Author Topic: Archaeologists may have found town named in Bible  (Read 1352 times)

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +313/-84
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Archaeologists may have found town named in Bible
« on: September 17, 2013, 05:25:32 PM »
http://usatoday.com/story/tech/2013/09/17/newser-archeologist-bible/2828549
Sometimes, archaeologists discover a sweater; other times, they uncover entire towns. The latter turns out to be the case in Israel, where a town has been found — and it could be one mentioned in a well-known Bible story. LiveScience reports that it was found along the northwest side of the Sea of Galilee, and British archaeologists suggest that it is Dalmanutha, a place that factors into the Gospel of Mark's recounting of Jesus feeding a great crowd of people with just a few fish and loaves of bread: Dalmanutha is where he briefly sailed after that miracle.

The archaeologists made their discovery during a field survey, and team lead Ken Dark theorizes it is indeed Dalmanutha, and one reason he gives is that artifacts collected there indicate it was an active city at the start of the Common Era. In a June lecture Dark gave at the University of Edinburgh, he further explained his thought process, as summarized on the blog of the Centre for the Study of Christian Origins: "It is hard to imagine that a Roman-period coastal community of this size is nowhere mentioned in textual sources, and the site might be identified with one of the unlocated toponyms known from the Bible, perhaps the Dalmanutha of Mark 8:10." (In other news in the region, archaeologists recently found a treasure trove in Jerusalem.)

Bolding mine.

Explain to me how that is evidence?

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +183/-8
Re: Archaeologists may have found town named in Bible
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 06:09:28 PM »
Look for the "Welcome To Dalmanutha" sign.  Also, if the fish fry was there, there should be trash all over the place.  You can't feed 5000 people without trash being left.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline William

• Fellow
  • Darwins +92/-2
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 07:38:39 PM »
Explain to me how that is evidence?

Easy :)
In Harry Potter there's this city called London.
That can only mean one thing - Harry Potter is true! 
Now let's all go look for Gringotts Wizarding Bank - it was left in ruins but the vaults are full of gold and the half-blind fire breathing dragon protecting it has gone  :o
Git mit uns

Offline mrbiscoop

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +31/-2
  • Faith is not a virtue!
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2013, 07:44:16 PM »
    Real cities in fictional works don't mean shit to me.
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
              -Emo Philips

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +313/-84
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2013, 07:50:32 PM »
The bolding gives evidence of it perhaps being a "thriving city", not what city it was.

I wonder if Christians will use this as a tool to say that, "See,the Bible is true"? Of course they will.

I found this researching Ken Dark: http://unsettledchristianity.com/tag/ken-dark

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline Fiji

• Reader
  • Darwins +85/-2
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2013, 07:17:50 AM »
It's like claiming Harry Potter is real because we know Tokyo exists, because when Rowling wrote Harry Potter, Tokyo also existed.
Science: I'll believe it when I see it
Faith: I'll see it when I believe it

Schrodinger's thunderdome! One cat enters and one MIGHT leave!

Without life, god has no meaning.

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +870/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2013, 06:52:27 PM »
Was it Disneyland? &)
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +313/-84
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2013, 11:42:07 PM »

Online Mrjason

• Reader
  • Darwins +90/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2013, 04:23:52 AM »
<snip>I wonder if Christians will use this as a tool to say that, "See,the Bible is true"? Of course they will.

Cool, the illiad must be true as well then http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/849
I like the greek pantheon much better than yhwh  :D

Offline Fiji

• Reader
  • Darwins +85/-2
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2013, 04:38:38 AM »
^^
You would! With a name like that.

I'm not so sure about the Greek pantheon, though, that Posseidon can be a bit of a cunt sometimes ... not to mention that, with Zeus around, no women are ever safe!

Online Mrjason

• Reader
  • Darwins +90/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2013, 04:51:56 AM »
^^
You would! With a name like that.

its a cultural thing  ;)

I'm not so sure about the Greek pantheon, though, that Posseidon can be a bit of a cunt sometimes ... not to mention that, with Zeus around, no women are ever safe!

They're not consistantly fucktards though and at least they turn up in person to nail your wife.

The major bonus (IMO) about the greek lot is that if you get sent to hell/hades you can be given a sporting chance to escape or have someone fetch you

- Iásonas

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +313/-84
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2013, 05:22:16 AM »
Maybe even bribe your way out. ;)

-Nam

Offline Brakeman

• Reader
  • Darwins +47/-3
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2013, 05:43:00 AM »
The funny part of it is that it's "proof" because so little of the bible withstands archaeological scrutiny.  Otherwise it would be unremarkable.
Furthermore, it is more remarkable that writers that lived in the middle east could be as deludedly wrong about geography as they were.
Help find the cure for FUNDAMENTIA !

Offline Fiji

• Reader
  • Darwins +85/-2
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2013, 05:53:24 AM »
at least they turn up in person to nail your wife.

- Iásonas

Judge: Yahweh Almighty, you stand accused of rape.What do you have to say for yourself.
Yahweh: It was consentual!
Judge: She was 13 at the time! She can't give consent!
Yahweh: Erm ... oooh, I know, it wasn't me, it was my spirit that did it.
Judge: Mr. Almighty, we all give nicknames to our genitals. I get it, they often seem to have a mind of their own. But you're still the one wielding it!

Maybe even bribe your way out. ;)

-Nam

Yeah, but if you're a twin, all you get is some lousy timesharing.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +313/-84
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2013, 12:19:56 PM »
But it's lake-of-fireside property! Wait, that's not right...or is it?

-Nam

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2013, 01:02:16 PM »
I've never been to a fish fry that did not have carnival games.  They will find a bunch of rubber duckies, milk bottles and stuffed pandas - then you will all feel silly   :laugh:
If xian hell really exists, the stench of the burning billions of us should be a constant, putrid reminder to the handful of heavenward xians how loving your god is.  - neopagan

Offline Energized

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +29/-1
  • Enma Ai is GOD!
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2013, 12:35:20 PM »
I wonder if Christians will use this as a tool to say that, "See,the Bible is true"? Of course they will.

That would be so stupid, though. The bible mentions other cities that are real... is there, like, a quota on how many cities need to be real for something to be true?

We could do the math.

Actually, we can't The original equation involves using PI to 7 places but the bible says PI = 3.

Ah well.

They discovered a city! The bible is true!

E.
'O pitiful shadow lost in the darkness,
Bringing torment and pain to others.
O damned soul wallowing in your sin.
Perhaps it is time to die?'

~Enma Ai, Jigoku Shoujo

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +313/-84
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2013, 11:37:16 PM »

That would be so stupid, though. The bible mentions other cities that are real... is there, like, a quota on how many cities need to be real for something to be true?

We could do the math.

Actually, we can't The original equation involves using PI to 7 places but the bible says PI = 3.

Ah well.

They discovered a city! The bible is true!

E.

I've heard the argument before by Christians. They mention that cities, buildings, rivers, even countries that existed back then still exist today therefore the Bible is true. My question was more facetious since I already knew the answer.

-Nam

Offline Foxy Freedom

• Reader
  • Darwins +96/-11
  • Why is it so difficult to say you don't know?
    • Foxy Freedom on Doctor Who
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2013, 02:14:14 PM »
Ken Dark said PERHAPS. I have known him and his work for some time. I'm not saying that archaeologists are bright but dark is fairly bright for an archaeologist. (Get the pun)

It is the write ups which are giving a false impression. The second link given by nam is to Watts who is trying to push his book so he has ulterior motives. His book sounds rubbish, if the article is anything to judge by.

I discussed the poor practices in archaeology with a previous colleague of Dark and she was purple and shaking with anger by the end of it. Yes I could actually see her shaking. I am sure she would have liked to hit me. The truth hurts more than a lie. She could not deny that archaeologists ignore the association rules and are afraid to publish raw data because Joe Public can write it up better than archaeologists can.

NASA is not afraid to publish raw data online.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 02:37:56 PM by Foxy Freedom »
Neither Foxy Freedom nor any associates can be reached via WWGHA. Their official antitheist website is http://the6antitheist6guide6.blogspot.co.uk

The 2nd edition of the free ebook Devil or Delusion ? The danger of Christianity to Democracy Freedom and Science.       http://t.co/2d1KcJ9V

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +313/-84
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2013, 02:24:19 PM »
Ken Dark said PERHAPS. I have known him and his work for some time. I'm not saying that archaeologists are bright but dark is fairly bright for an archaeologist. (Get the pun)

It is the write ups which are giving a false impression. The second link given by nam is to Watts who is trying to push his book so he has ulterior motives. His book sounds rubbish, if the article is anything to judge by.

Well, then I think everyone could take all your comments to the same extent going by your sig. See how that works? And it's "Nam", not "nam". Make the effort.

-Nam

Offline Foxy Freedom

• Reader
  • Darwins +96/-11
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2013, 02:42:43 PM »
I am not trying to make money from it. The whole point is that it is FREE. Thanks for the Ad Nam.

The reason I am here is that I hope I can help others. I decided I had to do something to publicise atheism when a school friend became mentally ill through religion and had to receive psychiatric treatment. It developed into schizophrenia and I sat with her on her bed while her family packed her things the day she was taken to an asylum. All she did that day was sit without talking. So I swore that I would do whatever I could from that day. I contacted someone with qualifications in the ancient languages and literatures to tell me the information I needed to know about the bible so that I could debate christians. On this site I have shared something of what I have learned and I would really like a chance to debate here online in writing with christians before I do any filmed debates. I have also practised live by watching Christopher Hitchens debate on YouTube by stopping the video and thinking what my reply would be before listening to Hitchens answer. I still have to practise because Christians often say unexpected irrational things. I hope you understand my reasons now.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 03:31:01 PM by Foxy Freedom »
Neither Foxy Freedom nor any associates can be reached via WWGHA. Their official antitheist website is http://the6antitheist6guide6.blogspot.co.uk

The 2nd edition of the free ebook Devil or Delusion ? The danger of Christianity to Democracy Freedom and Science.       http://t.co/2d1KcJ9V

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +313/-84
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2013, 04:01:10 PM »
As I said in my pm to you: irrelevant. His views are stated in advert to his ideas. Your sig does the same thing, whether for profit, or not.

-Nam

Offline Foxy Freedom

• Reader
  • Darwins +96/-11
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2013, 04:38:12 PM »
That is different from ulterior motives.

It is a terrible thing if you think information should not be made known and discussed. The truth comes through discussion of ideas not from hiding them.

As I said above I am here to practise debating. If any ideas provide a starting point that is a good thing as far as I am concerned.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +313/-84
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2013, 04:47:59 PM »
That is different from ulterior motives.

It is a terrible thing if you think information should not be made known and discussed. The truth comes through discussion of ideas not from hiding them.

Then you have no standing to state the guy should be taken with a grain of salt since he may or may not be promoting his book; again: whether for profit, or not.

-Nam

Offline Foxy Freedom

• Reader
  • Darwins +96/-11
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2013, 04:59:32 PM »
He has the ulterior motive of making money.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +313/-84
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2013, 05:29:46 PM »
He has the ulterior motive of making money.

Based on what you say:

It is a terrible thing if you think information should not be made known and discussed.

That is irrelevant.

-Nam

Offline Foxy Freedom

• Reader
  • Darwins +96/-11
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2013, 05:38:31 PM »
Information is not being made known if you have to pay for it. He specifically states in the article that if you want the answer you have to buy the book. (second paragraph from the end, last line)

Can't you see the difference?
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 05:43:40 PM by Foxy Freedom »

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +313/-84
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2013, 05:41:36 PM »
Information is not being made known if you have to pay for it.

Can't you see the difference?

So, those who give out "free" information do not have ulterior motives? Please, tell me: how stupid are you?

-Nam

Offline Foxy Freedom

• Reader
  • Darwins +96/-11
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2013, 05:49:11 PM »
So again you think it is a terrible thing if information is made known and discussed.