Author Topic: Without God, Life Has No Meaning...  (Read 22477 times)

Offline Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +198/-7
  • Official WWGHA Harpy, Ex-rosary squad
Re: Without God, Life Has No Meaning...
« Reply #435 on: October 17, 2013, 11:07:15 AM »
I miss your support and Jags.  I need all the support I can get.

The single most supportive thing I have done for you ever was to suggest, quite strongly, that you STOP posting in these topics while you are fighting cancer. I haven't stopped being supportive of your health, and I haven't started supporting your SPAG. Nothing has changed jb, except your perception of my actions.
"It's hard to, but I'm starting to believe some of you actually believe these things.  That is completely beyond my ability to understand if that is really the case, but things never cease to amaze me."

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +357/-85
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #436 on: October 17, 2013, 11:24:14 AM »
I miss your support and Jags.  I need all the support I can get.

The single most supportive thing I have done for you ever was to suggest, quite strongly, that you STOP posting in these topics while you are fighting cancer. I haven't stopped being supportive of your health, and I haven't started supporting your SPAG. Nothing has changed jb, except your perception of my actions.

Either you still don't get why she's really here or you're blind to it.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Offline Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +198/-7
« Reply #437 on: October 17, 2013, 11:55:49 AM »
^^^Really? Even if you are correct (I believe you offered lying or schizophrenic as alternatives), that still tells me that there is a human being who is hurting badly on the other end of the internet connection. That may mean little or nothing to you, but taking her at her word regarding her health costs me nothing, and accusing her of lying (which I don't believe is the case) is f'ing unnecessarily cruel. I can dig up compassion for people I don't agree with Nam - I know that's not your way, but I'm comfortable with it. If you think that makes me blind or clueless, I can live with that as well.

You keep doing what you do best - calling bullshit whenever you see it in no uncertain terms - and I'll keep doing what I think I do well - trying to understand the other person's position whether I agree with it or not. I appreciate your input, even when I don't appreciate your methods.
"It's hard to, but I'm starting to believe some of you actually believe these things.  That is completely beyond my ability to understand if that is really the case, but things never cease to amaze me."

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +357/-85
« Reply #438 on: October 17, 2013, 12:25:13 PM »
Post removed as it appears unhelpful.

This post contained Nam's view on the relationship between Junebug's medical condition (whywontgodhealamputees.com/forums/index.php/topic,25463.406.html) and her motives for posting on WWGHA.

Below, and before this post was reported, Aufanglir has reminded us of the need to remain, at least roughly, on topic. This is good advice.

GB Mod

« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 06:37:46 AM by Graybeard »
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Offline Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +198/-7
« Reply #439 on: October 17, 2013, 12:53:40 PM »
^^^For fuck sake Nam, it's not like I don't understand what you are saying, I'm simply choosing to behave differently.

You've made your position clear. I get it. If that makes me a sap, so be it. It's not a race to the bottom.

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +131/-7
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #440 on: October 17, 2013, 01:48:30 PM »
As far as spag goes.  There are 100's of thousands of people out there with the same beliefs as myself.  In fact, I was informed a few days back that my spag is in agreement with Gene Roddenberry's spag. I'm proud to be a spagger.  I don't trust others to guide me through the deepest questions in my mind.  You can't find anything cruel about my belief!!!

I believe you misunderstand SPAG. There is no issue about whether your beliefs equate to anyone else's beliefs -- that's merely a popularity contest. Rather, SPAG refers to the habits of believers to pick and choose the elements of a religion or god that they like and ignore or reject the elements they don't. To compare your beliefs to others serves only to find kindred spirits, but it doesn't address the issue of what SPAG is: a buffet of beliefs, eat what you like, pass over the rest.

If that were all that occurred, we probably wouldn't be having a conversation. It's when believers try to enforce their practices or morals upon others that SPAGgers suffer the reality of inconsistencies in beliefs.

Why would a person not want to be treated with kindness?  Either way if he doesn't like my kindness he should just let me alone.  That's who I am his polar opposite.  I am kind he is cruel.  I'm not going to change.

I'm sure you have heard the wisdom of Treat others as you wish to be treated (which is self-serving), but it is more accurately stated as Treat others as they wish to be treated (which is meeting the other's person's needs, not your own).

« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 05:29:17 AM by Chronos »
John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +941/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #441 on: October 17, 2013, 04:46:48 PM »
I don't think JB cares if her views are accurate or verifiable, as long as they make her feel good. I loved fairy tales, too. When I was 8.  &)
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +357/-85
« Reply #442 on: October 17, 2013, 09:23:56 PM »
^^^For fuck sake Nam, it's not like I don't understand what you are saying, I'm simply choosing to behave differently.

You've made your position clear. I get it. If that makes me a sap, so be it. It's not a race to the bottom.

Did I anger you? Are you upset? I'm not a hugger but....

;)

-Nam

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +413/-5
« Reply #443 on: October 18, 2013, 04:00:48 AM »
Everyone back on topic please.  
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +413/-5
« Reply #444 on: October 18, 2013, 05:59:32 AM »
Junebug, Angus, your last posts have been removed as they directly ignored moderator instruction, as will any other posts that do likewise.

I repeat: everyone back on topic please
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.

Offline Angus and Alexis

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
  • Retired Residential Tulpamancer.
« Reply #445 on: October 18, 2013, 06:00:30 AM »
Any theists here who can make an argument on how atheists have no meaning in life?
I would like to know.
Edit: i spent quite some time on that post *shakes fist*
Rule 1: No pooftas. Rule 2: No maltreating the theists, IF, anyone is watching. Rule 3: No pooftas. Rule 4: I do not want to see anyone NOT drinking after light out. Rule 5: No pooftas. Rule 6: There is NO...rule 6.

Offline Jonny-UK

• Graduate
  • Darwins +31/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #446 on: October 18, 2013, 06:46:30 AM »
Going back to the original question, how do animals fit into this?
We are the only species, out of millions, that can ask ourselves about the meaning of life.
Do animals not prove that thinking about meaning is completely unnecessary to our lives.
We are more intelligent than other life forms but they all get through life the same as we do (born,eat,reproduce,die,etc).
We are all alive..............no meaning needed.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 07:16:06 AM by Jonny-UK »
"Do I look like someone who cares what god thinks" - pinhead

Offline Boots

• Reader
  • Darwins +101/-0
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #447 on: October 18, 2013, 09:17:24 AM »
Going back to the original question, how do animals fit into this?
We are the only species, out of millions, that can ask ourselves about the meaning of life.
Do animals not prove that thinking about meaning is completely unnecessary to our lives.
We are more intelligent than other life forms but they all get through life the same as we do (born,eat,reproduce,die,etc).
We are all alive..............no meaning needed.

right on, Jonny.  It is my firm belief that the ONLY thing that differentiates us from "lower animals" (besides opposable thumbs) is speech.  As soon as our brains could make our mouths create a sound that we attached meaning to, we could begin abstract thought.  And create such questions as "why are we here?"  Just because we developed the ability to formulate the question does not mean there is necessarily a satisfactory answer.
It's one of the reasons I'm an atheist today.  I decided to take my religion seriously, and that's when it started to fall apart for me.
~jdawg70

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +941/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #448 on: October 18, 2013, 06:03:21 PM »
^^^True dat. A lot of interesting questions have no determinant answer-- where do numbers come from? what is beauty? why is there something rather than nothing? cats or dogs? what the eff is inside a chicken nugget?
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +357/-85
« Reply #449 on: October 18, 2013, 10:07:41 PM »
^^^True dat. A lot of interesting questions have no determinant answer-- where do numbers come from? what is beauty? why is there something rather than nothing? cats or dogs? what the eff is inside a chicken nugget?

I know the last one! I know the last one!

Dog.

;)

-Nam

Offline median

• Reader
  • Darwins +201/-16
  • Yahweh: Obviously not obvious.
    • Talk Origins
« Reply #450 on: October 21, 2013, 04:13:27 PM »
Christians, and other religious people, just spout this mantra because they assumed it was true (like every other part of their theology) based upon their prior assumption of the bible and their gullibility ('hungry ears'). A pastor, preacher, minister, or father figure preached it from the proverbial pulpit (or the actual one) and they bought it - not because they thought about it and actually did some homework but because they believe what they do in order to feel comfortable and important, and anything toward that end is beneficial in their eyes. Thus, they have no problem accepting what their pastor says on Sundays (as my dad often does, and often quotes) because it caters to their intuitions, desires, and psychological cravings.

The assertion that without God life has no meaning is meaningless itself. It assumes there must be "cosmic meaning" in order for life to have any meaning while also assuming that the term "meaning" applies to only that which is 'eternal'. This faulty thinking ought to be resisted through and through by anyone who cares about truth.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. Carl Sagan

Offline epidemic

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +61/-14
« Reply #451 on: October 24, 2013, 06:28:17 AM »
No, no screwtape...you're a big meanie.

;)

-Nam

Actually screw tape was not rude or obnoxious in that post.  He presented a reasoned factual case and refrained from name calling, sarcasm ...

I am not saying you cant present a case to a believer.  You should just refrain from things like calling them stupid.  Calling someone names breaks down communication AFAIAC. 

Offline Boots

• Reader
  • Darwins +101/-0
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #452 on: October 24, 2013, 08:26:34 AM »
Actually screw tape was not rude or obnoxious in that post.  He presented a reasoned factual case and refrained from name calling, sarcasm ...

I am not saying you cant present a case to a believer.  You should just refrain from things like calling them stupid.  Calling someone names breaks down communication AFAIAC.

One of the problems is, you get a particular type of mind engaged, and they react in a wrong-headed fashion.  Perfect example was my calling JB out on an Appeal to Ignorance fallacy, and she took it as me labeling her with the epithet "ignorant."  Well, *sssssoooort* of...but not really.  We spent a good page + trying to explain the fallacy and she pretty much ignored it, preferring to think I/we were insulting her rather than taking apart her argument.

When folks tie their identities to their arguments, they cannot differentiate between someone saying "that idea is stupid" and "you're stupid."  To them, they're synonymous.
It's one of the reasons I'm an atheist today.  I decided to take my religion seriously, and that's when it started to fall apart for me.
~jdawg70

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +413/-5
« Reply #453 on: October 25, 2013, 02:13:51 AM »
<<taps foot>>

Offline Angus and Alexis

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
  • Retired Residential Tulpamancer.
« Reply #454 on: October 25, 2013, 02:20:56 AM »
As a question, does any one here know where the topic phrase was first used?
Rule 1: No pooftas. Rule 2: No maltreating the theists, IF, anyone is watching. Rule 3: No pooftas. Rule 4: I do not want to see anyone NOT drinking after light out. Rule 5: No pooftas. Rule 6: There is NO...rule 6.

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +357/-85
« Reply #455 on: October 25, 2013, 01:28:11 PM »
No, no screwtape...you're a big meanie.

;)

-Nam

Please learn to read sarcasm, especially when an emoticon is added.

-Nam