Author Topic: A-choo!  (Read 1204 times)

Offline jdawg70

• Reader
  • Darwins +376/-8
  • Ex-rosary squad
A-choo!
« on: September 17, 2013, 02:57:49 PM »
Alright.

I ask this primarily of native English speakers, but certainly anyone can chime in.

Are there any (sorta) common secular responses to a sneeze?  Yes, I get that responding to a sneeze is merely a part of the social contract and I don't actually believe someone wants me to be blessed by some higher power due to my sneeze, but I've been doing the 'Gesundheit' thing for a while now (funnily enough, probably didn't start until months had passed from my deconversion).

And 'Gesundheit' bugs me because...well, I don't really know.  Me having to steal a phrase from a language other than my native language?  I speak English for crying out loud...most of the language basically is stealing crap from other languages <insert joke regarding the British Empire or American Imperialism>.  But whatever; in any case I'd like to replace it.

From this:
http://www.noneexist.com/responsestosneezing/

I'm seriously contemplating using “The cold, vast universe is indifferent to your sneeze.” for the purpose of ironically sounding pompous and intellismart, but what secular, socially acceptable English responses are there to a sneeze that you have heard?
"When we landed on the moon, that was the point where god should have come up and said 'hello'. Because if you invent some creatures, put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, you f**king turn up and say 'well done'."

- Eddie Izzard

http://deepaksducttape.wordpress.com/

Offline jaimehlers

• Fellow
  • Darwins +563/-17
  • WWGHA Member
Re: A-choo!
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 03:11:25 PM »
"Excuse you."  Simple and straightforward.

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 03:12:35 PM »
I can't think of any. I use gesundheit.
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +258/-7
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2013, 03:42:04 PM »
Alright.

I ask this primarily of native English speakers, but certainly anyone can chime in.

Are there any (sorta) common secular responses to a sneeze?  Yes, I get that responding to a sneeze is merely a part of the social contract and I don't actually believe someone wants me to be blessed by some higher power due to my sneeze, but I've been doing the 'Gesundheit' thing for a while now (funnily enough, probably didn't start until months had passed from my deconversion).

And 'Gesundheit' bugs me because...well, I don't really know.  Me having to steal a phrase from a language other than my native language?  I speak English for crying out loud...most of the language basically is stealing crap from other languages <insert joke regarding the British Empire or American Imperialism>.  But whatever; in any case I'd like to replace it.

From this:
http://www.noneexist.com/responsestosneezing/

I'm seriously contemplating using “The cold, vast universe is indifferent to your sneeze.” for the purpose of ironically sounding pompous and intellismart, but what secular, socially acceptable English responses are there to a sneeze that you have heard?

How about no reponse, because none is needed. Or, alternatively, "can I get you a tissue?"
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2013, 03:47:00 PM »
I thought about this too... and simply saying "bless you" may indeed infer a god, it doesn't have to in my case.  Plenty say "god bless you" but, but I leave off the god.  Maybe you could go with a random list of deities... "thor bless you,"  "zeus bless you," etc? 

I think the whole concept is silly - that you are expected to respond to a sneeze, but you are right - it's part of the social contract (I never signed).  I also tend to just sneezes anymore.
If xian hell really exists, the stench of the burning billions of us should be a constant, putrid reminder to the handful of heavenward xians how loving your god is.  - neopagan

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +185/-8
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2013, 04:07:12 PM »
The term probably came from the Middle ages when the Black Death was around.  Or during one of the great flu kill offs.  It was a way of hoping you did not have something and hoping if you did God might save you.  Same with prayer before a meal.  Food safety was an issue way back.  You took your life in your hands at every meal...kind of like eating at Hardees today. ;)
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2013, 04:59:12 PM »
I usually tell the person, "get it out", "you can do it", "if you sneeze on me I will beat the shit out of you".

You know, something mundane.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Offline Odin

• Reader
  • Darwins +13/-3
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2013, 06:49:08 PM »
I use "Zeus bless you."  Because "Odin bless you" would seem sacrilegious. 

Odin, King of the Gods

Offline mrbiscoop

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +31/-2
  • Faith is not a virtue!
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2013, 07:42:24 PM »
   I don't say anything. Not a big fan of traditions and customs.
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
              -Emo Philips

Online wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +79/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2013, 07:59:10 PM »
Back when I was taking Spanish in high school and college, I got in the habit of using "Salud!" (health / good health) in response to someone sneezing. Having been an atheist for nearly 8 years now, I've gone back to that.
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +185/-8
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2013, 08:35:00 PM »
I throw salt on their tails.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2013, 09:10:10 PM »
I throw salt on their tails.

Leave my tail alone!

;)

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Offline rev45

• Reader
  • Darwins +37/-2
  • Did your parents raise you to be an idiot?
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2013, 09:46:36 PM »
If I feel that I'm in a situation where I have to say something I either say "gesundheit" or "Holy mother of all that is good and pure in the world keep your disease ridden walking copse away from my still young and virile body!!"  And yes I say it with the exclamation marks at the end. 
Here read a book.  It's free.
http://www.literatureproject.com/

Could a being create the fifty billion galaxies, each with two hundred billion stars, then rejoice in the smell of burning goat flesh?   Ron Patterson

Offline jdawg70

• Reader
  • Darwins +376/-8
  • Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2013, 10:34:26 PM »
If I feel that I'm in a situation where I have to say something I either say "gesundheit" or "Holy mother of all that is good and pure in the world keep your disease ridden walking copse away from my still young and virile body!!"  And yes I say it with the exclamation marks at the end.

rev45 wins for the latter.  I'm stealing.
"When we landed on the moon, that was the point where god should have come up and said 'hello'. Because if you invent some creatures, put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, you f**king turn up and say 'well done'."

- Eddie Izzard

http://deepaksducttape.wordpress.com/

Offline Willie

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +74/-1
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2013, 11:21:32 PM »
"Better out than in." It's more typically a response for farting or vomiting, but it seems a good fit for sneezing as well. It might produce a mental image of someone impersonating a puffer fish, though. At least it does for me.

Online Fiji

• Reader
  • Darwins +85/-2
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2013, 03:51:58 AM »
I usually tell the person, "get it out", "you can do it", "if you sneeze on me I will beat the shit out of you".

Nam, I want to cover every inch of your gorgeous body with pepper, and then sneeze all over you![1]

It never occured to me, but indeed, Dutch, German and Czech all go for wishes of good health and avoid any gods (or indeed, invisible unicorns). Don't really know what the French use but I have heared "A votre santé"[2] ... though spoken rather mockingly ... so I don't know how common it is.
 1. virtual cookie if you get it
 2. lit: to your health
Science: I'll believe it when I see it
Faith: I'll see it when I believe it

Schrodinger's thunderdome! One cat enters and one MIGHT leave!

Without life, god has no meaning.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2013, 04:45:49 AM »
I am whoregeous.

Wait, what?

-Nam

Offline Mrjason

• Reader
  • Darwins +93/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2013, 05:24:18 AM »
I generally tend to say nothing when someone else sneezes as there are other bodily functions that are more note worthy.

That is unless it's a really good sneeze that is loud/prolonged/messy.
Then an appropriate humorous comment can be made based on the situation i.e. whilst in the office " I see your work allergy has flared up again, best you go home" to friends "did you just cum?" etc... Careful to make note that not all comments are interchangeable.

I say "excuse me" as soon as I can after I sneeze, just to get some words in before I get a good blessing from a well meaning god botherer/atheist who does it out of habit.
Generally works.

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2013, 05:45:24 AM »
I also say "salud." 

My almost 7 year old daughter, however, has taken to saying "bless you."

If I decide to take her on the atheist conference circuit, I will need to address her behavior.  But as long as we find ourselves running in circles in which the secular mingle comfortably with adherents to the big three monotheistic religions, along with a smattering of Hindus and Buddhists, we are ok.

On another note, we are still working on the birthday party invite list.  Most of her close friends are not in her class this year, and she selected a classmate I don't know who she wants to invite.  I emailed the teacher, and asked her to forward the invitation to the parents of the child, since the school can't give out the email of other parents.  The parents haven't responded, so I asked my daughter if the girl's parents speak English.[1] 

She said "Yes!  They speak both English and Muslim." 
 1. A large percentage of students in my daughter's school are the children of recent immigrants.

Offline jynnan tonnix

• Reader
  • Darwins +88/-1
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2013, 06:51:01 AM »
I generally also just say "bless you". It occurs to me, though, that given how many other cultures use the same words they would in raising a glass for a toast, such as the aforementioned "salud", and the Polish "na zdrovie" (to your health!), maybe it would be appropriate to just use "cheers!".

Do they say that in England? I lived there as a kid, and have visited back a few times, but although I know "cheers" is used in response to any number of situations, I don't recall, offhand, whether a sneeze was one of them.

Online Fiji

• Reader
  • Darwins +85/-2
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2013, 06:53:35 AM »
Indeed, in Dutch, German and Czech, the same expression can be used when someone sneezes and when making a toast.

Offline Mrjason

• Reader
  • Darwins +93/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2013, 07:28:47 AM »
Do they say that in England? I lived there as a kid, and have visited back a few times, but although I know "cheers" is used in response to any number of situations, I don't recall, offhand, whether a sneeze was one of them.

Nah, its "bless you" for all religious denominations and atheists.

Cheers is interchangeable with thanks.

Offline Boots

• Reader
  • Darwins +96/-0
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2013, 07:37:59 AM »
Don't really know what the French use but I have heared "A votre santé"[1] ... though spoken rather mockingly ... so I don't know how common it is.
 1. lit: to your health

What in French is *not* spoken rather mockingly?
* Religion: institutionalized superstition, period.

"Many of my ultra-conservative Republican friends...have trouble accepting the idea God is not a Republican. " ~OldChurchGuy

"We humans may never figure out the truth, but I prefer trying to find it over pretending we know it."  ~ParkingPlaces

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +408/-5
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2013, 07:39:05 AM »
Pen Jillette apparently says "that was funny!", but that doesn't seem at all right.

PErsonally, I just go for a hearty "Bravo!" if the sneeze was a particularly loud or messy one.  If it was small or quiet or stifled, I tend just to ignore.
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?

Online Fiji

• Reader
  • Darwins +85/-2
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2013, 08:28:09 AM »
Don't really know what the French use but I have heared "A votre santé"[1] ... though spoken rather mockingly ... so I don't know how common it is.

Erm ... I don't know ... "Ne tirez pas! Nous nous rendons!" ... maybe?

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2013, 09:04:40 AM »
Maybe I should say a hearty "No" right after I sneeze, so anyone who then follows with "god bless you" will have appropriately addressed me?
If xian hell really exists, the stench of the burning billions of us should be a constant, putrid reminder to the handful of heavenward xians how loving your god is.  - neopagan

Offline Mrjason

• Reader
  • Darwins +93/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2013, 09:24:04 AM »
Maybe I should say a hearty "No" right after I sneeze, so anyone who then follows with "god bless you" will have appropriately addressed me?

If you work on it you could incorporate the "NO" into the sneeze

Offline jynnan tonnix

• Reader
  • Darwins +88/-1
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2013, 09:27:22 AM »
For some reason this all made me wonder how you sneeze in different languages. "Ah-choo!" in English, in Polish it's pronounced as, roughly, "a-psheek"...anyone know some others?

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +258/-7
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2013, 12:17:48 PM »

positive statements about France....sometimes.
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.