50 AM »
It damages audience numbers. There are people who don't want to hear it.

In Britain the media is beginning to appreciate the damage done by religion. There are regular stories now about the activities of priests and how unnatural their attitudes are.

It was a wake up call when George Harrison was stabbed in his home by a guy who said that GOD told him to do it.
Neither Foxy Freedom nor any associates can be reached via WWGHA. Their official antitheist website is http://the6antitheist6guide6.blogspot.co.uk

The 2nd edition of the free ebook Devil or Delusion ? The danger of Christianity to Democracy Freedom and Science.       http://t.co/2d1KcJ9V

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +782/-4
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2013, 02:22:44 PM »
God is always telling people to do crazy things. Like cut off their baby's foreskin, never eat beef, never eat pork, never eat during certain hours of certain months, cover women from head to toe, spin or dance until they fall down exhausted, throw people into volcanoes, kill people who have sex with the wrong people, cut off women's private parts, close stores and offices on certain holy days, eat his son's body and drink his son's blood, never cut a man's hair or shave his beard, get down on their knees and mutter things in various languages, worship the president of Ethiopia, get blessed by an elephant, don't allow women to drive cars, don't drive cars, don't use electricity, don't use machines, smoke lots of weed, never smoke weed, never drink alcohol, don't eat spicy foods, don't eat yeast, do drink Kool-Aid with poison in it. :o

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline Angus and Alexis

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
  • Residential Tulpamancer.
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2013, 11:52:15 PM »
*To OP's question*

I assume that making a large fuss about religions, likely Christianity could cause immense sue's to occur.
Scientology did it before, and they have nowhere near the same amount of followers.
Rule 1: No pooftas. Rule 2: No maltreating the theists, IF, anyone is watching. Rule 3: No pooftas. Rule 4: I do not want to see anyone NOT drinking after light out. Rule 5: No pooftas. Rule 6: There is NO...rule 6.

Offline Benny

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +16/-1
  • Hugs And Love
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2013, 09:22:29 AM »
The Catholic League is a non-profit organization that whines about Catholic-bashing in the media.  They're a massive group representing a majority, so the media as a whole is probably scared of pissing them off.  Maybe that's why.
Gay atheist teen.  But none of that should matter.

Watch me on YouTube: youtube.com/heathenbenny

Offline Dr H

• Student
  • Darwins +14/-0
  • Irritant
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2013, 04:34:54 PM »
God is always telling people to do crazy things. Like cut off their baby's foreskin, never eat beef, never eat pork, never eat during certain hours of certain months, cover women from head to toe, spin or dance until they fall down exhausted, throw people into volcanoes, kill people who have sex with the wrong people, cut off women's private parts, close stores and offices on certain holy days, eat his son's body and drink his son's blood, never cut a man's hair or shave his beard, get down on their knees and mutter things in various languages, worship the president of Ethiopia, get blessed by an elephant, don't allow women to drive cars, don't drive cars, don't use electricity, don't use machines, smoke lots of weed, never smoke weed, never drink alcohol, don't eat spicy foods, don't eat yeast, do drink Kool-Aid with poison in it. :o

And your point is . . . ?

I mean c'mon, if God didn't tell people this stuff, who would?   ;)
Dr H

"I have nothing to say and I am saying it and that is poetry."
                                                           -- John Cage

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +782/-4
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2013, 04:51:25 PM »
I dig pagan cultures where they combine all kinds of religious stuff together with popular culture and other random sh!t. Like in India where they are building idol shrines with Harry Potter and images from Titanic. My Vietnamese friend says in her village they prayed to Jesus and Buddha before an exam. Hey, more is better, right?

Offline Dr H

• Student
  • Darwins +14/-0
  • Irritant
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2013, 05:59:02 PM »
I dig pagan cultures where they combine all kinds of religious stuff together with popular culture and other random sh!t.

Sounds like the local New Ageā„¢ community, to me.

Like in India where they are building idol shrines with Harry Potter and images from Titanic.

Now that doesn't surprise me.  They're building clothing stores to HItler in India, too:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/11/30/hitler-s-strange-afterlife-in-india.html

My Vietnamese friend says in her village they prayed to Jesus and Buddha before an exam. Hey, more is better, right?

My first Buddhism teacher described himself as a "Roman Catholic Zen Buddhist", although by the time I met him he had pretty much abandoned the RC part of that in all but name.

Dr H

"I have nothing to say and I am saying it and that is poetry."
                                                           -- John Cage

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +782/-4
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2013, 05:59:05 PM »
Considering that Hitler stole all the symbolism (swastika, etc) from India to create his Aryan fantasy to begin with, makes sense that the Indian people are taking it back. But I would feel queasy about shopping there. Just because.  :(

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +290/-80
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2013, 10:09:10 PM »
Some Native Americans also had the swastika as a symbol, and Jainists.

-Nam